“Just Lovely”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Rhode Island
“Just Lovely”
Reviewed April 5, 2007

I just spent 3 days at the Mirbeau and have to say it's one of the loveliest places I've ever been to. That atmosphere has a real Monet/southern France feel. Our room looked out over the koi pond and Japanese foot bridge, lovely in March but must be breathtaking in summer, when all the rose bushes are in bloom. This was one of the prettiest views from a hotel room I have ever had. The gracious rooms are more than spacious and the bathrooms are double sinked, with a claw foot tub and large walk in shower. I did hear the phone ringing next door, so perhaps the walls are thin but noises (voices or tv) from the neighboring rooms never bothered us. We found a wonderful rate on their website (be sure to check, especially off season when they're trying to lure people in) which included spa treatments, which was the primary reason for the visit. We were not disappointed - impressive resting area with a huge common massaging foot bath, clean good sized locker area with many personal amenities (that varied from day to day, though; that was weird). My friends and I had 13 treatments total and all were wonderful, right up there with the best we've ever had The Aqua Terrace is such a lovely feature. I found all the staff to be gracious and pleasant - one morning we brought in pastry for breakfast, they had no problem with us eating in the little common area outside the dining room and even provided us with napkins and offered to clean up. They did seem to all be on the young side, which is neither here nor there. The only thing I noticed was there didn't seem to be anyone around to take our bags, not that it mattered, but they didn't even offer, when we checked in. We did not eat dinner there, we did have breakfast which was very nice but overpriced ($5 bagels?) but I understand the dining room food is excellent. We ate at Rosalie's (a 5 minute walk behind the cottages) and the Sherwood Inn, both good, and had lunch at Valentine's, a great place for an inexpensive lunch or quick supper. We went to both the Long Point and King Ferry wineries, chosen because they're about 5 minutes from each other and both were great experiences - I had emailed ahead, they offered us tours and extensive tastings. But back to the Mirbeau, probably you can find fault no matter where you stay if you look hard enough, but between the lovely room, beautiful grounds, friendly staff, upscale spa and general casually elegant ambiance, unless you have an isolated experience I can't imagine your having anything but a memorable time at this wonderful inn.

• Liked — Lovely view of the pond from the room
  • Disliked — NOthing in particular
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed March 12, 2007

My fiance and I stayed here one night mid-week and absolutely loved it. We received a welcome glass of champagne on arrival. Stay in the cottages if you can. Tastefully decorated, huge bathroom including walk in shower, fireplace. Very romantic. The grounds are simply stunning - very quiet and peaceful. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for. I can't comment on the dining (we walked up to Rosalie's
for dinner), but the spa was very relaxing. The resting area was rather impressive.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
SkaneatelesNY
Reviewed March 10, 2007

My husband and I are in our 50's and wanted a superior oassis to spend our 35th wedding anniversary. We found it right in our own back yard at Mirbeau Inn and Spa.

My husband really wanted a Spa stay, but I was a little hesitant about attending a Spa because I'm not the picture perfect body type, so while I expected him to have a wonderful time, what I didn't expect was for all my personal apprehensions to be erased so completely by an expert staff that was as considerate as they were capable.

Our whole stay, beginning with side by side massages, extraordinary dining, and concluding with a nights sleep that has never been matched in an Inn before, was everything we wanted our 35th anniversary to be and more.

I highly recommend this wonderful escape into pamperd comfort to anyone.

Thank you Mirbeau for giving us the perfect memory.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank STaylorSkaneatelesNY
West Chester, PA
Reviewed December 10, 2006

Our entire visit was so relaxing... from the spa massages to the wonderful food at the restaurant to the outdoor hot tub and indoor resting area. The room was so cozy and quaint. The staff was helpful and polite. Everything met or exceeded my expectations.

The only con I can come up with would be the bedding. Well in particular, the flat sheet. The fitted sheet and pillowcases were soft but the flat sheet had a paper feel to it. It reminded me of being in a doctor's office sitting on the examination table.

• Liked — The convenience of the spa, outdoor hot tub, and restaurant
  • Disliked — The bedding
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring your bathing suit for the outdoor hot tub!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vld8783
winston-salem, nc
Reviewed October 24, 2006

We recently completed a five night stay at Mirbeau as part of our Honeymoon to the Finger Lakes and I have to say we hated... leaving!

The stay was fantastic -- from the moment we arrived on the Mirbeau property Sunday evening to the sad day that we checked out.

I made our Spa reservations weeks in advance and even the telephone service was flawless and pleasant. The reservationist gladly explained the various spa services, answered my questions, and was happy to fulfill my request that all of our technicians be female.

Our evening arrival allowed us to see the property's well-manicured grounds a-glow with landscape lighting and upon entering the resort we were welcomed and made to feel comfortable.

All of the details were as we had requested and we walked through a beautiful lobby area, past the oasis of a large courtyard, and up to our Club Room.

The room was spacious, well-decorated, romantic, and there was classical music on the Bose Wave radio as we entered. The fireplace was perfect and a large armoire well-matched the decor.

The bathroom was gorgeous with a modern clawfoot tub and a separate shower big enough for two. The room was stocked with Mirbeau luxury bath products and the terry cloth robes were a useful touch.

Our Club Room included access to the Club Living Room (which we had to ourselves for the first three nights). Each day we enjoyed a fresh fruit, granola, and pastry breakfast, an afternoon wine and cheese reception, and an evening of fresh-baked cookies, milk, tea, and Starbucks coffee.

Spa Mirbeau deserves its own review, but in short -- the technicians were excellent, experienced, and welcoming. The resting area and aqua terrace were impeccable and peaceful, and the locker rooms were clean and well-appointed. We tried nine different treatments over five days and couldn't find one that was disappointing. The Art of Living was particularly fantastic.

We did not eat at Mirbeau, only because we enjoyed the Village so much that we ate out at other places every night.

Perhaps the best part of the stay was the kindness of the staff. From making specially baked cookies for my wife who is allergic to chocolate and bringing us batteries when my camera abruptly burnt out to offering many a useful tip for daily activities and restaurants and shops to enjoy -- they were remarkable.

I can't imagine how previous reviewers have been disappointed. The only thing we can think to suggest to the Mirbeau is a finer quality of bed linens. The bed was fabulous but the linens fell a bit short of matching the luxury of the rest of the stay.

Yet, the linens took nothing away from our stay and in fact, I think were now suffering a bit of Mirbeau separation anxiety!

• Liked — The Club Level experience
  • Disliked — The bed linens
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay on the Club level and take advantage of the Spa
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kshute
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed October 23, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Mirbeau for our anniversary last week and overall I was enchanted with the place. We stayed mid-week (Wed-Fri) in mid-October, which is decidedly off-season, and recieved an excellent rate for that reason. Our room was under $200 a night, after taxes, when it normally would have been closer to $400. So we knew we were getting quite a bargain, and that does adjust your expectations.

Our route to the hotel took us through the Seneca Lake wine trail, so we didn't end up arriving in town until 8. Note: most restaurants close early. We tried Joe's Pasta Gagrage only to find the kitchen had closed at 8pm! Arrived at Mirbeau around 9pm. The front desk is not very obvious- we drove around a bit to find it. Our greeting was rather indifferent as well. And when we arrived at our room, after hunting for the small numbers in the dark, there was a forgotten folded serving table in a nook outside our door. Not the kind of first impression one would expect. But we loved our room, which was an upper-level cottage room. The decor is lovely, the linens divine and the bathroom was perfect. The view was of the interior "courtyard", which was a beautifully landscaped take on Monet's garden, with a large pond and flowering waterlilies. And really, for most people that is what you pay for- the room and the amenities. I read in their in-room book that the beds are made just for them and can be purchased- which made me laugh until I tried one. I may just end up ordering one of those if I can think of a way to work from bed!

The folowing day I had a massage at the spa. Pricier than what I am used to (in a major city) but not nearly as out of line as the ridiculously priced manicure. It was, however, a wonderful massage and worth the price. Overnight guests can visit the spa for the steam room or sauna or the Aqua Terrace's oh-so-wonderful hot tub, which is unlike any hot tub I've ever seen. Do not miss this- my husband and I went out (it's outside) despite a chilly rain. There is also a small but well-equipped cardio room and exercise classes, but I'm guessing that unless you are super-serious about exercising, most people will choose the spa over the cardio. Still, all facilities are in top condition. The spa also has a small shop which sold the same shampoo and body lotion that was stocked in the room. Loved the rosemary mint body lotion. Their lotions use essential oils, and all of them smell and feel wonderful

We did not eat at Mirbeau at all, preferring simple breakfasts on the road while exploring and dining at local eateries. It would have been nice to have coffee in the room. That was a surprising omission. And no free bottled water, although the stuff that comes out of the tap up here tastes better than Evian.

• Liked — The serene environment and wonderful amenities.
  • Disliked — No in-room coffee.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a cottage room.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Rochester, NY
Reviewed October 15, 2006

We went to Mirbeau for a quiet weekend getaway in February. We ended up getting the room closest to the entryway and dining area, and could hear the outer door open -every- time someone walked down the hall. We could also hear just about every word our neighbors were saying in their room, and some of the clients seemed rude and obnoxious (apparently they were not there for a relaxing weekend). We requested a new room and was told there was nothing they could do. Dinner was billed twice to my credit card (although they fixed that pretty quickly.) All in all it was -not- a very relaxing weekend. We will not be going back there again. I felt like I was robbed of a few hundred dollars.

Pros: bathtub, food and wine at the bar, the meditation room.

Cons: way too expensive, hotel service not very accomodating or pleasant, no soundproofed rooms, other guests were sometimes annoying.

(However, we do recommend Rosalie's Cucina if you are in the area.)

• Liked — bathtub
  • Disliked — price, quality of the room
  • Tips/Secrets — don't get the room closest to the front desk
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank maebyn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
#5 of 7 in Skaneateles
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
Inn at the Finger Lakes
34 State Historic Luxury Suites Skaneateles

Been to Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles? Share your experiences!