“Fine Dining on Shelter Island”
Review of Vine Street Cafe

Vine Street Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Vine Street Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Vine Street Cafe is located on Shelter Island which is accessed by ferry from either Sag Harbor on Long Island's south shore or Greenport on the north shore. Unless you are living or staying on Shelter Island, you have to figure in the cost and time associated with the ferry ride to get there. That's the bad news. Now for the god news. Have dined at Vine Street twice over the past 18 months and each time we found that the food was very, very good. This was matched by the service which is excellent. The restaurant itself offers a nice, contemporary ambiance. Steak frites were very good...I don't know when I have enjoyed french fries so well...they are light and delicious. The restaurant fries in peanut oil and that's probably responsible for the great taste. We also enjoyed the veal chop. Dessert was a sticky toffee treat that was really good. If there's a price to pay, it's the price you pay...it's not cheap but it's worth it. Enjoy!

There are newer reviews for Vine Street Cafe

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I visit Shelter Island every year to celebrate the anniversary of our engagement and her birthday which follows a few days later. Each year we look forward to a special meal at Vine Street for some of the best food that Shelter Island has to offer. From Decor, to Staff and importantly - to the meal itself the restaurant is unmatched on the island. We've been going every year and will continue to do so! (and that's coming from tough grading Brooklyn NY foodies!)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had dinner at Vine Street Cafe last night with my family. It was a special occasion, and this restaurant offered a special occasion vibe. I ordered the striped bass which was cooked to perfection and was delicious. My daughter ordered the mussels which were plentiful and bathed in a basil -saffron broth. There were no complaints from others at our table about the food that was served and consumed. Where this restaurant fell short in our opinion was with the service. Our server was not personable. She was rigid and more of an 'order taker' than someone who provided excellent service. She lacked proper knowledge of the inventory of the bar and provided us with incorrect information when we placed our drink order, stating that they didn't have a certain liquor when we could see the bottle sitting on the bar shelf from our table. She also took the liberty of substituting a lesser quality beer that was ordered by my husband and stated that they didn't have his original selection as she delivered the lesser quality beer to our table. Each of us was left with empty water glasses for a good deal of time during our meal, and when a restaurant is charging these prices for food, the service should be superior. To end the evening we were given dessert menus but the wait was so long before our waitress came to take our order we decided to skip dessert.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Vine Street Café is one of the top restaurants on Shelter Island. The service is professional without being stuffy. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming. The food is quite good, but on the expensive side--even for a pasta dish. The best way to keep the price down is to try the $35 early bird menu. My husband had the special pesto pasta which was delicious. My chicken breast with a light curry flavor was also very good. My salad had a bit too much dressing (I had requested that it be lightly dressed). The sorbets were excellent--the profiteroles filled with vanilla ice cream and topped with chocolate sauce was a bit heavy for me, but my husband loved it.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The atmosphere was great, the food was awesome, the staff was friendly and extremely professional. Worth every penny.

Expect to pay about $100 per person for 3 course meal with a drink.