“Family Wedding @ Glen Sanders”

The Inn At Glen Sanders Mansion
Ranked #1 of 1 Scotia B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We recently stayed at the Glen Sanders for a family wedding. While the wedding itself was wonderful, our room was horrible and I would never stay there again. In particular, our bathroom was a disgrace! The sink was unusable - totally plugged - so you had to get on your hands and knees over the bathtub to do what you would normally do in a sink - the toilet was not even bolted to the floor, and the tub area was old and chipped and dirty looking. The carpet at the entry was worn to the threads and had stains in places. Not what I would have expected for a place with what I thought was a good reputation. Not to mention that we complained several times about the issues and nothing was done - it was like the issues were totally ignored.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Mary B
There are newer reviews for The Inn At Glen Sanders Mansion

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

You don't need a national brand with hotels like this available. Room was very comfortable and easy to work in with the free wifi. Continental breakfast was fine and complimentary as well. I ate at the restaurant only once, and the food and service were great.

The hotel staff was most accommodating and very helpful with special requests. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank DavidR2000
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I'm usually a fan of chain hotels - Hampton, in particular, offers reliable amenities for reasonable pricing. At first, I was disappointed when my company's travel department booked me into the Glen Sanders (or as I took to calling it, the "Ned Flanders"), but after spending a wonderful evening there I'm eating my words.

Location: It's kind of a pain to get to - just on the Scotia side of the western gateway bridge, off a Jersey-esque intersection (no left turn, nutty little half-side street). The hotel overlooks the Mohawk river (Erie canal) and the view from the riverside rooms is spectacular. It's about 30 mins from Albany airport, and 10 mins from downtown Schenectady.

Amenities: The rooms have nice Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries, newly-remodeled bathrooms (no tub though - just a shower), free wifi (unsecured, not password protected...use a VPN), and a decent selection of channels on the flatscreen TV. There is a continental breakfast in the morning which includes fruit, yogurt, coffee, cereal, and a waffle iron (despite the northeast location, there's no real maple syrup - only that nasty "breakfast syrup" swill that I wouldn't force on my worst enemy). The bed in my room was a king, and quite comfortable, though the alarm clock was some sort of ipod dock (without an ipod) and therefore difficult to figure out. Everything was clean. The restaurant downstairs is nice, but pricey for the area.

Service: The Glen Sanders is mostly used as a catering hall, and hosts many weddings. The night I stayed there, they were hosting two events for large local businesses. When I pulled in, two young guys in vests approached my car, and rather than offering to park it (which I first thought was their intent), they asked if I were attending either of the events and upon my negative response, directed me to park in the very back of the lot. Naturally, I proceeded to park where I f'ing wanted to because I was a paying guest. That was the only bad service I received the entire time; however - the front desk staff were very helpful, courteous, and efficient.

Overall: The Glen Sanders is a beautiful hotel with nice rooms and (mostly) decent staff. The built-in restaurant is top notch, and it beats the heck out of staying in downtown Schenectady.

Room Tip: I've heard that the add-on apartments are inferior - Room 110 (where I stayed) is a ground-level...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Oliver R
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I had stayed at Glen Sanders Mansion for my sisters wedding, the room I was in was great, had some nice updates but I know that some of the other rooms were being updated. Staff was very nice and even made sure to have a key ready for my girlfriend that was meeting me there and could not make the rehearsal at the church. I would recommend for a wedding weekend, they really get hospitality.

Room Tip: Get the river side for a nice view and patio on second floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2012

The wedding was absolutely perfect. They catered to our every need and the wedding coordinator and staff were exceptional. The food was some of the best I have ever eaten. The room, however, was another matter. The front of the sink in the bathroom was coming apart. The lamps in the room were all wobbly and the shades had cracks and holes in them. The desk was all scratched up and had the finish missing. My daughters wedding was beautiful but the room left alot to be desired.

Room Tip: Be careful when you turn on lights, they need new ones.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank cathy m
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I spent two nights at this hotel while on a business trip. Many things about the inn were charming: it's location overlooking the river, the small history exhibit in the lobby, the cookies by the reception desk, the overall decor, and the very good food served in the adjoining restaurant.

The main part of the room was standard with a comfortable bed. But the bathroom had not been cleaned and there was plenty of evidence of the previous occupant. Even after I called reception to complain and housekeeping came by to re-clean, it was obvious that the room hadn't been properly swept. Too bad, because otherwise hotel has a lot to recommend it. The fact that the bathroom wasn't clean made me wonder where else the hotel cuts corners.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SPR_11
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had our wedding in the ballroom in May 2010 (not long after the ballroom was completely redone.) They could not have been nicer during the process. There was a scheduling mix-up that resulted in us having to change the wedding day (discovered 10 months before the wedding, so few things were booked yet) and we had Angelo himself apologizing to us and trying to make it right. (They did - we got tons of extras added to our package for free and it all ended up working out fine). Our ceremony was in the lobby by the fireplace and the reception was in the ballroom (and the after party in the pub downstairs - one should always drink pints of guinness in one's wedding dress). The staff was fantastic, especially our handler (or whatever they want to call the personal server assigned to the bride and groom), Maki. Extra food and desserts were packed up and set up in our room just in case we didn't get a chance to eat. They also run the wedding receptions well so it doesn't feel like there is a ton of downtime while people are eating. Would recommend a wedding there to anyone (especially because it is one of the cheaper places in the area and a great value). Our wedding was the third wedding we've attended there. All have been great.

We've been to dinner at Tavolo multiple times and have never been disappointed. Reservations recommended, especially on a Friday or Saturday night. It is a small place and gets full. The table-side pulled mozzarella dishes are amusing and tasty. My husband could live on the 7 hour cherry pepper pork. Servers are always very friendly.

We've also been to the mother's day brunch once (this past year). Good experience. Would go again. Only complaint - they try to cram as many tables as possible in so it can be a little bit of a tight fit. Our group was on one of the edge tables near the servers' door, so there was always traffic behind our chairs (I'm one of those people that doesn't really like people walking behind my chair and will always choose the corner when possible).

We've stayed in the inn three times. Once for a wedding in 2006 - stayed in the corner room 211). Comfy bed, nice room. For our wedding and then for our first anniversary, we stayed in the Sanders suite. It is upstairs and is the larger of the 2 suites. The jetted tub in the bedroom, a huge bed, a dining table, a couch, a nice bathroom with a big shower (and they actually give you shampoo AND conditioner) and a fireplace in the living room. I got ready in the room before the wedding and there was plenty of space for everyone. The room also has a large balcony overlooking the river with a table and chairs and a loveseat/chair patio set. We spent a large part of our anniversary stay sitting out there looking at the river. Very relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotia
The Parker Inn & Suites
#9 of 15 in Schenectady
Homewood Suites by Hilton Schenectady
DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady
Courtyard Schenectady at Mohawk Harbor

Been to The Inn At Glen Sanders Mansion? Share your experiences!