All reviewswater view roomsunset beachtennis courtsthe cottageslast summerno elevatorbreakfast was includedexplore the islandhomemade donutslaid backgreat weekendweddingbikesseasondockscenevibe
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Shelter Island is a dream. A place where time has stood still in the best of ways.

The Pridwin Beach Hotel & Cottages has one of the most amazing settings of any small seasonal hotel on the East End. The fish served in the Dining Room is caught by the family that owns the hotel and is incredibly fresh and lovingly prepared. The Wednesday night cook-out is a very local feeling event that apparently has been going on for decades. Great tennis teachers and courts and amazing bike riding on the island - the Pridwin has only no-speed bikes so bring your own!

In general I would say the Pridwin is anti-trendy - God bless them!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Below23rdSt
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I went to Shelter Island with my boyfriend for my birthday and stayed at the Pridwin Hotel. After Labor Day, it's off-season and the prices dropped about $60 a night for rooms in the hotel. That seemed like an okay deal so we booked it. Yes, it was off-season and yes, they were busy with hosting a wedding reception, but the staff could have been more welcoming and accommodating, Our experience in dealing with them was lukewarm at best. There are plenty of other places to stay and although the location was nice, it wasn't worth it in exchange for the cold feeling we got from the front desk staff.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slolane
Reviewed September 18, 2009

The Pridwin is definitely not a resort. It has a great location that's it! The place reeks of mold and mildew as soon as you walk in the back door. The room assigned to us was on the first floor. The stained and dirty hallway rug and mildew smell did not prepare me for the alarming smell of mold and mildew in the room. The air vents were filthy and an electric socket was coming out of the wall. The smell was unbearable. I could not let myself or my family risk our health and safety. I had to get out of there.
I got a refund and stayed in Southhampton. This place is definitely not a resort. It needs a major renovation and the staff needs to be more professional. Good luck if you choose to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank anteliza
PridwinOffice, Office manager at The Pridwin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2009

Dear anteliza,

We apologize again for your bad experience. This season was unusually wet and as you (and many people who frequent eastern long island) know, humidity is always an issue on eastern long island even during 'dry' summers.

We are acutely aware of the issues with the first floor rooms. All the carpeting in each of 4 first floor rooms and entrance hallway will be replaced before the 2010 season. And we are planning upgrades to our AC system, which will help with dehumidification as well. We had planned this already, but wanted you to know that we take guest criticism very seriously.

Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Sincerely
Nichole Thomas
Office Manager
Pridwin Hotel

Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I paid $250 per night for a non-water view room-it was small, smelled of mildew and was inadequately air-conditioned. We asked for a fan, which helped, but none of this ventilation reached the bathroom so we opened its window and kept its door closed. We were surprised that some of the public spaces in the inn are not air-conditioned or have even a ceiling fan. The breakfast buffet is great; the pool is very nice. As was mentioned in other reviews, the Pridwin is in need of a "facelift." Installing new window air-conditioners (to replace the wall-mounted models) would go a long way towards making the rooms more comfortable. Though not a concern for us, the place is not handicap-friendly - there are many steps to climb, no elevators, no bellmen to assist with luggage. We think a lot more "creature comforts" should be provided to make one's stay more comfortable. The Pridwin is expensive (yes, we know it's Shelter Island and it's the height of season) but guests should not be made to feel they've been ripped off.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Very nice, clean and charismatic of a certain period. Not filled with luxury, but if anyone wants a peaceful getaway, then The Pridwin could be the right place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo