See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I booked a quick trip to Shelter Island and found The Candlelite Inn on the SI Chamber of commerce web page which directed me to their web site. The Inn had just undergone an update and when we contacted them they werent officiall open but would be happy to accommodate us. Everything was spotless and the beds, a dream. We slept like a rock. We had an amazing weekend there and would absolutly go back. The owner was friendly and helpful and we had dinner at Vine Street which he recommended and the meal was great. My wife had her hair blown out in the salon located on the first floor. she was thrilled to not have to do it herself. We will be going back soon.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mb3764
Reviewed March 30, 2009

My friends were coming to visit us on Shelter Island, but told us at the last moment that there would be 12 of them and we could not accomodate them in our small 2 bedroom home. I called the Candlelight Inn, which came to our rescue. Our guests arrived late (after 6pm) and let themselves in. They liked the independence the Inn offered, with no one asking what their plans are etc. All they wanted was a good, clean, and quiet place to sleep so this was perfect. On top of that, my friends' son, 5 years old, and hyper, broke a lamp and the Inn was understanding. We went to a local coffee shop and saw the proprietors there and they could not have been more friendly and caring. The Candlelight Inn is an unassuming, low-key bed and breakfast--the owner's mom cooks breakfast and for those who want to get to the beach early, the kitchen offers a "do it yourself". Some people might find this odd, but my gaggle of friends--ranging in age from 65 to 5 years old, all liked it and have been talking about it ever since. Incidentally, the owner of the B&B is also one of the best hair colorists on the east coast, which makes for a fab spa-like vacay on Shelter Island

Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank PAM_from_LINY
Reviewed July 17, 2007

My husband booked the private back cottage for our anniversary last October. Upon ariving (Friday) we walked in to a hair salon (main floor of the B & B) and were given a key to the back cottage. The room was nice and had a huge bathroom w/ jacuzzi tub. However, there was NO ONE on premises for the ENTIRE WEEKEND. We walked in to the kitchen the next morning (expecting to get breakfast (It's called a Bed and Breakfast, right???) but there was no one in the house. We made our own cooked breakfast (there was a kitchen). It's not a big deal, but when you pay these prices (250+ a night) you expect a cooked breakfast and SOMEONE THERE! For example, we needed ice and had some questions about the area, and no one was there to help. We took it upon ourselves to check out the rest of the house, and it seems they are just bedrooms upstairs, possibly with a bath at the end of the hall. We couldn't get over how they would let strangers in their home and just leave. Weird.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family