“We will have to return”
Review of Mashomack Preserve

Mashomack Preserve
More attraction details
Owner description: This Nature Conservancy property spans 2,100 acres, and accounts for one-third of the land on Shelter Island.
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“We will have to return”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I stopped by while poking around Shelter Island. We were not dressed for a hike in the woods, but did enjoy the small visitor center. My wife got a kick out of watching and listening to the lively birds at the feeder that can be viewed through a big plate glass window in the wall of the center. I enjoyed the exhibits about the wild life and habitats of the preserve. I was also impressed that the Nature Conservancy which runs the preserve has designed a number of trails of different lengths, including a short one which is wheelchair and handicapped accessible. We will have to come back better prepared to experience the beauty described by other folks who have visited this natural treasure.

1 Thank Archiva

New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Lush and lovely, but do protect yourself!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

On a cloudy, misty August afternoon my husband and I had just enough time to hike the 1.5-mile Red Trail and enjoyed it enormously. Typical of a Nature Conservancy site, the trails are extremely well marked and maintained. At the Salt Marsh Overlook, we saw lush grasses, glassy water, and an impressive nest of osprey. A helpful staff person welcomed us to preserve, gave us a quick overview of the various trails, and urged us to protect against ticks. (The Visitor Center sells DEET wipes; we opted for head-to-toe coverage, including shoes and hats, and found no evidence of ticks later.) Love the fact that the Visitor Center has composting toilets with tiny fans to pull air down. Hope to be back for a longer hike sometime!

3 Thank sputniktraveler
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was a beautiful walk in the woods with guides who know their stuff! I think the self guided tours would be fun but the two preserve employees who walked with us were fountains of knowledge about Mashomack and their love of the preserve was evident.

Shelter Island, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Natural beauty of Shelter Island”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Mashomack Preserve is very special, it encompasses a third of Shelter Island, and is surrounded by beautiful marshes and beaches, filled with animals, beautiful grasses, trees worth doing at least the yellow trail so you go through the field which is my favorite part of the preserve. You can stand on the bench and look around and feel like you could be anywhere you want in the world quiet and peaceful, we are lucky to have Mashomack!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank erica t
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“watch out for ticks!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Beautiful spot with great hiking trails, but beware of ticks! I Sprayed my ankles with insect repellent and had no ticks, but I pulled about six off of my companion who refused to use the repellent. Take a lesson!

Visited June 2013