“Disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Buffalo
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 31, 2005

Stayed while visiting friends in July. It was very expensive - which is OK if everything is great. But it wasn't. Not awful - just not right.

When we arrived there was no parking by the door, and no doorman or parker to help with the car either. After we checked in, we had to drive the car to the room and park it. It wasn't as easy as it sounds, since there wasn't a single parking space available near our room.

The room was nice, and had a pretty view of a small pond and a garden. But it was showing some wear and tear. There was dust on the TV, a hair on the shower floor and a desk so small that it was difficult to set up my computer and work. There was supposed to be high speed internet, but it wasn't working and the front desk couldn't help me because they couldn't reach anyone who knew what to do.

The Spa was attractive. My massage was OK, but nothing special. The lockers were strange. They were too small for a hangar, so I had to pile my clothes in a stack on top of my shoes.

Dinner was disappointing. But since I've written about that already under The Dining Room at Mirbeau Inn & Spa, I won't repeat it here.

It's a pretty place, with nice rooms and comfortable beds. But it lacks some real basics and the nice touches that make a difference.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank westman22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed July 11, 2005

Every June, my best friends and I take a weekend retreat (usually 3-4 days) from our hectic lives in New York City to a resort/spa away from all the stressful hustle and bustle. It is a great time to catch up with eachother, unwind a LOT, and enjoy the peace and serenity of our surroundings. In the past years, we have enjoyed our stays at the Emerson Inn & Spa in the Catskills (past two years...fabulous place....too bad it was destroyed by fire in April) and Nemacolin Woodlands in Southwest Pennsylvania (the two years before that). We came to Mirbeau at the last minute, as we originally had plans to stay at Emerson for our third year, but had to cancel our reservations because of the fire. One of my friends had seen, a few years back, a feature on CNN about this place and thought we might give it a whirl.

THE SETTING: My initial impressions of the area were extremely positive, as our drive from the Syracuse airport to Mirbeau (which lasted about 30 mins) exceeded my expectations. The area itself, Syracuse and the Finger Lakes Region, has some absolutely beautiful scenery and has so much more to offer (on initial inspection) than I expected. We arrived into Skaneateles, were immediately impressed by the town and were in awe of the lake, onto which Mirbeau overlooks. It was certainly one of the most beautiful lakes I have ever seen. The village of Skaneateles, in which Mirbeau is nestled, is a quaint little charm itself, with plenty of interesting and fabulous little shops and restaurants.

THE RESORT: Coming into Mirbeau, I was immediately overcome by the feeling that we were being taken into a fantastic country resort in the heart of France, with all the gorgeous Chateau-styled architecture, and the (what they call, and I agree) Monet-inspired gardens. We were greeted by and amazing amount of staff that not only parked our car, but also brought our luggage to our room and struck up quite a friendly conversation to make us feel welcome. We stayed in one of their cottages, that was luxuiously appointed and overlooked the gorgeous lake. After a relaxing soak in the huge tubs in our rooms, we all dawned our complimentary bathrobes and communed around a fantastic fireplace in the living room. Although it was gas-operated, it gave an incredible ambience at night while we enjoyed a few bottles of fantastic local wine direct from a Finger Lakes area vineyard. The beds were incredibly comfortable...definitely the best night sleep I've had in a LONG time. We ordered a lavish breakfast in our room every morning and were impressed by the service and the lengths they took to ensure our comfort throughout our stay in the cottage. We also enjoyed a first-class dinner on two of the three nights at Mirbeau....cheers to chef Moro!

THE SPA: One word...BLISS! The first full day of our trip, we started the day with breakfast and a workout in their fully-equipped gym, then we enjoyed the All Day Indulgence spa package, which was almost too much relaxation to handle! The most fabulous pedicure I have ever had, a great manicure, a body wrap, a facial and a fantastic lunch to top it off. Oh, and there's a sauna too. The following day, I enjoyed a fantastic Thai massage (some of my friends opted for the Swedish massage, which they loved), and an unbelievable Kur, which left my body feeling completely relaxed and rejuvenated. Probably the two most relaxing days of my life.

BEYOND MIRBEAU: At the end of our second full day, we spent some time in the village of Skaneateles, looking through some of the cute little shops, and enjoying a fantastic dinner at the Sherwood Inn. The village has an incredible atmosphere and surprising energy to it. The setting is absolutely picturesque, with the gorgeous lake and incredible homes that surround the area. As well, there were many interesting shops to enjoy and several restaurants to choose from. On our last full day, we decided to get out of the resort and see other things the area had to offer. We rented a car (that Mirbeau graciously arranged for us) and took a stop at the acclaimed Heron Hill vineyard for some fantastic wine tasting and a delicious lunch in their café. We then took a drive back into Syracuse to explore the city for a little while and enjoy a meal at another great restaurant downtown. The city was a bit small, definitely not what we were used to, but we found a nice little shopping area downtown called Armory Square and spent atleast an hour or two, driving all around town, trying to figure out where to have dinner (there are a LOT of choices). We ended up eating at this great Japanese/American (they call it "Asian-fusion") place called Ambrosia, in the center of Armory Square.

Overall, it was certainly one of the best weekends I have ever had. I would have to say it was much better than the time we spent at Emerson , and for a much more reasonable price. Though the accomodation at Emerson was nicer, I thought the Spa and dining experience at Mirbeau made this experience so much better. The hospitality in each place we visited in the Syracuse area was superb, most notably at Mirbeau. It was intended as a weekend of pure relaxation and rejuvenation, and I would agree that Mirbeau and the surrounding area had FAR exceeded my expectations....it was truly stress-free. Even the staff's friendly and hospitable comportment made you feel welcomed and relaxed. We did spend a lot of money, but it was well worth it....especially the pedicure, the body wrap and the food. And although we didnt have enough time to see and do everything we wanted (mainly because we spent so much time at Mirbeau), I feel this trip was certainly tops on my list! I was able to forget all my worries back at home and detach for a while, while bonding with my favorite people in the entire world. We had an excellent time, and plan to return after another stressful year in NYC.

• Stayed June 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
colorado
Reviewed April 13, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Spa this past year. We had a wonderful time in the room having a picnic by the fire. Our experience was amazing since we were together and totally enjoyed one anothers company. We loved the comfort of the room. We booked our room at a special discounted rate and we very pleased at the value. We were so pleased that we decided to go there again a few months later. This time we were met with an extremely rude group of staff members a total disappointment. All in all I would go there again only at the discounted room rate to enjoy the room and to eat in the other wonderful restaurants in the area. As a frequent traveller I wonder where the Spa finds the people that they hire, no other hotel in the area or in any area that I have been in is so lacking in customer service.

• Stayed January 2005
14 Thank ajl
Reviewed March 17, 2005

This is our second time at the Mirbeau. I was a bit shell-shocked when it came time to pay after our first visit. However, if you avoid the high season/weekends, this place is well worth the money. Rooms are fabulous, french country decor with lavish bathrooms. The grounds are beautifully done with a Monet inspired central garden. Spa and locker rooms are wonderful with rich materials thoughout. The whole place inspires and relaxes. The restaurant is excellent. Mirabeau is just outside the great little town of Skaneateles, which is a destination in itself.

• Stayed August 2004
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Arkport ny
Reviewed March 10, 2005

We stayed at the Finger Lakes Lodge for a get away weekend and had a fabulous time. The Mirbeau Spa facilities were included, along with their wonderful beds. We were able to walk across the street to Rosalies Cucina and had a fabulous meal in front of the fireplace. The rooms all have DVDs and the rental place is right across the street. I can't recommend this place and this town enough for a weekend getaway. We didn't want to leave!

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank mossy88
Reviewed February 14, 2005

This is one of those hotels where the service can't match the beautiful facility. The beds are great. The bathroom was great with rain shower and clawed tubs. All this at a great value of $99/night with a view of the bridge and pond at the hotel's center. Dinner was great, as were the lemon souffle pancakes for breakfast. I had ordered a bath from the bath butler and the young man kinda bungled it (I didn't pay $20 for him to run a cold bath for my wife). There were some billing errors as well. All-in-all, a good, solid experience and a relaxing getaway.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 25, 2004

Perhaps the management took heed of some earlier comments, but we found the staff to be anything but snotty or rude. Every single person was pleasant and smiling, from the front desk clerk to the wait staff to the guy who took our bags out to the car on a very cold morning - and then started the engine to warm it up for us.

We found a great deal on a room at just $109 (check the hotel's own website for special offers and package deals), and the only thing that keeps me from giving this five stars is the lack of a coffee maker. The restaurant is superb and yes, quite expensive. In fact our dinner for two cost almost twice as much as the room itself. The food is creative and delicious, nice ambience, service outstanding, wine list extensive, and the chef sends out multiple 'freebies' to guests to sample between the regular courses.

The hotel offers some other nice little surprises, too, like the view from our bathroom window overlooking a beautiful grove of silver birches lit by subtle floodlights. And the wreaths hung on each balcony. And the call from someone at the hotel before our arrival, asking if we wanted wine, champagne or chocolate-covered strawberries waiting in the room.

We will definitely go back!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
#5 of 7 in Skaneateles
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
34 State Historic Luxury Suites Skaneateles
10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn

Been to Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles? Share your experiences!