“Beautiful Property”
Review of Dering Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shelter Island
Dering Harbor Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Shelter Island
east williston, ny
“Beautiful Property”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I stayed in a one bedroom waterfront room. The room was very nice, very homey. Quiet location. Without a doubt the main reason to stay here are the views. Spectacular location. Beautiful sunsets. The staff was very nice. Only minor complaint is that there is no restaurant on property. Forces you to go out for breakfast. Many good places to eat on island and Greenport. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: All rooms are furnished differently. Look at the web pics.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Shelter Island is magical and Dering Harbor Inn is one of the island's most beautiful spots. Perched on a bluff overlooking the North Fork, the views of the harbor and sunsets are stunning. It is the perfect spot to get away and relax. My family and I took over the Inn for my wedding weekend in September and I can not imagine a more wonderful place to celebrate and have a family reunion. Besides the magnificent property the rooms are great too - ranging from studios to 2 bedroom villas, the accommodations work well for couples, families, and friends that want to share (Note: Unit #9 was my bridal suite and it was perfect!). The staff is amazing too - Sherri and Barbara in the office treat you like you are a guest in their own house. They are always unbelievably friendly and ready to help you with anything needed from extra towels to a golf cart to move wedding supplies. The Inn also has a great pool and gym. Conveniently located between the North Fork and South Fork allows for easy access to the best of Long Island - the wineries to the North and swanky Hamptons activities to South, but then you get to home to a little slice of heavan. I really can't say enough good things about Dering Harbor Inn. My husband and I are looking forward to visiting for many years to come!

Room Tip: All the rooms are individually owned so furnishings and decor vary. Check the website for pictures...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EJP28
New York
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Recently I was fortunate enough to stay in a one bedroom harbor facing villa which was attractively decorated, well priced, and had a magnificent view of the harbor and Greenport. The reason that my visit was so memorable was that I left the top down on my convertible which was parked in the lot behind my villa. Although there was "no chance of precipitation", needless to say, it did rain. I received a call from Barbara (assistant. manager) telling me that it was raining and that I would need to hurry and get my top up. Although I would have eventually noticed the rain, it was a tremendous gesture and shows the personal attention that one is afforded at the Dering Harbor Inn. Hats off to Barbara and the entire crew. I will def. return. Thanks again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Makers47
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Absolutely love this place! My husband and I have been staying here almost every summer for the past 5 years and it is our slice of heaven. Wonderfully situated property...right on the harbor. Sherri and Barbara who basically run the place, could not be more warm and accommodating!!! While the architecture is a bit outdated, the comforts and surroundings of the place far out weigh that. I would highly recommend Dering Harbor Inn anytime and will be going back to stay for years to come!

Room Tip: Room #19 has a great view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denise S
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed in Suite 17 for a few days to relax. The location is perfection. As others have mentioned the view of the harbor is just beautiful. The staff is friendly and very helpful with suggestions on what to do in the area.

Shelter Island is a magical place and what Martha Vineyard was years ago before the tourists.
I am almost afraid to give this review because I don't want my "hidden gem" to be discovered.
When I need to relax I close my eyes and just picture that beautiful harbor and take a deep breath and almost can smell the sea....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelgirl123z
New York
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Overlooking iconic Dering Harbor on Shelter Island we never tired of the view and the changing play of light - dawn to night – from our living room and porch – around the lawn, plantings and trees at the Dering Harbor Inn. As New Yorkers we were tempted just to gaze, but in our 4 days we gave in to walking, running, biking, driving the Island and even exploring and enjoying the North Fork.

No food but a great array of eating spots are nearby as are stores for whatever you want to cook at home.

The 15 individually owned condominium units are clearly displayed at www.deringharborinn.net so you know exactly what you’re getting - much more private space than a B&B. Units are impeccably maintained to a high standard by a caring and friendly staff. Sherry responds instantly to any query or need. This was our second visit, 9/12 and 6/13, at fall/spring rates and before they were all booked up. We’ll be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed in Suites 17 & 18 for a girl's weekend away to celebrate my 30th birthday. The staff was helpful and friendly. Both suites were beautiful, clean and quiet. They were much larger than they appear in the pictures on the website. The location is fantastic. We all live in NYC and do not have cars. Dering Harbor Inn is located close to the ferry (1/2 mile-short cab ride, but you could also walk) and close to restaurants, groceries and shopping. They have bicycles available to rent at the Inn at very reasonable prices. We biked to Crescent Beach and spent time by the lovely pool. The Inn provides Beach Towels and daily housekeeping- even for the suites. I highly recommend this place and plan to stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in East Marion
Sound View Greenport
Sound View Greenport
#2 of 7 in Greenport

Been to Dering Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!