West Neck Guesthouse(Shelter Island Heights)(Great Value!)
$425
Official Site
Shelter Island House(Shelter Island)(Great Value!)
$595
Official Site
Heron Suites(Southold)(Great Value!)
$169
Groupon.com
Baron's Cove(Sag Harbor)(Great Value!)
$1,320
$999
Groupon.com
All reviewsplace to staytennis courtsevery morningwalking distancebarbarasherristudiounitsherrygymwaterviewkitchenetteamenitiesaccommodations
Reviewed August 21, 2016

We go here every year. It is one of the most beautiful views of the island. Barbara and Sheri feel like family now as this inn is our home away from home. The new pool is wonderful . It is heated and the patios are beautiful. We have been going here for seven years now. Every year there are improvements. The prices have climbed all over the island over the years. The condos at the inn are decorated by the owners. They are all very clean but most are very dated.their competition is offering renovated rooms at comparable rates so I am hoping that there will be additional updates made soon.

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen E
Reviewed September 16, 2015

Spent 3 days recently after the season ended. You get a free night if your stay starts on Sunday or Monday.
Because of the off season we had the place for ourselves. Our one bedroom apartment had a newly renovated bathroom, very nice. The living/dining/kitchen room was a bit small, but adequate for our needs. The bedroom was spacious.
I like the location, 5 minutes walk to Shelter Island heights where most of the (limited) shopping and dining is. The waterfront and pier are really nice at the Inn. We got bicycles for our use (free) , but if you have kids be aware they need to be 16 or older to get them. You can always rent bikes for kids at Picozzi, which is a 3 minutes walk.
It is true tat the place is a little tired and may need more renovations, but it was spotless and the staff was very welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2015

Shelter Island is surrounded by water; why would you stay anywhere that does not offer a water view? Dering Harbor Inn offer the most spectacular view of the exquisitely beautiful Harbor. I grew up vacationing here, and it has retained the same charm and integrity after all the years. The suites are spotlessly clean and comfortable. My one and only complaint, which cannot be helped, is that if you stay in a a two story, on the lower level, you will hear your neighbors above unless they are considerate. But I was able to sleep once they quieted down.The bed was most comfortable. My dear friend opted for the cushy sofa and did not even want to use it as a pull out. She slept well. The bathrooms have double sinks and good water pressure. The coffee provided was superb. You have to bring your own half and half. That's what a refrigerator is for! The pool is large and sparkling clean and quiet.Towels are conveniently provide right there.
We took full advantage of the charming #15 unit...having our breakfast and take-out seafood dinner from Commander Cody on our deck overlooking that fantastic harbor. As a birder, I was absolutely enthralled to discover that the Osprey nest in full view...was filled with 4 chicks, begging for food from their parents. I never tired of watching their antics (see photos). There were also quite a few young rabbits on the premises...great for kids to see all the nature. Sunsets here are out of this world.
A very short walk into town offer the fabulous Marie Eiffel for breakfast and lunch- take out or eat on the back deck overlooking the harbor. The Dept store next to Eiffel's has much charm, reasonable prices and good selection of clothing.

We had a truly wonderful stay and will return again and again. Sherri, and Barbara are just terrific. 'Very pleasant, professional and helpful.
Other tips: We lucked out discovering the Farmer's Market at Haven's House on Saturday morning. They had excellent cheeses and olive oil. Samples abound.
Caution: You will receive a $100.00 ticket if you park at a restricted beach. We learned the hard way when we stopped to bird on Shell Beach for 20 minutes. But you can purchase a permit at the Town Hall.

Room Tip: Second floor units will be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2015, traveled with friends
6  Thank melisande
Reviewed May 28, 2015

I will be docking my boat at Dering Harbor Inn, the place looks very nice, the grounds are beautiful and the waterfront pristine. Location is easy to get to, both driving and water.

Pool looks quite inviting, lots of tennis courts.

• Stayed: May 2015, traveled solo
1  Thank David J
Reviewed November 19, 2014

This ended up being a great vacation. We have passed by Shelter Island while in Greenport but never ventured over with the ferry. Let me say, I probably will never go to another resort on the North Fork of Long Island again. The Dering Inn was a cute little resort, definitely outdated, but it is still very clean and well maintained. The cleaning crew even washed our dished by hand each day. It is a great location, and I highly recommend this place. Sunset beach was fantastic. Will definitely return. We visited during memorial day weekend.

Room Tip: Each room is different. I would try to get something in the front.
  • Stayed: September 2014, traveled with family