I went with a girlfriend recently for a couple of nights. The pros: the food was very healthy and good, the yoga instructor was good and the massage therapist and aesthetician were good. But the room, bathroom and public areas were the quality of a Motel 6 and for the price we were paying I was very shocked.
I don't think we knew what we are getting into -- we wanted to have some massages, do some yoga, read and relax. Just hang out. This place had a very strict schedule and the owner got pretty cranky if you didn't adhere to it -- even though at some points we were the only people there! We even said at one point we would skip an activity and it was clear that that was not an option. One day we didn't even get to finish our lunch because she shooed us off to the next activity and kept mentioning how we were late for everything. And we were the only people there -- it's not like a bunch of other guests were waiting around for us. Of course, our understanding was that the activities were optional!
So, know what you are getting into. If your idea of relaxing is doing whatever you you want, don't go here. If you want to follow a very strict schedule, have good, healthy food and some nice spa appointments and that is your idea of relaxation then this place is for you. Maybe if there were more people there we could have been more anonymous.
And I have to comment on the price again. I was shocked at the final bill. I stayed at The Oriental in Bangkok for less money (you want good food and the best spa on earth...?) and I'll let you guess which one I'd rather go back to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning boutique destination, where for last 32 years guests found the perfect environment for transformative vacations of wellness and rejuvenation. Nestled in the lush Catskill Mountains, a two-hour drive from New York City, the 15 room sanctuary provides an ideal balance of comfort and elegance, relaxation and fitness, gourmet and healthful. We offer a range of result-driven programs for accelerated weight-loss, detox, juice fasting, raw food diet, fitness renewal and stress relief as well as classic restorative spa holidays. Hike, bike, snow-shoe or ski; relax in the sun or wade in the creek; fish, play tennis, bird-watch or spot wildlife while dining on gourmet, local farm to table meals, Our ultimate goal is always to help you bring healthy new habits back home. Visit us here amid our lovely mountains and come away slimmer, healthier and assured: the universe is evolving, as it should! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Copperhood Retreat And Spa
- Copperhood Retreat Hotel Shandaken
- Copperhood Retreat & Spa Shandaken, NY - Catskill Region