“Good eats!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Jackson Avenue
Transit: Walking distance from the Seaford train station.(LIRR) MTA bus stop just 3 doors away
Description: Step into Runyon's and you'll quickly forget about the cars cruising along Merrick Road just outside. Half of Runyon's is a bar large enough to accommodate two or three softball teams and a popcorn machine. The other half is an informal seafood restaurant and grill with cozy booths. There are plenty of options if you just want something to nosh on with your beer; not just wings and chili, but more exotic choices like kung po squid and fried brie. A signature item is the pizetta, prepared with clams, buffalo-style chicken, spinach or pesto, stone-baked on a seasoned pita. There is also a slew of seafood, steaks, burgers, sandwiches and pasta selections, all satisfactory enough for former Newsday/Long Island Press columnist Ed Lowe to mention the place in his essays whenever he gets the chance. -- J. Gidman Zumpano
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The best lobster seafood bisque you will find anywhere. Main dishes are better then average the service could be a bit better but is still fine. Good place for couples, or friends.

3  Thank D-scarecrow-Colbourn

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We've been coming here for years. Probably a half dozen times a year. For those who have never been here, it's a popular neighborhood bar/restaurant. There is ample parking in the public lot with a back entrance at the building's rear. There are blackboard specials on the weekend. The everyday menu is a mix of appetizers, salads, chicken and seafood entrees with nice steaks, burgers, wraps and pasta. Something for everyone and a talented chef. We went this past Saturday at about 5:30 PM. Seated immediately with no reservation. We've sometimes encountered rushed service with a wait and bus staff that seems to be under orders to turn tables quickly. Our waitress came for drink orders and asked us if we were ready to order when she returned with our drinks a few minutes later. We told her that we needed more time. The menu is extensive and when she came again a few minutes later, I was still undecided. Finally on her third appearance, I was ready and ordered the sesame fried shrimp, which I have enjoyed in the past along with a bowl of the blackboard special soup. My wife ordered a chicken entree which came with the house salad. Bear in mind that this was all within only a few minutes of being seated. Within literally two minutes my soup and my wife's salad appeared tableside. Obviously both were made ahead. My soup was called a "Reuben" and was a spin on corned beef and cabbage along with potatoes and rye croutons in a thick broth. Delicious. My wife's house salad was ordinary. No sooner than my wife had finished her last fork full of salad than our waitress appeared with a busboy in tow with our entrees. No effort was made to clear the dirty dishes and the waitress stood, with plate in hand, over me and said "excuse me" expecting me to make space for her to serve me. I told her to clear the dirty plates first and she said that that was why the bus boy was behind her. My watch showed 5:55 PM, only 25 minutes since we entered. The fried shrimp were large, butterfied and very good although the sesame coating was less than I remembered from past visits. My wife had neither complaints nor raves for her chicken. We took our time eating, opted not to have one of their desserts and left.

I don't know who trains the wait staff, but when we go out to eat, we like to have a pleasant meal with spacing between the courses and a chance at conversation. The staff at Runyons seems to value speed at the expense of customer satisfaction. Many times in the past when eating here we have had bus boys try and clear our plates before we were even finished eating. They're young men who are following orders, so the blame must rest with management. We'll continue coming here because it is nearby, has good food and decent prices. But the next time I'm going to make sure that the staff doesn't rush us and will complain to management if they do. Attention Runyons, it's not all about the food, it's customer satisfaction that gets you return customers.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Been here many times, excellent drinks, great burgers, in the summer terrific seafood and fried ice cream.....can't go wrong here. Wait staff is attentive and friendly,

Reviewed November 8, 2012

terrific house steak and excellent burgers..hot bar from happy hour on..live music on wed..imaginative specials and different deals each day..sunday football menu is a steal!! the bartenders always know your name and your drink!

1  Thank Noreen N
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Nice place for girls nite out or guys nite out. Also private room for parties. Good value- good service