“Had a great time....!”
Review of The American Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sharon Springs
The American Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sharon Springs
Reviewed September 3, 2007

My husband took me to the American Inn for my birthday this past weekend and it was wonderful. Our only regret was that we were staying for one night rather than two or more. Doug and Garth could not have been nicer or more accommodating. The rooms, while small, are wonderfully appointed. After arriving, my husband and I relaxed on the 2nd floor porch. I felt like I was back at my grandmother's house I was so at ease. The food (we had breakfast and dinner at the Inn) was superb and the wait-staff in the restaurant just wonderful. Before dinner, we had drinks in the garden; both relaxing and lovely. Doug is a hoot and Garth is charming. It was a perfect place for a get away and we will definitely go again! I am surprised by the review written on March 9th. I cannot imagine Doug or Garth ignoring a guest and, during the time we spent in the common areas of the Inn, we never witnessed the phone being ignored. We will gladly make the 1 hour drive from our home to the Inn just to have dinner, the food was that good. We had a wonderful time.....

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 27, 2007

Whilst travelling throughout New England and NY State we stayed in a wide variety of hotels and Inns and this one was one of our favourites. Doug, Garth and their team make you very welcome and the dining experience including breakfast was worth the trip alone. Dont understand one of the reviewers comments, its an old building and noise will travel! The historical items and pictures in the bar and reception area make for interesting viewing. The rooms while not very big are well furnished in a period style matching the history of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2007

Our stay was awful!! My parents were stuck on the first floor room. People in the bar stayed late into the evening (includng the Inn owner) and my parents did not get to sleep untl 2:00AM. When we called the front desk, the owner didn't answer. My husband and I had a room upstairs over the bar, same problem for us. The beds were uncomfortable and flimsy.
Dinner was good but not worth driving here as a destination. This is a noisy place. If you are looking for peace and quiet, do not book a room here.
The breakfast in the morning was tired. We couldn't wait to leave.

Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank WTBY
american46, Owner at The American Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2007

So sad to see such a negative review. We sincerely strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible, but as is always the case, you cannot be all things to all people. We are a small National Register Hotel with 9 guestrooms, and on the rare occasion when noise becomes a concern for other guests, provided we are notified promptly, we are often able to remedy the situation immediately. I think our other reviews describe a more accurate picture of a stay at the American Hotel.

Reviewed January 27, 2007

From the first moment entering the Hotel, we knew it would be entertaining. The place is amazing, just the right touch of Americana with a large dose of class, and the attention to detail is evident everywhere. The food was outstanding, and the atmosphere comfortable. The stories from one of the owners, Doug, were non-stop and kept us laughing. They have done an incredible rennovation of this old hotel, and still have more to come. We will visit this place on a regular basis. From stories about Rachel Ray to the spirits on the third floor, this place was simply fun. We loved it.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2006

The American Hotel is absolutely amazing! I found this upstate gem three years ago and am thrilled to see how well it is doing. The food is so delicious. Everything tasted superb. My compliments to the chef!
The hotel itself is beautiful and charming with an old American style. It is cozy like a bed and breakfast with the amenities of a larger hotel. The owners and the staff are very professional. They make everyone feel so welcome and so comfortable. If you are looking for class, style and elegance...look no further, you will find it at The American Hotel.
Sharon Springs is a beautiful area to visit especially during the fall foliage season. The American Hotel is a perfect place to get away for a few days of rest, relaxation and romance.
Trust me, you will adore this place. I took my fiance there and he was so enchanted that he vowed to come back at least once a year.
Thank you Doug and Garth! We love your hotel! Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuLuScott
Reviewed October 5, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Inn this past week for two nights and enjoyed every minute of our stay! I found myself making the bed upon rising, not because I had to, but because I felt so much at home! The hosts are very accomodating with meal times, etc. There was nothing to say negatively about our experience. The food...oh my gosh! Gourmet, fresh and soooo tasty! The beds were comfy and all was very very clean. The renovation is amazing when you see what they started with.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelzalot
Reviewed September 18, 2006

My husband and I were making our first trip to Cooperstown and
I had seen this hotel featured on one of the Rachel Ray shows.
Our hosts were warm, friendly and made sure we had everything we could want. Our room was private with its own bath. The hotel is totally restored by the owners and is so special. Check out the photo album. We could not get enough of the corn cakes. Every meal had a gourmet touch.

Sharon Springs NY is a hidden historical gem. Its community is also warm and welcoming.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled as a couple
Countryside Inn
Countryside Inn
#1 of 1 in Richmondville
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown

Been to The American Hotel? Share your experiences!