“This place is pretty weird. I'd give it 2.5 stars if that were an option.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shandaken
Copperhood Retreat & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Shandaken B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“This place is pretty weird. I'd give it 2.5 stars if that were an option.”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I went with a girlfriend recently for a couple of nights. The pros: the food was very healthy and good, the yoga instructor was good and the massage therapist and aesthetician were good. But the room, bathroom and public areas were the quality of a Motel 6 and for the price we were paying I was very shocked.

I don't think we knew what we are getting into -- we wanted to have some massages, do some yoga, read and relax. Just hang out. This place had a very strict schedule and the owner got pretty cranky if you didn't adhere to it -- even though at some points we were the only people there! We even said at one point we would skip an activity and it was clear that that was not an option. One day we didn't even get to finish our lunch because she shooed us off to the next activity and kept mentioning how we were late for everything. And we were the only people there -- it's not like a bunch of other guests were waiting around for us. Of course, our understanding was that the activities were optional!

So, know what you are getting into. If your idea of relaxing is doing whatever you you want, don't go here. If you want to follow a very strict schedule, have good, healthy food and some nice spa appointments and that is your idea of relaxation then this place is for you. Maybe if there were more people there we could have been more anonymous.

And I have to comment on the price again. I was shocked at the final bill. I stayed at The Oriental in Bangkok for less money (you want good food and the best spa on earth...?) and I'll let you guess which one I'd rather go back to.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank CCR-NYC
, Owner at Copperhood Retreat & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Copperhood retreat. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We take great pride in our reputation that we have worked for over 30 years to achieve. I need to ad here that your comments are not representative of the feedback we receive from a majority of our guests,
We are a spa in the classic European sense of the word, and we are inspired in both our philosophy and décor by traditional European spas. Our public area furniture is all solid wood antique and reproductions. We are very different in this sense from many of today’s spas, which tend to be furnished in a minimalistic, modern style. Our bathrooms are all tiled in marble. We feel that this style is appropriate to our philosophy, as well as to our surroundings here in the middle of the centuries-old Catskill forest. Guests may wish to look at our website to see photos of our rooms, bathrooms and common areas.

We have never required any of our guests to take part in any of the activities offered here at the Copperhood, and we regret that you felt pressured to so. This was an unfortunate misunderstanding. For our detox program guests, we recommend that they take part in as many fitness/yoga/hiking sessions as possible, but guests enjoying our Classic Spa packages are completely free to do as they please. We provide a spa schedule at the beginning of each day so that you can see what is offered and plan your own schedule accordingly. If you are the only guests at the spa, it’s helpful to let one of our staff know that you don’t want to take a particular class. This way we can inform our instructors and they won’t be waiting on you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I spent 6 days at the spa in July and wound up coming back (canceling my Canyon Ranch trip) for 5 more days in August. Though not all the bells and whistles of Canyon, it had everything I was looking for. The food was some of the best I've ever had and I am a foodie from New York! The spa services were very nice and easily and conveniently scheduled between exercise classes and meals. The exercise classes were a mix of yoga, strength and aqua, most were good - but sometimes not challenging due to the mix of abilities in the class. The daily hiking was amazing, I never liked hiking but became a big fan this summer. Elizabeth sets a pace and you just try to keep up with her, I got better each and every day. I will definitely return, the spot of this resort is breathtaking and peaceful!

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces the Esopus River!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2011

For a $400 a day spa experience, this was a total disappointment. There were only three guests in the large facility and, because business was down, the neurotic inkeeper didn't hire instructors to provide daily yoga classes or other appropriate conditioning activities promised in the ads. The quality of the food was barely passable--one piece of fish I was served was definitely not fresh. The acupuncture treatment provided by the spa was a disaster: I was left bleeding in three places. The all-in-one waiter, chef, custodian is a nice young man who is shamefully exploited by the innkeeper, who keeps him working 12 hour days 7 days a week. Elisabeth, the innkeeper, seems to enjoy gossiping with one guest about the other. Not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
15 Thank Babs303
, Owner at Copperhood Retreat & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2011
Dear Barbara,

Though we regret that you did not enjoy your stay, we appreciate that you took the time to write a review. All feedback is useful.

In our initial communications with potential clients, we strive to determine whether the individual is a good fit for our spa. Our goal is not to fill our facility with people who are looking for something different. Sometimes, however, someone who may have preferred a different type of a resort does arrive. We regret that this happens and do everything we can to steer people the right way.

It's not unusual for us to have 3 guests staying with us; on average we have anywhere between 1 and 15 on any given day. This allows us to provide the personalized service that many guests are looking for. Many of our guests come here looking for a quiet, healthy environment where they can detox, heal and establish healthy living patterns. This is another reason that we try to avoid taking in a guest who is looking for something different; one disappointed person can alter the positive vibe that makes the Copperhood a happy, laid back place.

Our spa is run by a core group of people who live on or next door to the spa, and we are all essentially on call all the time. The day's work ebbs and flows for all of us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is not one person on whom all the responsibility falls. In addition to our core staff, we have instructors and therapists who come in six or seven days a week, to teach yoga, modern dance, aqua-aerobics etc or provide all other spa services. I like to reassure you that nobody feels exploited here.

In regards to the acupuncture treatment, the ear lobe has many subsurface capillaries.which are sometimes impossible to avoid. If small capillary is punctured—and capillaries are everywhere—it may cause a tiny spot of blood to emerge.. These are mild reactions and no cause for concern and our acupuncturist explained that to you.

Your food critique of low calorie menu of our freshest garden ingredients is undeserved. We have never served bad food here. We may serve something that you may not like but we always check if you enjoy the dish and the feedback from you was very complementary until your premature departure.. If there was something not to your liking it should have been brought to our attention right away not three days later.

We at the Copperhood, pride ourselves on offering full range of activities even if we only have one guest. Our fitness classes are “open level “ which means that they are e modified to fit distinct guests abilities. We had full range of classes including yoga every day during your visit . If you got misled by names such as yogalates or gentle stretch, I am sorry. These classes were led by certified yoga teacher and the name simply addressed the focus of the class. If you expected to have instruction one on one you should have booked a private session.

We are sorry that you did not find what you were looking for at our spa and wish you the best of luck in finding a facility that better suits your needs.
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Staying at Copperhood for three weeks is probably the best decision ( next to marrying my husband ) that I have ever made for my own health and enjoyment.

I was in terrible shape when I went to Copperhood - years of over eating and over drinking, sleeping too little, no exercise, lots of work stress etc. I motivated to go there when I was having trouble walking more then five city blocks. My life is really different now and it only took three weeks to turn it around - during which I was still able to work online about 3-4 hours a day ( most of that after 6:30 pm ) so that I could keep up with the time sensitive aspects of my job.

I did the juice fast for 8 days and then switched to juice twice a day and a meal once a day at lunch. I did the power walk 5 out of the 6 days it is offered every week, swam free style every day for about 45 minutes and took at least one of the 3 group exercise classes that is offered.

The owner ( Elizabeth ) is tremendously smart, funny and sincerely interested in everyone's success. She expects you to take your goals seriously and gently but seriously nudges you to do so. She is in excellent shape herself and leads the majority of the power walks which is a good way for her to see how people are coping with the program - she is ever present in the spa lobby if you want to talk.

They are serious about their juice - it is all freshly made with many home grown organic vegetables. If you are not detoxing but simply eating healthy you will be happy with what an excellent job they do with simple and healthy meals - excellent taste, preparation and presentation.

The group instruction is also very good - and the size of the spa is small enough that you sometimes get classes of one, two, three people - depending on how many people choose a particular class. For example one day - I wound up with a personal yoga session - which was awesome.

Copperhood like any wellness retreat of this quality is not inexpensive but it is really worth the investment. My family budget was truly stretched to allow this but I have no question that it was worth the money, the time and the mental space - in fact I am thinking about setting up a special savings account to go back sometime later this year.

Also worth noting is that the area of the Catskills where Copperhood is located is truly beautiful - the area towns were hit hard by Hurricane Irene but people are working together to rebuild.

SInce I have been back to work - I have lost about 3 more lbs - joined a gym and found a good raw food and juice bar only a block from my office on Union Square

Room Tip: If you want a tub - make sure you ask for it
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This may have been the best week of my life. I came here to de-stress and I couldn't have chose a better place. The setting is amazing. Just a rushing creek and mountain range in front of you. And the sun sets over the mountain. From my room, I heard the sound of rushing water all night long. The place is just magical. I was on a juice fast for one week but some other folks here were eating and they all raved about the food. Copperhood is privately owned and not a institutional resort. Everyone is so nice. We went on guided hikes every morning with Elizabeth, who is an amazing woman. All of the instructors (yoga, meditation, water aerobics, tai-chi) were great. And the people that provide treatments (massage, etc) were great and some were extraordinary. I will be back and I will always remember this enchanted week that I have spent here.

Room Tip: Creek side
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
ericroache
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Went for a 3 day juice fast. It was surprisingly easy to do the fast. The accommodations were lovely, up to date and had everything one could need. There is an indoor pool, exercise equipment and a lovely yoga and meditation room. The hiking was great. The Inn is on a creek and has a large porch for sitting and reading. All in all it was a perfect retreat. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Dear Elizabeth and Lech

Our stay at The Copperhood was immensely enjoyable. You and Lech are marvellous people, and we feel that it has been a privilige to get to know you. The atmosphere at Copperhood is brilliant, the people, the food, the programs – the relaxed hospitality from you and the staff - together it makes a complete holiday. How helpful you were when we had the incident, will never be forgotten. You and Lech did much more than anybody can ask for. We can´t wait to return to Copperhood.
We have continued the diet we had with you. We have fruit and granola with almondmilk in the morning, salat and fruits at lunch and light meal and fruits for dinner. Skafti lost between 8 and 9 percent of his body weight, without getting hungry and in all while enjoying excellent - sometimes a little unfamiliar - gourmet boarding. We have tried to have the size of the portions as you did now we are at home and Skafti has continued to lose weight. He has been forced to renew his wardrobe and if the trend continues will fit into our son’s slim fit suits in the autumn.
This mixture of healthy exercise, beautiful landscape, delicous food in right portions and stimulating company did nothing but good for us. It costs some dollars but is a good investment.

All the best to you and Lech. Thank you again and hope to see you soon.

Best, Kristín and Skafti

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristinth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shandaken
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
#1 of 2 in Big Indian
The Graham & Co.
The Graham & Co.
#1 of 2 in Phoenicia

Been to Copperhood Retreat & Spa? Share your experiences!