All reviewsrelaxation roomaqua terracelocker roomhot tubclub roomfrench countrysidemonet paintingmain buildingfoot bathturn down serviceoutdoor jacuzziexercise classesdining roommonet's gardenrisottothe cottageskoi pond
Reviewed September 9, 2010

After reading the reviews, we decided to book anyway. We travel throughout the country and abroad. We are not snobs about our accommodations. This is a lovely small resort that gives impeccable service. The gym is very up to date and modern, my husband is a gym rat and he loved it. To be fair I must say we only ate breakfast at the resort. The food and service were excellent . The porch overlooking the pond was a plesant view over coffee, They even gave me food for the fish.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Before our trip, I did some research on Mirbeau - including reading reviews on Trip Advisor. As we pulled up, I was terrified that we would find a dilapidated shack with immature teenagers running the show and rooms that were falling apart.

Imagine my surprise to find that our overall experience was excellent, with a few exceptions.

THE BAD:
-When we first arrived, it was very confusing as to where the entrance was. This led to driving around/ending up at the spa entrance/turning around, etc. Also, there was no one there to greet us at the front door. We lugged all of our bags up to the front desk, where we were met by an indifferent employee who barely acknowledged us. Not exactly the warm welcome you'd expect. At least at a Marriott they put your stuff on a cart right away and greet you with a smile.

-The place is slightly dated. And I do mean ever so slightly. It has hit that ten year mark where it's almost time for a sprucing up. The carpet wasn't the freshest and there were marks on the wall. But nothing too distracting. I was with a group of women with very discernible tastes and we all found it perfectly fine.

-The women at the spa's front desk are, again, not the warmest. It's just so bizarre...why are you in the customer service industry if you clearly have a distaste for the customers? Luckily, the rest of the staff was wonderful and more than helpful throughout our stay. Apparently they stick all the sour pusses at the front desks.

THE GOOD:

-The ambiance is stunning. You truly feel as if you are in a chateau in the French countryside. The property (including, yes, that beautiful Monet-inspired garden) is absolutely lovely and welcome retreat, for me, from city life. It is well-kept and beautiful.

-The beds are comfortable (though the foam pillows had a distinct smell...) and the bathrooms are roomy. The shower is amazing - from the shower head to the water pressure to all the delicious-smelling product. I didn't want to get out.

-The spa was great. A lovely, relaxing, grotto-like quiet room. A steam room and a sauna. A large locker room area with lots of amenities. The massage I had was incredible. The masseuse chatted with me only when I chatted with her and the fireplace/low lighting/soothing music was wonderful. Worth every penny. I felt relaxed and rejuvenated.

-The fitness area is your standard hotel gym but it was clean and the machines were well kept. I wanted to take a fitness class but unfortunately didn't get around to it; they have an extensive schedule of cardio, strength training, yoga, etc.

-Breakfast was included in our package - a hot breakfast the first day, a continental breakfast the second. The waitresses were lovely and prompt. The food was just fine - not the best I've ever had, but certainly not the worst. It truly was the setting -- outside, overlooking the garden, with a complimentary newspaper and a delicious cup of coffee -- that made it so worthwhile. We didn't eat dinner at the restaurant, though we did have wine and cheese in the library-type room.

-Even though the hotel was booked up, it certainly didn't feel that way -- a good thing. It wasn't overly crowded and the entire vibe was quite tranquil.

-The town of Skaneateles is picture-perfect and worth a quick trip for some shopping/dining (though, stay away from Blue Water Grill...the meal there was mediocre at BEST). It's also worth it to drive the forty minutes and hit some of the wineries near Cayuga Lake. Stunning locations, delicious food and wonderful wine (I recommend Sheldrake Point). Rosalie's Cucina (located next to Mirbeau) was good for a decent meal.

Overall, would I go back or recommend this place to others? Absolutely. Sure, there are a few issues, but nothing that could potentially ruin a trip. I'd say that the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. That said, I did arrive with low expectations due to the review I read here prior to going but still...it's a lovely place for a romantic getaway or a girls weekend and I think that if you choose to go, you'll be quite surprised yourself by how wonderful it is.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank GreekGirl101
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I gave Mirbeau the benefit of the doubt after a bad experience a few years ago and decided to return once again. Is it possible that every single aspect about the place has gone downhill since? There were rude employees at the front desk when we arrived, in the spa, and in the dining room. The rooms are downright terrible and literally falling apart, and we couldn't get the heat to turn off! Nor would anyone help us! Even after several calls to the front desk.
When we went down to the spa for our treatments we were treated horribly by the woman at the spa desk, she acted as though she were annoyed with our presence. The spa itself was nice, aside from the laughter of goofing off employees which I found very disrupting as I tried to relax in the pool area. My massage was the only aspect of my stay at Mirbeau which I even slightly enjoyed.
We were expecting the once elegant french cuisine for dinner as before, but we were thoroughly disappointed with a "French Steak House..." My exact words when we looked at the menu: "You're kidding, right?" We almost left to find dinner elsewhere, but thought that would be rude of us, so we stayed for a mediocre dinner. Our package included breakfast so we headed down to the dining room the next morning and this may have been the biggest shock of all. We were paying $10 each for a horrid buffet of old cheese, fruit and two types of cured fish. None of which was fresh. If we wanted to upgrade to eggs and potatoes it was another $6 on top of the $10 we already paid!!! Our server that morning was exceptionally grumpy and claimed she was tired from just getting back from her honeymoon. We waited forever for the server to bring us plates so we could could go to the buffet, then she proceeded to ignore us and be overly chatty with another table.
We didn't leave the server a tip, because in our eyes, she didn't deserve one. As we were leaving , she inappropriately ran off to another employee to loudly complain about us!
This was my last overpaid trip to Mirbeau, we will not be returning after two bad experiences too many.

2  Thank beachbumm5
Reviewed July 25, 2010

My husband and I live nearby and frequent the spa, but do not stay for an overnight trip based on higher than average room rates. So, I'd say we've been to the spa at least 20 times over the past few years and each visit have spent the majority of the day at the spa for treatments, lunch and ambiance. Average money spent between $500 and $1000 each visit. We've traveled the world a bit and treat ourselves to a spa resort every place we go, so I can say we have some experience all over the world with different spas.

We typically travel here for our anniversary and look forward to it each year. This year we chose to have 2 treatments each - 2 massages for my husband and a massage and facial for myself.

Upon arrival (they could only give us an appointment after noon 3 weeks in advance) we were informed they had no "summer weight" bathrobes clean and we were given heavy terricloth robes to start and someone would bring us robes when they were ready.
About one week before our visit I had looked on the intenet for the fitness schedule which had the wrong month posted. I was really looking forward to a yoga class (I participate in yoga clasees 3 times a week) and as if reading my mind, our receptionist asked us if were planning to join a fitness class and I mentioned to her my internet experience and she simply replied "you should have called us to get the schedule". My bad.

Having been here before my husband and I were allowed to go right to the facilities. Since we planned to be there early to use the dry suana and steam rooms prior to meeting in the "quiet room", we were happy to start our relaxing day. I proceed to put on my robe and noticed I didn't have a tie on mine, so I went back to the desk to see if maybe they had robes ready yet. Sure enough they did and I reminded the same receptionist that greeted us my husband would probably like his robe too. She opened the men's facility doors and hollered his name twice and said she'd check the quiet room later. He never was given his robe.

I went back to the ladies facilities and was going to use the toilet and realized there was a line waiting to use it - and I mean one toilet - out of two one was out of order. So I finally got my chance and realized there was no toilet paper. At this point I'm starting to get a little agaitated. So, I decided it was time to use the sauna and steam room - very nice - great cold rain shower right in the steam room - a new addition since I'd been there last. Looking forward to a nice ice cold towel when getting out of dry to wet rooms, there are none - they had not been replenished. I finally got to the toilet (someone had gotten paper delivered) So, off to the quiet room.

My husband was there in one of their great lounge chairs, but the quiet room is never really quiet and there were many people waiting for a place to sit down and having not so quiet conversations. I got up to get some nice cucumber water (which was empty and not refilled the entire 4 hours we were there) and when I got back there was a gentleman preparing to take my chair next to my husband. I politely asked him if he would mind if I sat back down. He was rather embarrased. The outdoor jacuzzi area door access and locker access is directly from the quiet room and all doors are bustling with people (spa service people too) in and out and banging shut each time. Isn't there some sort of weather stripping they can use to quiet banging doors?

So, finally time for out massages - I was looking forward to a vinotherapy and monet's favorite for my hubby. My therpaist talked the entire time. I chose not to respond to her questions after a while. My husband enjoyed his. On to our next treatment (we scheduled them back to back) my facial and for him a massage with the theropist using their feet - both good, but his therapist had on a toe ring that scratched him up a bit and he had to ask her to lighten up on his hip bones. Why was she on his hip bones?

Over the past few years the spa was spectacular and we were pleased when listed in the top 10 for Spa Finder, but this year we have noticed the service and faiclities going down hill a bit. We were disappointed in this recent visit and felt we hold share some of the "picky" things that weren't up to their typical standards over the past few years. Based on our experience at other spas for the price they charged us (plus 18% gratuity) it was $630..... a bit much when there wasn't any water to drink and no toilet paper.....

1  Thank SpaNuts
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Let me start by saying that I would still return to Mirbeau in a heartbeat. But this, my third visit, was the worst so far. The last time that we went to Mirbeau, there were several changes for the better. This time, it was the opposite. Some improvements are needed, or sadly, I fear that Mirbeau will not maintain its status.

My husband and I traveled to Mirbeau on what happened to be the summer's hottest day so far. And Mirbeau's air conditioning stopped working after we checked in. This put a damper on the whole trip, as it was over 80 degrees in our room. I called the front desk and no one answered. I went down to the front desk (it was around 11:00 p.m. by then) and the woman apologetically said that the a/c was indeed out throughout the inn and that she had given away all the fans. She said that she could not do anything about the inconvenience but suggested that we complain upon checkout and ask for some money back. I'm not sure what could have been done differently about this unexpected event, but leaving people in such hot rooms did not seem to be a great idea. The next morning, a note of apology was slipped under our door with a 50% credit for that night's stay (approximately $100). The men's sauna was out of order, and exercise classes were cancelled due to the a/c problem. So despite the partial refund, we did not feel that we could partake in all that Mirbeau usually offers.

Overall, everything was clean. Towels were replenished quickly. A gardener was maintaining the property. Housekeeping and turndown were good. But there was a hairball sticking to one of the spa's shower walls and a large bandaid was not removed from the ground by the whirlpool in over a day. Mirbeau books day spa appointments and also sells season passes for people to use the facilities. Still, it was a weekday and not crowded.

The staff was noticeably younger than what we had experienced before, likely college students on summer break. They were professional and friendly but often it seemed that a manager was not present. They tried hard, and to their credit, there were some picky guests!

Our spa treatments were very nice. Perhaps not the best we've ever had, but still very good.

The restaurant is new in that it's a new chef and new menu. I was a little concerned, but our food was very good. The food is less expensive than before and is a la carte. There is a lot of local steak that has been aged at Mirbeau. Sauces, jams, breads, etc. are made on the premises. My steak was delicious, as were the sides. The breakfast was good but not amazing. I was disappointed that the breakfast included in the package was the continential breakfast. In the past, all items were included. Still, you could pay the different and upgrade the breakfast, but it seemed like nickel and diming.

All in all, we would definitely return but hope that Mirbeau makes some minor improvements that would go a long way.