All reviews sunset beach grounds are gorgeous the perfect spot king suite off season osprey suite boutique hotel pool area is girls weekend continental breakfast front porch comfortable beds suzanne summer sih accommodations linens
Reviewed August 14, 2015

Everyone we interacted with at the Shelter Island House - from front desk staff, to cleaning staff, - were friendly, professional, and made our experience great!
My husband and I wanted a mid week escape to Shelter Island. We had just done an amazing trip to Cuba. We stayed in the deluxe King room. You know you have arrived when greeted in the tastefully decorated lobby. The vibe is much more than then a typical B&B. Carly greeted us and was so helpful in getting us acquainted with the area. The Shelter Island House has a great location. We spent the afternoon down at Crescent beach, a short walk from the hotel, no car needed. There is also a beautiful pool on site. The rooms were spotless, bed very comfortable and the service was great. We had family join us dinner at the restaurant, we enjoyed delicious fan fare of seafood, steak and local produce. The hotel is as beautiful as the pictures on the web site. I highly recommend the Shelter Island House and would stay here again.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire E
Shelter Island H, Guest Relations Manager at Shelter Island House, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2015

Thank you for the awesome review! We are so pleased you were able to take a mid-week getaway and enjoy so much of what Shelter Island House offers.
We hope you can return soon and enjoy more time with us!

Reviewed August 13, 2015

First the positives: The owner and staff are all very nice people. In fact, when one of the streets leading to the hotel was blocked, someone actually drove to find us a lead us to the hotel.
The negatives: #1. We spent about a half an hour trying to call the hotel to tell them of the blocked street. Each time we called we were cut off after 5 rings, except for the last time. Apparently there was no one at the front desk and the call did not get forwarded to another phone. This also happened to us twice more during our stay.
#2. We were in room #5. When we arrived the clock in the room was broken. We brought it downstairs and were told it would be fixed or replace and put back in the room while we were out. Not so. We had to go downstairs again to get it. The bottoms of the dresser drawers were broken, so that clothing fell through the drawer. You could not run the hair dryer and the air conditioner at the same time -- it always tripped the circuit breaker downstairs, which mean we had to go downstairs to have the circuit breaker reset each time. Finally, the door to the room is apparently warped, so that locking or unlocking the door is an ordeal. It took a few minutes of pushing or pulling on the door while moving the key to get into the room or to lock the door.
#3. The hotel provides free umbrellas for the beach, which is very nice of them. When we unpacked our umbrella at the beach is was broken and could not be used.
#4. The hotel will also let you use their parking pass for beach parking, also very nice of them. We did not realize that we need the pass until we got to the beach, so we called them (again, five rings and a cutoff), finally reached them, and was told that the person who had the key to the room which had the parking pass was not there so we could not get it until that person returned. We did take the parking pass with us the next day.
#4. Breakfast is served from 7 AM to 10 AM. When we arrived at 9:10 AM there was no milk for the cereal, no coffee and no fruit. Worse yet, there was no one there to tell. We waited about 10 minutes before someone on the staff arrived.
#5. They have free Wi-Fi, BUT it doesn't work in the room (or at least in room #5),and only sporadically downstairs. Very inconvenient.
#6. After we left for home, we got an e-mail from the hotel telling us that they were charging our credit card for $29.00. We tried calling them to find out the reason, could not reach them after being cut off several time, and finally e-mailed. We were informed that the charge was for two drinks and a snack at the restaurant on a day that we actually were at another restaurant ( and we never had the drinks or snack on any other day either. After several e-mail exchanges we received a credit and an apology for the "discrepancy." There was no discrepancy -- there was a mistake.

3  Thank 964mfk

Thank you for the time to write a review of your stay. We are sorry that your stay was not completely satisfactory and apologize for any disappointments. We are pleased you found the owners and staff so nice and that we were able to help you arrive at the hotel despite the road block.

Sorry the weather further complicated your comfort and that we were not able to control it better. The lose of power due to the storm during your stay was island wide and left us with a power shortage for quite some time. That compromised the ability to run all the hotels amenities simultaneously. Additionally, the increased humidity really added to the swelling of the historic property and it's furnishings.

As new hotel owners, we really appreciate your feedback so that we can ensure every guests stay is enjoyable. We are working to correct the other issues you mentioned as well, so that your future stay with us is perfect!

Reviewed August 11, 2015 via mobile

I got a great vibe from this place the moment we arrived and it never disappointed. The food, bar, accommodations, staff--even the proprietor--all a pleasant surprise. Intimate, relaxing, yet never boring or pretentious. Dog-friendly a plus, as you will see from our pictures. Go already!

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Shelter Island H, Guest Relations Manager at Shelter Island House, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2015

Thank you for your excellent review! We are so happy you enjoyed the vibe and were able to enjoy a vacation with your pet. The photos are stunning! Hope to see you back very soon!

Reviewed July 30, 2015

I took advantage of the mid-week special and was happy I did, hotel was not crowded and felt like I had the place to myself. This trip was meant for me to decompress from a hectic work schedule and this place provided just that. Staff was friendly and attentive, rooms looked exactly like the photos. This is a, great hotel for short getaways with friends or romantic weekend. Only draw backs were the restaurant was not open Monday-Tuesday and the A/C in my room (Cottage 2nd Floor) underperformed in the middle of a July heat wave. I do intend on going back and will make this one of my go to places for unwinding.

Room tip: The Cottage out back is great if you want real peace and quiet. The three bedroom suite is ideal for families or a girls getaway trip.
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Junsie2015
Shelter Island H, Guest Relations Manager at Shelter Island House, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Shelter Island House. We are so happy you were able to relax and decompress from your hectic work schedule. Starting in August, the restaurant is now open on Tuesdays with a bar menu and Mondays we have an option food options as well.
We look forward to having you return the next time you need to unwind!

Reviewed July 22, 2015

I feel that I overpaid by quite a bit for the worst room in the house on the first floor, #10 - with noise from guests stomping overhead, and a loud A/C window unit in the window running all night - in an attempt to drown out the noise. The room is closest to the lobby and restaurant, though they closed the hall door at night. That certainly helped. The house is old, and though remodeled, I had zero water pressure in the shower. The room was very small, clean (except for dirty windows), with a hard but fairly comfortable bed. The main complaint about the room besides the noise was that the A/C unit was not sealed around the edges, resulting in large gaps in which insects could enter the room. Thus, I was stung by sort of black flying creature - in bed, right below my eye. My eye swelled immediately and I got up, got dressed, and asked the manager for some baking soda, to make a paste - as one would do for a bee sting. She was quick to respond, though not sympathetic. She did say; "Well, it is the country after all". Yes, you might call it the country, but if the room is well sealed and the windows screened, there should not be a problem. I did not mind seeing other non-stinging insects the next morning.

The pool area is nice, and I especially liked the lounge/deck area with large seat cushions.That was a great place to have a drink. But there is no water view at Shelter Island House, so the $260 for one night (and that was with a w.d. discount) seemed excessive.
I wish that I had stayed a 3rd night at the lovely Dering Harbor Inn instead. I met with a friend for 2 nights there the next day. With exquisite views of the harbor, an especially lovely pool, and the offer of a 3rd weekday night free in July, I would have fared better.

In fairness, the Manager, Suzanne warned me that the room might be noisy because of its close proximity the restaurant - but nothing was said about overhead footsteps.
The best part of my stay was the breakfast. There were delicious home made croissants (no butter or jam), yogurt, a small plate of fresh fruit (one strawberry and one cherry had mold -- a poor over site) - but there were fresh figs- which was redeeming. They also had cereal, but no skim milk. Far worse in my book ...NO half and half for their good coffee. For the price of a room, can't they afford half and half? I requested cream as an alternative. After a long wait, I was handed a tiny pitch half filled with cream - just enough for one cup of coffee and had to ask for more cream. These little details add up.

If you do stay here, unless you are a very sound sleeper, you might wish to be certain to get a second floor room. The food at the restaurant looked and smelled delicious.The outdoor dining areas are lovely. The establishment is firmly well run, other than my complaints.

Room tip: Second floor room fro a quieter stay.
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
4  Thank melisande
Shelter Island H, Guest Relations Manager at Shelter Island House, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2015

Thank you for you review. We really appreciate the the feedback and apologize for any disappointment. We are working to correct the issues you mentioned to ensure your future stay is perfect.
We are so pleased you were able to enjoy the pool and lounge areas for a relaxing cocktail and are glad you noticed the lovely dining experience. Our mission is for guests to enjoy the lovely gardens, landscaping and resort feeling in a sanctuary just minutes from the beach.

We look forward to having you dine and stay with us in the future.