“"The Gold Standard"”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Every week for the past 15 years that my husband and I have been in town, we have been going to the George Mann Tory Tavern in Schoharie. We can wholeheartedly say it is one of the best restaurants we have ever had the pleasure of dining at. My husband and I have traveled all over the world -- to some of the best restaurants (such as the Mansion on Turtle Creek in Dallas, LeMar at The Halekulani in Oahu, Yamashiro in L.A. to name a few) and we inevitably end up comparing our dining experience with that of the Tory Tavern. It is by far "the gold standard", in our opinion, of what a fine dining restaurant should be. The owners of the Tory Tavern have placed their heart and soul into making the Tory Tavern one of the best restaurants anywhere! There are no details that are overlooked -- from the rose shaped butter, to the scrumptious desserts, to the decor. If you have a special request, they try to accommodate that request. Additionally, all of the wait staff and other personnel are extremely friendly and very good at their respective jobs. Everything runs smoothly like a well oiled machine. In addition to the above, you cannot beat the price. At the current time, there is the option of an al la carte or a fixed price menu. The fixed price menu, which includes everything from the appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert and coffee/tea, is only $45.00 per person - which is one of the best values ever - especially considering the quality of the food that one receives and the overall dining experience. We recommend this restaurant highly -- especially if you want one of the best meals ever. We wish we could give it 10 stars!

1  Thank Eag_Schenectady

Reviewed December 25, 2012

The George Mann Tory Tavern is great. The first time I visited this restaurant, I was worried that it might be all decor and costumes, but the food is fantastic. The wait staff is helpful, friendly and efficient and the meals are amazing. I've been there a few times with large groups and no one has had anything negative to say about their meals. The menu changes often but the scallops I had there in November were some of the best I've ever had. Not cheap, but worth the money for sure.

1  Thank Eileen N
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I love the historic atmosphere and the quality of the whole leisurely dining experience. Prices are very reasonable for upscale dining. My husband and I have been returning for years.

The Tory Tavern is a treasure and really only a short drive from Schenectady or Albany. It's takes us longer to drive to Saratoga, so for a special evening, just go.

Dinners only but I wish they had brunch on Sundays.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The George Mann Tory Tavern provides a great dining experience for any special occasion or just a great night out. Reasonable prices, excellent food and service and a stately historic building with great ambiance. It is going to become a regular outing for my wife and I.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

What an interesting, quaint place to dine! A group of four of us went on a Friday night & enjoyed the entire 2 hours. The food, the service...Oh, and I cannot forget the desert. For $45, from the start of the meal to the end...it was GREAT!

1  Thank ksimm1969