“Excellent choice”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Schoharie
Bradford, New York
“Excellent choice”
Reviewed April 14, 2007

My friend and I were on a business trip but planned to stop at Howe Caverns on our way back. We stopped at this Holiday Inn Express on our way. It is right off the highway, so it was very convenient. When we arrived, we asked the desk clerk where the nearest restaurants were. He not only suggested a couple of nice places but also had menus on hand for us to look at. The hotel itself was very clean and had spacious rooms. Our room had a king-sized bed, small fridge, microwave w/paper plates & bowls, iron/board, hair dryer, small sofa, coffee table, and plenty of towels. There was an extensive continental breakfast offered in a large dining area with a TV. Every Wed. night they have a complimentary cocktail party to meet the managers. They serve wine and snacks. We didn't attend the party because we were on our way out for dinner. We were very satisfied with the accomodations, staff, and price. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable room
  • Disliked — Could hear the people upstairs walking around in the morning....creaky floor!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Pam S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Central NY
Reviewed July 6, 2006

My wife made reservations for me a week in advance for a business trip. I was advised that this was the best place to stay for some business I had a few miles West on Route 88. Since I didn't know whether I would need the room for one night or two, the reservation clerk advised reserving for the 2nd night, and said as long as I cancelled the 2nd night reservation before 6PM on that day, I wouldn't be charged.

The room was clean, but somewhat stark. I asked for a wake-up call, which never came. The continental breakfast consisted of a few bins of cereal, and four very unappetizing and stale-looking Danish in a case. I passed, and had breakfast at a local diner instead.

Before leaving in the morning, I cleared everything out of the room, as I did not want to have to go back to the hotel if I finished my business in town early. I went to the desk clerk to ask what to do with the room key - should I leave it at the desk, since I didn't know if I would be back or not? She said no, if you end up not coming back, just destroy the key. She asked if I would know whether I needed the room by 12PM. I said no, I was told I didn't need to cancel for the 2nd night until 6PM. She said, IF I knew by 2PM, could I let them know. I said I didn't think I would know by then, but IF I did know, I would call.

At 5PM, I realized I would finish my business that night, and I would not need the room for the 2nd night. My wife called from home and cancelled the room by no later than 5:10 PM. She asked for a cancellation confirmation number, but the desk clerk said that I had "checked out" that morning, so it showed as an "early departure", and as such had no confirmation number. My wife insisted that she needed SOMETHING to prove she had cancelled the room. The desk clerk promised to send her an e-mail confirming the cancellation. The e-mail never arrived.

The next day, when my wife checked our credit card statement online, she discovered that I had been charged for TWO nights, PLUS another $68. When she called to find out why, they said I had not called to cancel the room until 7:30 PM so the $68 charge was for a half-night for a late departure, and the two-night charge was for the "hold" the hotel put on our credit card for the two night stay! (In actuality, I had left the hotel at 7:30 AM!)

My wife told the clerk (and later, the manager) that she had called to cancel the 2nd night by 5:10PM. The manager said I had been told that if I didn't cancel by 2PM, I would be charged for the 2nd night. I was absolutey NOT told anything of the kind. After a bit of wrangling, the manager reluctantly relented and said the two night charge would be reduced to a one-night charge, and the half-night charge would be reversed. That was on Friday. The manager did send an e-mail confirming this.

On Monday, a check of our credit card statement online showed that the two-night charge had been turned into a one-night charge as promised, but the half-night charge had NOT been reversed, PLUS there was an additional $15 charge showing as pending, no explanation what it was for! My wife called the hotel and asked for the manager, was directed to her voicemail, and left a message. When she hadn't heard back by 4PM, she phoned again,and was told the manager had left for the day. My wife was very annoyed by that time, threatening to call Holiday Inn Express corporate headquarters to lodge a complaint. The desk clerk said she would contact the manager at home and have her call. When the manager called, she said she had tried to phone us, but didn't get any answer. She also didn't know what the $15 charge was for, and said their records showed only three transactions against our card - the one night charge, the half night charge, and the credit of the half night charge. She said she would check on things when she returned to work on Wednesday (Tuesday was a holiday). When my wife checked our credit card charges online the next day, the half-night charge had finally been reversed, and the extra $15.00 charge had mysteriously disappeared.

Bottom line: If you stay at this facility, expect to be underwhelmed, and check your credit card statement very, very carefully!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Des Plaines, Illinois
Reviewed May 14, 2006

OK for one night. Clean. Shower had warm water but definitely not hot and water pressure could have been better, even with adjustable shower head. Adequate variety in breakfast bar. Not many options for in-town dinner before Memorial Day openings.

• Stayed May 2006
Reviewed January 29, 2006

My wife and I had a lovely Saturday night stay in this HIE. The room was clean and comfortable, the jacuzzi worked and breakfast was fine. A perfect affordable, country getaway.

3 Thank capitol
Bridgeport, CT
Reviewed January 16, 2006

Had an accident on a snowy night on I-88 while traveling on business, and the tow-truck driver brought me here. Friendly night attendant checked me in for the night. Room was spotless and spacious, and not very expensive. Wireless internet wasn't advertised but helped get me back on my feet. The continental breakfast was OK, decent enough selection, though it had been well picked over by the time I got there at 9:30. After I explained my situation, Samantha at the front desk let me stay until 2 p.m., and thankfully the car situation was cleared up by then. I would certainly stay here again... hopefully under different circumstances, of course.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank BPTtraveler
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 22, 2004

This is a very nice new hotel with large rooms and large bathrooms. Our room, actually a mini-suite, also had a microwave and refrigerator. The location is very convenient for an overnight stay, located just a block off the Interstate. We stayed here Labor Day and Jennifer on the front desk was very friendly and helpful by giving us a list of restaurants open for Dinner, as many restaurants in the area were closed for the Holiday. A nice feature was the large new shower head with several settings. We definitely would stay here again.

4 Thank like2travel1
Long Island, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2004

This place has gone down hill since I last stayed
about 3 years ago. when I checked in (late august 04) I found a horrible smell in the room and a large air cleaning machine in the room. The desk informed me that the last guest had a pet in the room, therefor the smell and they were attempting to remove the smell. No other rooms were available so I had to keep the room. Then we found a small mut running up and down the hallways. while my kids were trying to get back in our room this dog snuck in. Eventually we got it out but later it returned just to bark outside our door. By this time we had enough and checked out. The girl at the desk said the dog has been living at the hotel for about a year and apparently they are ok with it. Since they now accecpt pets I can only guess that the other rooms also smell like a kennel.

• Stayed August 2004
1 Thank LI2363
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schoharie
Super 8 Cobleskill NY
Hampton Inn Schenectady
Hampton Inn Schenectady
#1 of 14 in Schenectady
DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!