“Relaxing anniversary”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
NYC
“Relaxing anniversary”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed for one night in celebration of our 5th Anniversary. Our experience was exactly what we had hoped it would be. We stayed in a cottage room on the 2nd floor. The room was clean, spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. The grounds are gorgeous and we loved looking out the window at the garden. We had dinner at the restaurant on the outside patio and were pleasantly surprised. Not the best meal I've ever eaten but it was definitely tasty and decadent. Still dreaming about the doughnut dessert. The spa was smaller than I thought it would be but it was nice and quiet. If it was any more crowded than it was, we may not have had the same experience. That goes for the entire hotel. Our experience was fabulous but we were there on a Friday. As we were checking out on Saturday, a wedding was taking over the place and we could tell the vibe was about to drastically change. (kids everywhere, many more people and the overall ambience was getting louder) I'm glad we had the wonderful experience we had, especially for the price we paid. We would definitely go back but I would make sure that there was not a wedding going on first.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
marym79, Guest Relations Manager at Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you so very much for your review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Mirbeau overnight and dining experiences! We are also particularly fond of our Coffee and a Donut dessert. When you return, we would suggest that you look toward mid-week as our hotel and spa does tend to be much busier on the weekends (especially during wedding season). Coming mid-week may also offer you savings! We look forward to having you as our guests at Mirbeau again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Just came back from a weekend at the Mirabeau. Husband and I enjoyed the ambiance of the property, and my husband has never slept better. We enjoyed a massage for 2, and while is was excellent, the price was outrageous, I will never pay that much again. My dinner was again made impressive by the surroundings, but I got a 3" X3" piece of Salmon on a plate with a whisper of watercress...that's it, for $29.....I ordered a side of swisschard and was charged another $9....what?!! We will not dine there again. We have traveled the world and usually the food is balanced by price, but not here. The room was lovely, and spaceous....but here again, the drapes were falling down ( I repaired them daily) the television NEVER, and we mean ever worked, though we had many attempts by staff to come to the room. I guess they gave up like we did. The elevator carpet was gross, and there were handprints all over the door...we laughed every time we went in...same prints. Promise me you'll do better, and we still won't pay $500 for a massage and won't pay $40 for a small salmon sample.We'll dine down the street, and since the tv doesn't work, we'll bring a good book.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank expecttehbest
Thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overnight stay and treatments at Mirbeau! We are also very sorry to hear about the troubles you experienced in our dining room. Upon your return, we would suggest that you visit our Wine Bar (open daily). The Wine Bar offers a more casual dining experience than our formal dining room. We will review your comments regarding our facilities with our maintenance staff. We do perform daily inspections of the property and will remedy any issues we find along the way. Thank you again for your comments and we hope that you will visit us again at Mirbeau.
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The skinny is that I'm torn. I stayed at the hotel for the weekend and partook in spa services like the couples' massage. In terms of ambiance, The Mirbeau is definitely the nicest place around here, but I'm surmising that perhaps them knowing it is why there are gaps in service. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are nice. The kicker is that while the staff members are all superficially polite, no one seems too interested in going out of their way to help you. It's a good value for me only in the sense that because I live in Syracuse, I'd otherwise have to travel much further to get a similar experience. But at the same time, the way I was treated there makes not want to give them my hard earned money as a matter if principle.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Mgh62000atgmail
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to read that you've enjoyed our grounds and accommodations at Mirbeau Inn & Spa. We strive to offer the highest and most sincere service to our guests... We sincerely apologize for not exceeding your expectations and hope to host you at Mirbeau again soon.
Penn Yan, NY
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Three ladies took another friend for pampering at the spa & late lunch for her 55th birthday. We had high expectations. Two of us have previously been there for dinner(3-4 times) and have always had fabulous dining experiences. It was a let down this time. I'll start with the positive. The actual service providers at the spa were all great, very well trained and we were all very happy with our various services. The service itself at the winebar for lunch was exceptional. The bartender, who was also the waiter, tried to be attentive. Unfortunately he had no help, so when the bar got busy we had to wait several times, not his fault. Cheese plate was excellent. Main course was poor, at best. One girl ordered a well done burger and had to send it back twice for more cooking(the center was pretty pink). Salmon seriously undercooked and we've never heard of bolognese sauce without tomatoes(crumbled hamburg, diced carrots and garlic swimming in hamburg grease). The fish taco's were good.
We were even more disappointed in the spa facility itself. We were never told it was CO-ED in the common areas, or that the whirlpool was outdoors. This presented a problem for two of us who didn't bring bathing suits(our fault for assuming)! The bar area in the spa wasn't open and though we were told twice they'd send someone over so we could order fruit or a glass of wine from upstairs, no one ever came to take the order(see lone bartender above). The changing room & "quietroom" were unkempt, used towels and sandals all over. Empty tissue holders, hot water urn, and used glasses thoughout both areas. The bathroom stalls(only two) were downright dirty with no toilet paper in one. We were asked by staff upon arrival to keep our voices down in the "quietroom". OK, but apparently that meant only whispering was allowed. Since we are four girls who rarely see each other, we wanted to visit. So mindful of others and because the birthday girl has a hearing issue, we sat out at the pool until it became too cold(62 was the high that day). When we came in, I felt we were using "inside voices" but we were shushed repeatedly by a man trying to sleep. We attempted to move to the other side, but we were apparently still too loud and it seems even occasional laughter is strictly forbidden! Since there was no where else to go without bothering others, we got dressed and went up for lunch. At least we were allowed to talk there.
Not the afternoon we had looked forward to. We're not inexperienced spa goers, we all know how to mind our manners and we've been in spa's all over the world. I'm afraid we won't be back to this one. Mary-Ellen

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank KeukaBill
Thank you for your review. We are very sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered during your recent Spa experience with us. We take great pride in offering the highest quality service, food, and facilities to our guests and apologize that we fell short with your visit. We will review your comments with our managers and staff and will correct any issues that we find. As you have enjoyed Mirbeau experiences before, we hope that you reconsider and come to visit us for a spa day again.
Syracuse, New York, USA
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My Fiancé and I go to Mirbeau anywhere between 3 and 6 times a year. As a matter of fact, last time we were there in May, he proposed!!!! We went this weekend to celebrate 10 years of knowing each other, 4 months of being engaged and anything else we could think of to give us an excuse to go there!!!

I am going to write this review based on information as if someone has never been there before, rather than our specific experience this past visit. (The Experience is always amazing so I’d rather talk about the amenities.)

We had a 2 PM couples massage on a Friday afternoon. They tell you to get there at least 30 minutes before your treatment. We try to go at least an hour before. The entire facility is great and you can use all the amenities before and after your treatment so we always go early to take full advantage. **This place is mobbed on weekends. Try to go during the week for a much calmer, quieter experience.

We got there about an hour and a half early and had a drink at the wine bar upstairs. It was just us and was nice to relax for a bit. There was no bartender but we were promptly greeted by a nice fellow who let us taste our wine before serving it to us to ensure we liked it. After he poured our glasses, he again left the bar so we had complete privacy to chat and spend some time together. There are also great seating areas in the bar. Couches, chairs and a wonderful fireplace that was going. Great place to hang out.

After having a few glasses of wine, we headed to the locker rooms. When you check in you get a robe, sandals and a tour of the locker rooms (if you need one) as well as instruction on how to use the lockers. Now… it seems crude to call this a locker room. It’s more like a bathroom in a billionaire’s home that you get to hang out in for a while. There is a eucalyptus steam room, a sauna, 3 shower stalls, a huge makeup/mirrored counter, water cooler, all kinds of amenities like combs, brushes, hairspray, hairdryers, lotions and there are cold cloths in a dish in the middle of the room. (It’s quite warm in there so be prepared). There’s also 2 very large sitting ottomans for getting ready. What I love about the locker room is the lotions. There are HUGE bottles of their signature lotions for you to use as much as you wish. This place is a high end spa though, so be prepared for some full nudity in both the Ladies and Men’s locker rooms - although those that are more modest can change in the changing stalls or discreetly use your robe to cover yourself while you change. No one pays much attention either way so do what makes you feel comfortable.

After your finished in the locker room, you go out into the Relaxation room where both Men and Women join back up. It’s a round room that is dimly lit and has nice music playing. There is a foot pool in the middle to soak your feet but the water is usually HOT so be careful. It is imperative that the noise level in this room remain low. I have been there when it was loud and it completely takes away from the ambiance of the place. Leave your cell phone in your locker and just relax in here. There is cucumber water, apples, oranges, tea and all the towels you want. The chaise lounge chairs are surprisingly comfortable and I have found myself asleep on them more times than once after my treatment. This is the room you wait in until your therapist comes. When the Therapist comes to get you, they call everyone by their last names. If you’re like me and this makes me feel way too old, I always tell them to please call them by my first name (and they do).

The treatment rooms are great. Pretty simple but super nice. Same great lighting, nice relaxing music and comfy tables with sheets and blankets. They are ALWAYS professional and are great about the pressure you want. (I have only had massages here and no other treatments - although I have been meaning to try a facial – maybe next time). Phillip is my first choice – he is amazing and Peter is really good to. All the lady therapists seem to do a good job. I think my Fiancé has a different one every time and he has never had a bad massage.

After the massage they take you back to the relaxation room where we usually sit in a complete ‘mush ball’ for about 30 minutes because we are so relaxed. After that we usually go back in the locker room and change into our bathing suits.

The Aqua Terrace is AMAZING! It’s this 20/25 person hot tub with a waterfall in the middle! It’s awesome! There is a giant fireplace out there and a bar as well. The Bartender was great – she came over to the water and took our order and brought our drinks to us so we didn’t have to get out. Fall, Winter and cool spring nights are the best time to use this. I have been in the Aqua Terrace outside in a blizzard and it was AWESOME. There are hooks outside for your robe and lots of towels you can grab on your way out to the Aqua Terrace. In the winter – BE CAREFUL – if it’s snowing or icy – the sandals they give you are like ice skates!!!! It can be REALLY slippery out there. ***Also – when you’re done out in the Aqua Terrace and are heading back inside, remember to once again be quiet as the door leads right into the Relaxation room and there are almost always people in there relaxing or snoozing while they are waiting/finishing their treatments. Don’t forget to use the Bathing Suit spinner in the locker room to get all the water out of your suit and they conveniently have little plastic bags above the machine to put your bathing suit into so you don’t get the clothes and other items in your bag wet.

Take your time getting ready for your evening or afternoon and enjoy all the lotions and the sauna’s! We usually go to a nice dinner afterwards at Rosalie’s, The Sherwood or the Blue Water!

All in All – this place is amazing. I DO think it’s VERY Pricey but it’s very unique for our area. It takes a few times of going there to really see all the amenities there are to use. And I know I was nervous the first few times I went but am now very comfy and feel very at ease there. I have read that some people think it’s overpriced (and it may be) but I also think it needs to be ‘your thing’. If pampering and high end spa type stuff isn’t your cup of tea, then pass and do something that is up your alley.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DKTravel2
marym79, Guest Relations Manager at Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! We are happy that you’ve enjoyed your experiences at Mirbeau and wish to offer you our congratulations on your engagement! We appreciate your in-depth review and tips to others on the best ways to enjoy what we offer. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again at Mirbeau!
Buffalo, N.Y.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Had the pleasure of spending a wonderful night here as a treat with my daughter in late August and felt as if we had stepped into a Monet painting! From check-in to check-out everything was top notch. The spa is thoroughly equipped with a dry sauna and steam shower in the ladies locker room, a lovely and serene relaxation room, and a large outdoor hot tub - although to call it a hot tub doesn't really do it justice. There's a cozy fireplace and seating nearby which adds to the luxurious ambiance. All areas of the spa - including the exercise classes - are open to hotel guests at a small charge ($10 - $12) and well worth it. We both had massages -- which were fine, not off the chart -- and could choose the scent we wanted for a massage oil - a nice personal touch. (Spa services were a bit on the pricey side, although in line with what you'd pay at a high end resort. My expectations may have been too high.) The exercise classes were well lead with the instructors offering modifications for those who are hardcore athletes as well as those less inclined to move. A "Hooping" class - with hula hoops - proved to be great fun - and a good workout. The outdoor "flow yoga" was a wonderful way to start the day.

Our room was upstairs in one of the cottages with a view of the pond and it was all very lovely. We paid $300/night and felt it was worth it. Fabulous bathroom with a deep, claw foot soaking tub; an enormous walk in shower; and wonderful toiletries. Our room featured a fireplace, extremely comfortable bed, and Keurig coffee maker. Turn down service is always a nice touch - the music was on when we returned to our room after dinner, and the chocolates were delicious.

Breakfast was delicious. We received a $10 voucher which essentially covered the cost of our entrees. Lemon ricotta pancakes were memorable and my daughter's deep dish french toast smelled fabulous. Beautiful setting and attentive service.

This was a great mother/daughter trip but it would also be a lovely romantic getaway or girlfriends' retreat.

It's just a mile to town where you can stroll along the waterfront, shop, and choose from several good restaurants.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the pond if you want the full Monet effect!