“Tavolo's Always Delivers”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mohawk Avenue
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Angelo's Tavolo, at the Glen Sanders Mansion, in Scotia, NY is consistently a good experience. We prefer to eat at the bar in the basement, the bar was busy, but we were able to find a couple of comfortable stools. The tables behind us were filling up quickly as well. A nod to the Mazzone group for having yet another good spot to dine.
Part of the experience of eating at the bar is chatting with the bar tender. We asked him what martini was his favorite to make. He said he was working on a new one and asked if I like lemon and basil. When I said yes, he muddled some basil and created a delicious lemon basil martini that was as fresh as it was delicious.
We ordered the Bruschetta with house-made ricotta, honey and guanciale (un-smoked Italian bacon) and were disappointed. The ricotta was dry, the honey barely showed up and the guanciale had little flavor. We wouldn't order this appetizer again. This is one reason why this review is for only four starts instead of five. The bread, however, is worth the visit alone. They serve the bread and breadsticks with a dish of delicious accompaniments and a nice dry cheese. The portion seemed a little smaller than on previous visits, but if asked, they would bring more.
The entree portions are always a good size at Tavolo, so we typically share just one entree. For the sake of the review, however, we felt we should order two entrees. The Veal Chop Parmigiano, Tavolo Style, is served with a choice of pasta; we chose the house-made spinach gnocchi. As with the bread, this did not disappoint. The chop was tender, smothered in mozzarella; the gnocchi were equally as tender. The Pappardelle alla Bolognese is always delicious. It's unfortunate that they don't make their own pappardelle, but the bolognese is so good, the fact that it isn't house-made pasta is almost overlooked (reason #2 for four stars).
Overall, we will certainly go back to Tavolo. The staff is always friendly and attentive and the food is consistently good.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Tavolo is the restaurant located @ Glen Sanders Mansion. The facility offers Weddings and Banquet packages.
There is also a small bar downstairs. Tavolo is partially in the historic part of the building plus it has a newer
addition wine room. The food (like all Mazzone properties) is top notch. The menu has some similar items like
the other properties but also has some very special items like the often mentioned home made Mozzarella.
Serivce is attentive (slightly aggressive with the wine list) Hard to find a flaw with anything portion of the meal

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary at Angelo's. Our dinner was unbelievable. You must try the table-side mozzarella appetizers. I had the one with grilled artichokes, arugula and balsamic glaze. It was incredible. I've never tasted mozzarella so good. Our entrees were also fantastic. The service was attentive but not annoying. The atmosphere was warm and inviting. The noise level rose a bit when a large party was seated near us but it was the end of our meal so it was not a problem. It was a wonderful experience and I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We decided to eat here on Valentine’s Day 2013. The food and atmosphere were good though the service was a little sub-par. It may have been the night, but after finishing dessert and the bottle of wine we shared we sat at our table for 20+ minutes waiting for the bill. It looked as though the waiter was overwhelmed. However once he had our payment he was to the register and back in less than 30 seconds. I would recommend it if you have the time and don’t mind feeling like you are one of 50 people the server is waiting on that night.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I've been a here a few times for lunches and dinners with my company. It's a high end kind of place that is typically above what I'm willing to spend on dinner but the ambiance, food and service are all excellent. If cost isn't an issue, then this place will not disappoint.
The staff has always been outstanding and the food has always been excellent. I've never seen or heard anyone I've been there with complain about either service or food on any of my visits. The decor is upscale yet cozy. I also love the history of the place. Fascinating.
I'd recommend giving it a try for that special occasion or anytime you're on someone else's dime.