“Superb food and atmosphere”
Review of Vine Street Cafe

Vine Street Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Vine Street Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed July 15, 2014

It isn't cheap, but it sure is delicious. Vine Street is one of the great places to eat on Long Island's east end, and is justly praised by locals and visitors alike.

Great food.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Food here is absolutely amazing. We started with some local oysters, then crispy squash blossoms stuffed with a really tasty local goat cheese! We shared a miso glazed salmon and a strip steak - both cooked to perfection. The staff was friendly and very professional. Our server made great recommendations for our meal, and then the sommelier came by and helped us select fantastic wines to pair with dinner! We had the homemade ice cream for dessert... I think it was the best ice cream I've ever had. Very knowledgeable staff, food is too good, and the atmosphere is so unique. Can't wait to come back to vine street!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

My wife and I have been going to Vine Street each year for the past six years, and we have never been disappointed. The Vine Street Cafe is a rare treat in dining: excellent food, excellent and near-perfect ambience (once in a while you'll get a loopy customer with an obnoxiously loud laugh.)

At tonight's visit, we had the Jumbo Lump Crab & the Bay Scallops Ceviche (Thai-style) for starters and both didn't disappoint. The main course of Linguine & Zucchini Fra Diavolo with shrimps, clams, mussels & scallops was top notch, and I had the Wednesday special, the roasted swordfish, which was served on a bed of spinach, celery, & a mango salsa was probably the best dinner I've been served on Long Island since I can remember. (And it was almost as good as the best dinner I've ever had at Hall's Chophouse in Charleston, SC.)

The blackberry & cherry croustade - served with vanilla ice cream - was also outstanding.

If you see my other reviews, you'll see I'm not liberal with positive critiques, but Im not at all hesitant to give good grades to Vine Street, since they excel in the categories of food, service & atmosphere every time. Yep, it's expensive, so skip one weekend's dinner out & hit Vine Street the following time..it's worth it.

2  Thank tmh_longisland
Reviewed June 28, 2014

making our reservation, confirming it and checking in with the maitre d' and her assistants were unpleasant experiences and it continued until we were finally seated half hour late on a Saturday night (to be expected in the summer). it is too bad as the waiters were eager to please and the food was delicious.

1  Thank anne a
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have had the pleasure of dining at Vine Street Cafe probably a half dozen times over as many years on my annual fishing trip to Shelter Island. This place is really excellent. Nicely casual trendy, dim lighting Island feel. Terrific service and excellent food! What more can you ask for? Briny fresh local oysters on the half shell followed by as good a skirt steak as you can ever have. Perfectly cooked, flavorful, and delicious. I tried the horseradish sauce which complimented it perfectly. Reasonably priced wine list. They have daily specials, like bouillibaise Monday nights. We were there Monday night and the place was nearly full at 8pm. If you're going to Shelter Island, this should be #1 on your list.

1  Thank Conseiller99