“St Tropez on Long Island”
Review of Sunset Beach

Sunset Beach
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Shelter Island
pww214
“St Tropez on Long Island”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

In these reviews most people focus on the price of the accommodations/restaurant. While it is expensive, it is also a whole lot cheaper than flying to St Barths or St Tropez, and thats really the feeling that you get when you visit this great little part of the world.

I visited recently for a weekend with my significant other. Even though it was a 2 hour drive from the city, we felt transported to somewhere far away and were totally relaxed, whether we were getting some sun on the beach, riding bikes around Shelter Island, or hanging out at the bar. The staff was terrific - by the end of the weekend we knew almost everyone at the hotel and the restaurant on a first name basis. The service here was above and beyond.

The rooms were clean and stylish. The bathrooms have recently been renovated and while small, they serve their purpose. The mini bar was well stocked, including a couple bottles of private label Rose.

All in all, we had a fantastic time, and will definitely be back in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Shelter Island, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Dont come here if you are concerned about your budget. Everything is overpriced and the rooms are nothing but a Motel with water views. The staff is rude and they act as if they doing you a favor by letting you stay there. If you want to say you were there with the "in people" then be prepared to pay double what this room was worth. There are other nicer places to stay on Shelter Island

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank parrotrescue14

Travelers are raving about these Shelter Island hotels

Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My friend twisted my arm and made me visit Shelter Island and she dictated that we were staying at Sunset Beach. From the pictures, it looked to me like an overpriced roadside motel. I was wrong.

From the moment were arrived, I was in a state of relaxation. The property is expensive but so worth it. The rooms are comfortable and chic. The food is good and the atmosphere fun. The beach is a short stroll across the road, and while a bit rocky, perfect for a relaxing break. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank MinaMePittsburgh
Lenox, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 3, 2011

First let me start of by saying that I am very biased towards Shelter Island. I started going there as a teenager when I went to Camp Quinipet. I have taken my kids to the family camp there. So that island just holds very special memories for me.

I went this year to SI and took a "grown up" vacation. The views were awesome. Such a short walk across the street to the rocky beach. ( Bring swim shoes.) The owner took such great care to make this place seem some like you are on a beach in France. Each room has a large deck overlooking the water. The rooms are decorated in a simple trendy Euro style. The rooms are large, with a sitting area. They provide beach umbrellas all in the same yellow and white color pattern. The food at the trendy bar is excellent. They have a very active night life scene. But buyer beware...I am looking for a word that explains it...pricey just does not fit....its beyond pricey. But who cares you only live once and this place is a great get-a-way. The only thing that bugged me was that there is no ice machine. Got to ask the waitstaff for some ice. Overall I would definately go back....because I love Shelter Island and I love this place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanneLee
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Don't go there if you have to watch your budget. You will be mad with overpriced everything.
But if you love pretty people, lots of style in everything (from beach chairs to in-room blankets), balearic music - then this is your place. We've seen guests in Rolls Royces stocking up with water and chips in local IGA ( to save money on their mini-bar I guess), so bring your own, if this is your concern. Otherwise - bring nothing else. They have everything you ever wanted or dreamed of . 5$ for extra cream with your coffee for room service. This is petit Ibiza ( or St. Tropez) this side of the Atlantic. It doesn't get any better then that here. The staff knows how cool the property is , and it shows in their attitude. Although, they are mostly friendly and helpful.If there is any issue - the manager solves anything in very professional manner.

Room Tip: They are all the same. Some people like second floor, other people prefer first floor. No difference...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank glamontheroad
London
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for one night for approximately $418. This didn't include breakfast. We've travelled alot and this hotel certainly wasn't worth the price tag. In fact this is the first hotel I have ever written a negative review about. We arrived at the hotel at around 12ish and just thought we'd mentoin we had arrived in case our room was ready. Checkin isn't actually till 4pm which is the latest I've ever come across. They do have a huge number of rooms to clean...20 I believe. So we went and had some lunch in the restaurant and returned to reception afterwards but our room still wasn't ready. Fair enough check in isn't till 4pm. We said we'd be on the beach and could they let us know when it would be ready. Reception is approximately a 2 minute walk from the beach. It got to about 17.30 and we decided to make our way to reception once more. OMG!!....ours was the first room that was ready. I think they need a better cleaner.
So the room is nice but not amazing. Your balcony isn't partitioned from next doors and the bathroom was tiny. The next day checkout was at 11am and then we made our way to breakfast. It was now 11:03 and I was informed that the kitchen was closed so there was no option for a cooked breakfast. I couldn't believe it. I asked couldn't they just cook up a few poached eggs. A definite NO was the response.
Any positives...the location was beautiful but still I've stayed in more amazing places for way less money. We won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bowser7
New York
Reviewed September 7, 2011

If the sun is shining it's a lovely venue. Rooms are basic and you have to put up with a lot of external noise as room walls and ceiling are no way soundproof. We had a fun time watching 'student like' American employees trying to look like chic Europeans, and for that I give them 5 stars. Of course having style and being cool is not to be confused with being arrogant and pretentious.
We really do like the European/Mediterranean vibe, just fix the atmosphere created by the staff, improve the soundproofing and voila - perfect.
People mention the price, but it's all expensive on Shelter island. And at least being at the Sunset Beach it feels like your somewhere different.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Baron's Cove
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa

Been to Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!