“Great independent hotel in a wonderful setting”
Review of Ram's Head Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shelter Island
Ram's Head Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Shelter Island
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is a great little independent hotel on Shelter Island, off Long Island, New York. It was built in the thirties in the Long Island grey "Clapboard" style that you find all over the island and retains most of its original period features. It is set in a spectacular location up above the sea with grounds running down to a small beach. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. Shelter Island is a very peaceful and pleasant area with the added bonus of lots of breeding ospreys - very spectacular! The only drawback is that the restaurant is not open during the week at this time of year (June) and the nearest restaurants require a car journey. Also we found this end of Long Island a little expensive, probably due to the proximity to the snooty Hamptons (best avoided - they don't really want tourists in the Hamptons)

Room Tip: Not all the rooms have en suite facilities.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian P

Reviewed October 6, 2010

On Saturday, October 2nd, my husband and I had our wedding reception here, and our families stayed together in all 17 rooms at the Inn. Our whole weekend was nothing short of amazing, from the adorable guest rooms to the excellent and abundant food, to the incredible country meets ocean setting. Everyone keeps telling us what a unique and fabulous place the Ram's Head was for our wedding, and our families already can't wait to come back for a reunion weekend next summer. Kelly the event manager and Shawn the chef are both at the top of their game and super professional. We will be coming back here for years to come as often as we can. We can't say enough about this place. It's just the best place you can go on Shelter Island.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JKP10210
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My wife and I have frequented the Ram's Head Inn several times over the last decade, and while we were upset when the Inn was put on the market and disappointed with the food and service during that time, whatever the owners/management have done for the 2010 season is fantastic! This was by far the all around best experience we've had at the Inn. From the new chef & local menu to the polished and friendly staff, we feel like whatever was lost over the past two years has been found and greatly improved. We booked our family reunion at the end of October with the Inn's event coordinator, Kelly, this past weekend. She put my wife and I at ease and made the event of 120+ people appear seamless.

We're very happy that the Inn is back and can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BklynWoodWorking
Reviewed January 16, 2010

I was looking over this site and saw the last review. I stayed there with my husband for four fantastic days in August. I understood that the Inn was taken off the market in 2008 and the staff, chef and owners were delightful. They were gracious, accommodating and just friendly group. While the weather was not the greatest, maybe that was the problem for the last review, the Inn and island was great. I have made my reservations for the same room and the same time this coming season. We may even go for a drive this winter and take a look around. I know they have another hotel in the historic district of Shelter Island that is open all year.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We couldn't have had a better experience at the Ram's Head. My brother held his wedding there and the staff and management were fantastic! The site couldn't have been more beautiful, the food and service were outstanding. The management was very helpful at every turn, and handled our large group with grace and style. They made us feel at home and took care of our every need. We will have wonderful memories of the wedding for the rest of our lives. Thank you Ram's Head!

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I'm sorry to say that this inn is not worth the trip. Shelter Island is beautiful and we've stayed at several properties there over the years, none of which are particularly great. The main problem with the Ram's Head is, as my husband pointed out, you pay "luxury" prices and the inn is kind of crummy. I'm happy to pay $550 for a hotel suite, and will certainly pay much more than that if I'm staying somewhere nice, but the Ram's Head isn't. The grounds are beautiful, but the rooms are dingy and feel cheaply thrown together and badly in need of updating. We got three rooms and all had old, worn wall-to-wall carpeting. There was a 3" gap at the base of our door, so we could hear every footstep and conversation up and down the hall. In fact, facing our door was a bathroom shared between several rooms, which had a door that stuck; everyone who went in and out slammed the door to close it, day and night. The bathtub was beaten up and difficult to stand in because of its awkward shape, with a shower head that was much too low. The water pressure was very poor, and the temperature of the water was impossible to regulate. The hotel claims to have a/c, but little to no cool air came out of the registers all weekend and all 6 of us were too hot. The service in the restaurant is slow and housekeeping was unresponsive and ignored our "do not disturb" sign. In all, it felt like staying in a dorm room. I would have been satisfied had I paid $150 - $200, but we will never stay there again. Try the Harbor Front in Greenport; for the same price, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank sarspm
Reviewed October 1, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel many times. The rooms are a little small but the property has a lot of charm. Its a great place to hang out. The beach is not as nice as the beach that the Pridwin and Sunset Beach motel are on but you can always drive there.
I haven't stayed at Sunset Beach but the Pridwin is awful (nice pool though). The included "breakfast" at the Pridwin is even worse than the Ramshead/

The Resturant has improved immensely since Matthew Boudreau took it over. Its true that it is not cheap and the menu is not huge. However, the quality of the food is excellent (as good as Vine Street IMHO) and the size of a menu is often inversely related to the quality of the food. The location is great for dining outside and we have always had an outdoor table. We have never had to wait 30 minutes for a table. Service in general has always been good particularly given the seasonal nature of wait staff on Shelter Island (we have had much worse service at Sunset Beach). I can't compare service to Sweet Tomato since we have never eaten there (we have so many good Italian resturants back in Manhattan).

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Sunset Beach
Sunset Beach
#5 of 5 in Shelter Island
Harborfront Inn at Greenport

Been to Ram's Head Inn? Share your experiences!