“Great Casual Island Bistro!”
Review of Vine Street Cafe

Vine Street Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Vine Street Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have had the pleasure of dining at Vine Street Cafe probably a half dozen times over as many years on my annual fishing trip to Shelter Island. This place is really excellent. Nicely casual trendy, dim lighting Island feel. Terrific service and excellent food! What more can you ask for? Briny fresh local oysters on the half shell followed by as good a skirt steak as you can ever have. Perfectly cooked, flavorful, and delicious. I tried the horseradish sauce which complimented it perfectly. Reasonably priced wine list. They have daily specials, like bouillibaise Monday nights. We were there Monday night and the place was nearly full at 8pm. If you're going to Shelter Island, this should be #1 on your list.

1  Thank Conseiller99

Reviewed June 17, 2014

A special place. Lovely setting in a simple setting, simple but warm. The food (ahi (montauck caught) tartare with olives and capers, boulliabaise (local fish) , roasted herb crusted local fluke) were accompanied with vegetables and sides using local ingredients. The wine list is balanced and well matched to the foods. However, the fare is not inexpensive. Dinner for two sharing an appetizer with a modest wine with tip came to a little over 200 dollars. It was worth it. The food was superb, the staff was attentive and friendly, and the atmosphere like you wish other restaurants would provide.

1  Thank wajtv
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Our son brought us all the way to Shelter Island to experience Vine Street. We had lovely food and a wonderful visit with friends who'd come from Sag Harbor to join us. We really wanted to catch up with our family and friends, but the service was a bit too cloying. I felt like I was constantly being interrupted, but I realize lots of people appreciate that. I really didn't pay that much attention to the food; it was good for sure. I'm vegetarian and there were several small plates and sides that were beautifully prepared for me. I know the others enjoyed their dinners as well. We had nice bones to bring home to the dog at our B&B.

2  Thank Shelley R
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Vine Street came highly recommended. And it was vey good. I had the duck, it was perfect. I liked that they did not overbook the room. It was full but not overcrowded. My only wish was the someone else paid the bill. Pricey.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

My family has had a house on Shelter Island for 35 years and we've seen restaurants come and go. None of them compared with Vine Street, which offered terrific food and a really nice ambiance. We were more than willing to pay the cost that came with that, even after Vine St became a scene that attracted more people from the Hamptons than Shelter Island. Eating at Vine Street was a treat. So it was a great disappointment to eat there this past weekend and find that it's way overpriced and pretty mediocre at this point.

My husband ordered the duck confit, which was dry, its accompanying risotto was more like a pilaf. The spinach that came with it tasted plainly weird. For my part, I ordered the linguine fra diavolo and it was good, but not excellent, really nothing more than what you'd find in good Italian place in NYC. Only the mussels were above average. And this sounds more snippy than substantive, but their wine glasses just seemed really below grade for a nice restaurant, but Vine Street used to set itself apart by focusing on the details. At this point, it's not worth the hassle of reserving a table weekends in advance or plunking down $75/person for an average meal. We won't be back again.