“Delicious gourmet food in a casual atmosphere!”
Review of Clark's Fish House - CLOSED

Clark's Fish House
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
“Delicious gourmet food in a casual atmosphere!”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Awesome place! Casual, super friendly, perfect for a summer dinner after a day at the beach. The food is amazing, creative, and delicious. The calamari is not your average... tossed in a tomato sauce and placed over a pesto pasta... I crave it! I also had the Fish House Tacos tonight, delicious and so fresh! Clark's is a must when you're on Shelter Island!

• Visited August 2014

East Hampton, New York
“Enjoy the ferry”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Each summer my husband and I take the ferry from Sag Harbor to Shelter Island as an escape from the Hampton's craziness. It's not an inexpensive ride as it costs $21 round trip so I have to add that amount to the cost of a dinner but if the restaurant is worth it I consider it money well spent. I'm sorry to say that I wish I had stayed on the other side of the water and had dinner in Sag Harbor, East Hampton or Montauk. Clark's is definitely not a destination restaurant. I had chosen it because it advertised itself as a place to get freshly caught fish and they did have fresh fish on the menu. However, several dishes consisted of Bluefish which my Dad used to catch weekly as an amateur fisherman. All the kids in our family used to cry when he brought it home as it is a very gamey, oily fish that is not usually considered a fish you would want to spend $26 + to eat in a restaurant. The other items on the menu were also priced on the high side for a restaurant that had no view and no ambience. Calling yourself a fish shack is not enough of an attraction if all you are is a ramshackle building in the middle of a pedestrian looking area. My lobster salad was mostly salad and not dressed very well. My son's fish taco was a few pieces of fried cod on a taco and my husband's fish sandwich was the same fried cod. Not fantastic. My glass of wine was only filled and cost $10. The calamari appetizer was good but after adding up the price of the meal together with the $21 ferry ride, I would have to say it was not worth the tip. If you live on Shelter Island it might be ok, but if you are willing to go across to the other side then try the Lobster Roll in Neapague or Bostwicks in East Hampton for great food in a fish shack atmosphere.

1 Thank Georgica14
Capt K, Owner at Clark's Fish House, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
I am so sorry you didn't enjoy your dinning experience after your journey from East Hampton. As the owner of Clark's, I personally check with all of my customers to ensure their needs were met and enjoyed their meals. I'd like to clarify a few points. Our Fish Tacos are made with flakey white cod, not a cheaper substitute, and are served with shredded romain, homemade black bean and corn salsa, pico de gillo, and guacamole. Unless ordered otherwise. It's quite a beautiful plate and very popular with our customers. As far as your husbands meal, I'm confused as we don't serve a Fish Sandwich. Our Lobster Blt is a generous portion of choice fresh lobster meat priced very reasonably at $26.00. I'm sorry if yours wasn't substantial enough for you. My chef creatively prepares our dishes to be complete well rounded dishes, hence the addition of the lovely salad included with the grilled baguette, bacon and tomato.As far as our inclusion of Bluefish on our special board, it is a fresh local choice of fish caught daily by family members. Most people are looking for local fish, and we have had no complaints about fishiness. Quite the opposite, most say they have never had such delicious well prepared Bluefish anywhere else. I also offer fresh Tuna, Mahi Mahi, Porgy and Swordfish caught freshly from surrounding local waters. We are happy to provide a varied selection of fresh seafood. My establishment was built 30 years ago and has been well maintained and redecorated as it has changed hands from one owner to the next. Wish I could provide water front/view dining for all my customers! Would defiantly go better with my Fish House Restaurant. I take pride in making sure my customers are happy, so I really wished you had addressed your dissatisfaction at the time of your visit, I would have been happy to make your experience a better one. Thank you for you visit and wish you happy dining.
New York, NY
“Good but not great”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Wish I could add to the stellar recent reviews, but my experience was more mundane. Expectations are high when you are paying about $60pp for a meal. I know - the East End has always been overpriced - but still. The fish and chips were dry and overly salty, and the fries not particularly crisp. While the lobster salad looked gorgeous and colorful, the abundance of ingredients hid the fact that the pieces of lobster were small and not plentiful. The service is friendly and genuine. Hence I would return, but order differently.

Nyc
“Great food!”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise! I had the tuna with samosas and a mango sauce. A huge portion I wasn't sure I could finish after my large salad. One bite erased those worries. I are everything and then used some bread to savor the last bit of the sauce. Truly delicious food, can't wait to bring some friends so they can enjoy our find.

2 Thank Jfhealy
New York City, New York
“Delightful surprise!!!”
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

We have been going by this place over and over again and finally decided to check it out couldn't believe how amazingly delicious the food was the owner couldn't of been nicer the atmosphere was lovely we'll definitely come back!

2 Thank Geierhealy