All reviews water view room game room adirondack chairs breakfast was included dirty dancing laid back private beach fire pit can't wait to go back deck wedding summer weekend jp tennis vibe
Selected filters
Reviewed August 11, 2018

I have spent five gorgeous days here and today it is raining. I do not want to leave this place. It is utterly serene. The views of the water from the dining terrace and the pool are unbeatable. The service is quiet and professional. The staff are mostly young foreigners here for a few months and they are as friendly and as helpful as can be. Great music plays most of the day into the night. The sinks could be larger and there could be more shelves for your stuff, but small points considering. The food is just delicious too.

Room tip: a corner room with water views
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank evanmark
Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

We spent 1 night at The Pridwin. Such a nice quiet location. We had a corner water view room, which was clean, and a had newer bathroom. Bed was comfy. All new clean white linens.
Check in was simple. No explanation of anything or direction as to what or where anything was. We were told they were out of clean beach towels ( thankfully I had my own packed) and We made our way to the beach. Decent swimming. We jumped off the dock too like most people do
The pool didn’t look as inviting as it appeared online so passed on that.
We ate dinner off property ( Salt )
We managed to get an Uber there and had a hard time but managed a taxi back. We did have our own vehicle but had drinks and didn’t want to drive.
When returning to our room later that evening we had 100’s of gnats and small mosquitos in our bathroom. Slept with the bathroom door closed. When I mentioned it at check out all I was told was that happens this time of year as they get in through the screen (my window wasn’t open). Oh well, didn’t ruin my night, decided it wasn’t with my effort to make a big deal over something like that.
Breakfast was included. Which I never knew. That wasn’t communicated to me. So I guess for a free breakfast it was decent. Eggs, bacon, fruit, yogurts, toast. Etc- the usual stuff. Service was attentive.
Overall The Pridwin is a great place to stay if you’re looking for quiet,& relaxation on the water.
I wasn’t overly impressed,but would stay again in the future.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
ThePridwinHotel, General Manager at The Pridwin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2018

We want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. You cannot beat a swim off the dock, though you might be surprised that most people do prefer the pool. We will check the screen in your bathroom, because it appears there’s a breach, which would permit the local evening gnats to find their way to a bathroom light. We will make note of your comments and seek to do better. We look forward to your return and perhaps you’ll consider our restaurant, which has food equaling the great view from the deck.

thanks again
The Pridwin.

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

This small hotel is the perfect weekend getaway from the chaos of city life. Our room was clean, well air conditioned with a newish bathroom. Not really remarkable room - but it’s on the water - and for me that is worth its weight in gold!! Also the atmosphere is very serene and service helpful and unobtrusive. I’ve seen some complaints that the rooms are plain but I think you would be hard pressed to find anything comparable at this price on the water in the Hamptons or Shelter Island. We are definitely planning to return next year. Far exceeded my expectations.

1  Thank Susan F

We are very grateful for your generous review and so happy that you appreciate the unique qualities of The Pridwin. We look forward to your return!

Yours truly
The Pridwin

Reviewed July 29, 2018

In town for a wedding, my husband and I booked our stay months in advance after being warned of island sell outs in the summer. Because we're young professionals we blanched at the rate ($350/night), but figured this would be a treat on a special island celebrating our friends. We were very disappointed.

PROS: Hot breakfast included in rate (sort of a pro, but more like a relief...), updated bathroom, roomy shower, great AC and fans in room, king size bed, lovely view of water from dining deck.

CONS: NOISE. We were in a room next to the stairs (207 - do NOT stay in this room) and every morning we were jarred awake by people thumping their suitcases downstairs and squealing children running up and down the stairs and hallways. Again we came in town for a wedding so we had long days and late nights. We were quiet and respectful when we returned at midnight both nights but we did not get that same respect in return at 8:00 AM when we were exhausted. The room was the size of a matchbox, door barely clears the bed when you enter. There was a pair of dirty socks left in our room that I was too grossed out to move, and it made me question the cleanliness of the rest of the room. On Saturday night the parking lot was full upon our return so I went to the front desk to ask what to do. There was no staff, only a sign left that said they'd be back at 8AM and to call for urgent matters only. Bizarro to have a front desk unoccupied on a sold out, summer Saturday night. Makes no sense. I looked around twice, couldn't find anyone. Finally my husband located a security guard who told us where we could safely park, but the whole thing set us back half an hour from going to bed. The shuffleboard was missing a puck and the pool left something to be desired (looked dated), not big things, but again surprising for a place with such a high rate.

The Pridwin is charming, but I recommend enforcing rules about noise and behavior on the stairs and in the halls. Signs reminding folks that the building is almost a hundred years old and noise travels easily or SOMETHING would be helpful.

Room tip: Request a room at the end of the hallway, far away from the stairs for the quietest possible area.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank baileypald

We so appreciate your taking the time and effort to write a review. Thanks for the positive notes and we will definitely make note of your cons. As you note, being near 100 years old, The Pridwin was originally built with shared baths and when we added private baths to each room the average room size did decrease. The sound travel is something we aim to remedy in the near future. In the evenings between 11 AM and 8 AM the office is overseen by our night watch security. We are sorry he put out the wrong sign, which should have read he would return in 15 minutes after his rounds, which are made hourly.

Thanks for staying with us and again for taking the time to review,
The Pridwin

Reviewed July 17, 2018 via mobile

I’ll start off by saying this was our fourth trip to The Pridwin and probably won’t be our last. It’s a great location , the staff with the exception of the servers was excellent and the food was very good . My only issue with the dining room servers is the same one the previous reviewer pointed out, lack of training and management. This has been the case here for the four years we have been going . The server last night never took a drink order during the entire meal which lasted almost an hour and a half because I think she forgot we were there. At now time from the time we checked in to the time we checked out , did anybody ask if everything was satisfactory. There are so many simple things that could be done to make this hotel really good. My suggestions include drink and food service by the beach and pool, towel service by the beach, upgrade the room locks , and improve the WiFi. These suggestions and improved management and training would make a big difference.

Date of stay: July 2018