“Excellent Customized Personal Service at Copperhood Inn Resort and Spa”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shandaken
Copperhood Retreat & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Shandaken B&B and Inns
New York City
“Excellent Customized Personal Service at Copperhood Inn Resort and Spa”
Reviewed September 26, 2007

My client group and I, consisting of 24 guests in all have just returned from 4 days at the Copperhood Inn and Spa.

Elizabeth, the owner has successfully created an elegant European country inn and spa nestled in the Catskills. Overlooking the Esopus Creek and providing a magnificent view of Mount Sheridan, Copperhood is an excellent place to conduct a retreat - a beautiful, peaceful and secluded setting that promotes health, wellness and productivity, away from the distractions, and busyness of New York City. My guests and I had exclusive use of the Inn.

I offer only high phrase and appreciation to the staff at Copperhood. The staff provided customized personal service. They were extremely accommodating, patience, warm and friendly. In particular, Radek the chef, Susan the spa director and Elizabeth, the owner were amazing.

I stayed in an exquisite one bedroom suite that included a half bathroom on the lower level, a full bath on the upper level with bidet and Jacuzzi. The living room included a dining area, couch, sofa chairs, TV and refrigerator (enclosed in an armoire). The suite included a separate bedroom with a king-size bed and goose down comforter.

The food was beyond excellent. Fresh ingredients were impeccably prepared. Copperhood serves no red meat yet provides a wide variety of delicious and satisfying fish and poultry dishes accompanied with homemade soups, breads, spreads and excellent deserts.

All of my guests raved about the spa treatments, which were included in the cost of a 3-4 day stay. Additionally, guests made full use of the hot tub, pool, fitness room and yoga classes.

I highly recommend Copperhood Inn and Spa and look forward to my return.

Stayed September 2007
4 Thank borange1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
lydle
Reviewed June 10, 2007

We've just returned with my husband from a magical weekend spent at Copperhood Inn & Spa where we celebrated our 35th anniversary. The place has 40 acres of pristine nature including a secluded island with hiking trails, a tennis court and 2 inhabitants - a goat and a sheep. The rooms are very tastfully decorated in european style. The elegantly served gourmet food is "out of this world" , the cousine is very healthy, from the freshest ingredients, the service impeccable. Everyone was going out of the way to make our stay as pleasnat and comfortable as possible. The owner Elizabeth Winograd is avid outdoor activist, and was leading us on hiking and biking tours as well as encouraged our participation in Zen meditation and Yoga and modern Dance classes. Both my husband and myself enjoyed the SPA treatments as well as swimming in Olympic size pool and relaxing in the whirlpool and sauna. All in all it was an unforgeterful experinece and we can't forget the scinery we've been enjoying either from our room windows or while dining on the terrace overlooking the Esopus Creek and the island

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank lydle
Northern New Jersey
Reviewed March 21, 2007

This is a real gem for those looking for a place to relax and unwind. The setting is gorgeous; my room was large, comfortable and tastefully decorated; and the meals were scrumptuous.

This is a family-owned spa, and you can see and feel the pride that the owner, Elizabeth, takes in it. At the same time, there is an elegance about it. I was consistently treated as an honored guest -- particularly at meals, which are served with elegance worthy of a fine restaurant (although the guests are all welcome to come in spa attire -- and we did.)

You can be as active or as quiet as you like here. For my three-day stay, we did cross country skiing on the spa's private island on two mornings and snow shoeing in the forest preseve across the street on the third. All of the equipment was provided at no additional charge and was in good shape.

I was at Copperhood during a particularly quiet time. There were three other guests my first two days and then I was the only guest midweek. I was very impressed that they run their classes and other activities even if there is only one attendee.

If you are looking for the hustle and bustle and busy pace of some larger spas, then Copperhood probably isn't for you. For those of us who enjoy peace and quiet in a beautiful setting, this is a marveous find. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank NJ_Traveler05
Hoboken , NJ
Reviewed February 25, 2007

What a pleasant surprise the Copperhood Inn was for us. I had found it listed on Spafinders and my two girlfriends and I booked our trip for Presidents Day weekend. Elizabeth the proprietress was warm and welcoming. Radek who assists Elizabeth whisked our bags to our suite and we sat down for a wonderful meal by the fireplace in the dining room. The meal was far beyond our expectations as were all of the meals we were served during our stay. I had been suffering with a cold, and Elizabeth had offered to send a pot of hot tea with honey and lemon to our suite for me. I was so grateful and felt very well taken care of, the whole weekend long. There was snow shoeing which was a gas and cross country skiing, which I missed but the others enjoyed immensely. I indulged in a European Body Treatment (the spa's specialty) and it was just what the doctor ordered, two hours of bliss. The next day I had a facial and a massage , both were terrific. In between we enjoyed yoga classes at 5pm each day and movies in the evening after dinner. I am anxiously awaiting the next time I go to the Copperhood Inn & Spa and highly recommend it for the price!

Thank you Elizabeth, Radek and all at the Copperhood for a most enjoyable stay!

• Liked — Cozy atmosphere
  • Disliked — Feeling too ill to take part in all the options available to me
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MSkea
Manhattan, NYC
Reviewed February 21, 2007

Just returned relaxed, rejuvenated and thrilled with what a wonderful experience we had at the Copperhood Spa. Amazing food, friendly service and just immense, immence peace! What a lovely, quiet getaway from the city. We both enjoyed wonderful massages. The cross country skiing on the premises was lovely, and the pool is large enough to swim real laps.

We're planning on going back with friends before the ski season is over.

• Liked — The peace
  • Disliked — fly in bathtub
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank willshine
Hatfield, PA
Reviewed February 15, 2007

When you enter this charming inn, you are instantly trasported into a calm like no other. From the fantastic spa cuisine, the luxurious spa treatments and the plentiful ameneties(pool, sauna, jacuzzi, etc. etc.) this is the perfect location to visit alone to "get away from it all" or as a couple to celebrate some "us" time.

The staff is amazing and no detail is missed. Every member is repectful of your time and space without making you feel like you are alone. Proprietess Elizabeth makes sure every aspect of your stay has a personal touch - plus she is a fantastic tour guide.

I highly recommend that any spa lover check out this gem of the Catskills!

• Liked — The personal attention to every detail of my stay!
  • Disliked — That I couldn't have stayed longer.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank sinatra1269
New York, NY
Reviewed February 14, 2007

For my birthday in January, my partner asked me, “Where in the world would you like to spend your birthday?” and without hesitation I answered, “The Copperhood Inn and Spa in Shandanken, New York.”

I had been there a few times over the last few years and wanted him to experience the beauty and charm that is Copperhood that I always came home and raved about.

We arrived late afternoon on a Friday and were warmly greeted by Elizabeth. I was pleasantly surprised to see all the renovations that she had done to the place. The reception area was now warmed by a fireplace, and a beautifully decorated Christmas tree stood near a plush couch. Nearby a coffee table had a lovely bowl of fresh fruit and the server had a variety of teas, juices, water and coffee that were available whenever one needed a quick pick-me-up.

Her assistant Radek, immediately took our bags and showed us to our suite which was private, immaculate, and had a glorious view of Mount Sheridan. It was just as I remembered. Also as part of Copperhood is a small island visible outside our window. Surrounding the small island is a lovely rolling stream and on the island is the small barn where Elizabeth’s goat and sheep graze freely. (A site I so appreciate coming from Manhattan.)

I rested awhile and then decided to take the late afternoon yoga class. Not being in tip-top shape, the class was geared to low impact and I found it just right for me being in the shape that I am in. No pressure, just relaxing with lots of breathing in of clean air and a view of the rolling stream as you worked out. (Again unlike Manhattan.)

I always look forward to the meals at Copperhood as they are homemade, nutritious and very tasty. The vegetable soups are delicious and served with my favorite, the homemade bread. What I enjoy most about the food at this spa is that you are served real food and real coffee made from a French press at your table. At Copperhood you’re not served meager little portions of non-tasty foods that other spas are famous for. The entrees, whether chicken or fish, are always cooked to perfection and not overly saucy. And, after dinner, always fresh fruit and berries or if you’re not on a diet, a wonderful homemade dessert.

When I woke up the next morning, I was happy to go out on my terrace and breath the clean beautiful air. As it was winter, the grounds were not brimming with lush green foliage as they were on a prior visit in the spring, but it was still glorious to see the tree-lined mountains and the rushing water of the rolling stream. I remember when I was here last the snow was steep and I had a wonderful time snowshoeing around the island with a group of other guests.

One of the highpoints of our stay was the hike up Mount Garfield. This is a somewhat challenging hike but I managed to stay with the group and make it to the top of the mountain. Once I reached the top, Elizabeth handed me a small stone and said, “Make a wish and place this stone on top of this mound of stones where other guests have placed their stones and made their wishes.” My wish was that I made it down the mountain without a hitch, a stumble or fall, or better yet, that my shoes stayed intact. Last time I attempted Mount Garfield, my hiking boots fell apart but was able to get down the mountain on sheer determination and a faulty boot. All in all, the hike was one that I will always remember and even can laugh about to this day.

Once I got down the mountain, I said to myself, “Good food, beautiful surroundings, what more could I ask for?” Massages and pampering, of course.

My partner and I had massages scheduled. On Saturday, I got the European Body Treatment (which I think is the best deal for the money) and on Sunday, I also experienced a hot stone massage where I almost melted (in a good way, of course). I had two expert and very professional masseuses. By the time I got off the table, I felt like a noodle and was totally relaxed. In my book, the mark of a successful massage.

On the day we were to leave, we were asked if we were interested in a water aerobics class. I, of course, said yes. The pool was warm and clean and the class was fun and invigorating. (I think I even broke a real sweat.) I left the pool and immediately got into the hot tub where I unwound and finished my stay until it was time to leave.

If you’re looking for a scene…not for you… If you’re looking for action…definitely not for you. If you’re looking for a tension-free, relaxing, no-stress atmosphere, where you are well taken care of and pampered…this is definitely for you! Whether you come with a spouse, significant other or with a friend, this is a sure bet, a real find, and a winner! I have to say that I especially enjoy the privacy of the place when it is not too busy. I feel especially lucky if we’re among the only ones there. It’s like having a private spa all to ourselves and how often can one say that?

We left New York wound “tighter than a drum” and thanks to our trip to Copperhood Inn and Spa, we turned ourselves back into stress- and tension-free humans.

And a special shout out to praise the housekeeping staff. I found them to be most helpful and they made sure all our needs were met and our rooms were kept spotless.

Thank you to Elizabeth and the entire staff of the Copperhood Inn and Spa in helping make our trip a truly memorable one. We will be returning soon.

• Liked — The peace and quiet.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank WestsideKaren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shandaken
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 3 in Fleischmanns
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Copperhood Retreat & Spa? Share your experiences!