See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 11, 2013

True to the other reviews, there was no staff my husband and I could see on site. Our room key with our names was taped to the door inside the building. We had no needs that weren't already met, and we were confident that if we had to make a phone call to the proprietor; he would be available to us. The room we stayed in, (room #4) was beautiful and had an en suite bathroom (score!). The bed was so comfortable and the bathroom was spotless. There was 2 other couples there at the time we were and we barely even heard them, We took the advice of the letter with our room key and walked to our dinner at Vine Street, which was ridiculously delicious and would be worth the 90 minute drive and 10 minutes on the ferry to go back just for the mussels and hand cut fries. The next morning we enjoyed some of the breakfast, which was laid out very nicely, and coffee was good ( my only criticism there, no half and half- somehow I managed though). We laughed about the "checkout process" of putting our keys in a bowl in the kitchen. Shelter Island is beautiful, the Inn was charming and we will definitely be back soon, especially if there is another travel deal voucher online to help make the cost a little more affordable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsTinetti
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at the Candlelite Inn on a discounted deal and thus I must admit my expectations weren't high due to the low price point. The Inn is clean and comfortable, it feels as though you might be at a friends home. Do not expect any service throughout your stay as there is no visible Inn keeper. I personally enjoyed not feeling like I was tip toeing around in someones private home however I did find a few flaws in the system. For one, if we needed something, there was no one to ask... Secondly for the breakfast, many items ran out quickly and there was no one to refresh them in the morning.
My biggest complaint was that when the Inn keeper was there at some point, he/ she threw away a just opened bottle of very nice wine. I was told we could leave things in the kitchen so this was an unpleasant surprise... the same happend with our Manchego cheese that was also tossed from the fridge.
It was a comfortable stay however if I was paying over $200 to be there, I would probably be disappointed at the lack of service.
As a note to the owner, there was no one at the Inn to replensih the fresh fruit/ yogurt on Sunday morning. The same limited items that you had out on Sat. were there on Sunday am. As this is a cozy Inn and generally speaking, people aren't rushing on the weekends you should seriously consider changing your breakfast hours until 11am.

Room Tip: Just note that the bathrooms are across the hallway from your room. They are very clean and we didnt find this to be an issue or inconvinience.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

All first sight it deserves an average rating in comparison to the many bed and breakfasts i have stayed in, probably not worth mentioning on tripadvisor. The house is nice, rooms are clean, room interior somewhat unremarkable, breakfast is a self service selection of packaged, processed items. The owner mostly communicates through post-its. Prices are off the charts but I understand that shelter island is more expensive. What turned us off were some unwelcoming touches that we felt were unnecessary, e.g. while getting a cup of coffee on the main terrace in the afternoon the owner dropped a comment that breakfast time was over, he switched-off electricity to the coffee machine then added new post-its clarifying his point. At $400+ per room per night that's not exactly what we expected.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank stefanowitsch212
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Booked this B&B last minute, as could not get in anywhere else on the island. The rooms were a good size and very clean. The beds were very comfortable and despite the thin walls we both slept very well.
Breakfast was a self service buffet, consisting of tea/coffee, a selections of juices, yoghurt, cereals, breads to toast and muffins, and there was also fresh fruit available. It was a good breakfast - however, on the second day we had to clean our bowls before eating as there were some ants in them!
We never met any staff in the B&B, we arrived to an open door and a letter with our name and key stuck to it - the front door also remained open and unlocked day and night while we were there, which we didn't feel was completely safe -despite the quiet location.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are unsuite, so request this if this is important. A room at the back of the house may also be quieter, if there are many people staying.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ohsmartymarty
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Sufficient. Clean. Pretty. Smallish room. Good bed. Typical of island, it was very expensive, $235 for room with mild annoyance of having to cross hall and go down a couple doors to get to the bathroom. It worked great that we never saw a human being, enjoyed the living room, took self-serve continental breakfast. For "breakfast' at a B and B I would really like a full breakfast, though, including protein such as eggs. Innkeepers were very nice by phone. Walls were paper thin, so we could hear every page turning and breath.

Room Tip: See if they can put you far from others or in a room with thicker walls.
Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple