“Smelly, RUDE, Worst Continental Breakfast Ever”

Days Inn Schenectady
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Schenectady
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I use Hotwire often, and have always been pleased with what I get. NOT THIS TIME! First, the woman at the desk when we came in informs me that she needs my credit card, and is going to put a hold on for "incidentals". OK, "How much?" I ask her. "$200." "TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS?!? What do you think I am going to do?!" I don't know what sort of "incidentals" this dumpy place could have that would add up to $200. Then she starts to argue with me and 1) tells me it is in case I bring in animals or smoke, and 2) that I was already informed of this in my confirmation when I booked. (WRONG. Went through all of the information on the booking and the confirmation, and nothing told me about $200.)
I have been in many hotels, and I am not picky, nor expect the finest things in life, so I ignored the beat-up hallways and awful smell in the elevator just hoping for a nice clean room to sleep in.
We got into the room and it STANK of cigarette smoke. We debated going to the desk to complain, and were worried we would get blamed for it. We stripped the beds of the comforters and turned the A/C on high with a few squirts of nice perfume and time, it got better. It was snowing outside, so A/C on high all night wasn't ideal for comfortable sleep.
On top of all this, the cleaning staff had left a scrawled note on the back of an envelope asking for tips! Of all the places I have been, from really nice hotels in NYC, to fancy resorts in the Caribbean, to Motel 6, I have NEVER had the cleaning staff panhandle for tips via tacky notes.
Early morning to get back on the road, stopped in for the free "breakfast". It was the most pathetic continental breakfast I have ever seen. There were no pastries, just some white bread for toast. A few pots of yogurt, some gross oatmeal. The entire area looked very run-down and unclean. I dared a cup of coffee to go because I was desperate to wake up a bit after freezing all night. My teenage son, who will eat ANYTHING turned up his nose at all of it.
I do have to give credit to the man working the desk in the morning. He genuinely seemed concerned that everything was OK with our stay. I complained to him about the smoky smell of our room, and he indicated that they have a problem with it coming up from the smoking floor below. I also verified with him that the $200 "incidentals" fee had been released from my credit card. He confirmed that it had, and implied that it had been released hours before. So this irritated me EVEN MORE. If this fee was to ensure that I hadn't smoked or brought animals into the room, how would they know that I hadn't at this point of checkout. (Maybe they snuck in the room while we were sleeping?) The entire thing was so bogus.

SO to sum it up, avoid this place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank whiteflea
navin p, General Manager at Days Inn Schenectady, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

All guests that reserve a room through a 3rd party are required to provide a personal credit card for incidental charges. When booking a reservation through a 3rd party, such as Hotwire, it is clearly stated on the confirmation letter that the guest will be responsible for all incidental charges. We do not charge the personal credit card unless incidental charges are incurred, such as long distance phone calls or pay per view movies. At check-in, we simply check the validity of the credit card.
As far as the continental breakfast, you will no longer find pastries, donuts or muffins here. Instead, we have opted for the healthier fare that includes oatmeal, gluten-free cereals, yogurt, granola, hard boiled eggs and several types of fruits.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I recently stayed in Days In for about two weeks. They just changed the carpets in the hallways and rooms and it looked as more work was on the way. The manager was very kind and helped me move into a room that had both wi-fi and wired Internet connections. The rooms were very quiet throughout my stay. Free breakfast with pancakes, cereals, etc. A shop just across the street is open until 11pm. Moreover, the hotel is very close to the nice downtown Schenectady area and the Amtrak station.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 4, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
navin p, General Manager at Days Inn Schenectady, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Reviewed January 25, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My Dad stayed here for two nights over Thanksgiving 2013. I chose it because we got a good deal booking through Venere, and the location was perfect.

I wanted him to be able to walk to amenities, and there is a Stewart's (like a 7-11 to those not from the Northeast) across from the hotel, and it's only a few blocks from Proctor's theatre, which is in the nicest part of downtown Schenectady.

I booked him a double (two double beds) non-smoking room with coffee maker, ironing board, TV and ensuite shower/bathroom for $135 total for two nights over Thanksgiving weekend.

When we first pulled into the parking lot it was virtually empty except for a bedraggled man smoking a cigarette at the end of the covered entrance. We were worried.

When we checked in we were asked for a credit/debit card that could hold a $200 charge in case of damages to the room. We were worried.

But when we got to the room itself, it seemed large, very well-cleaned, and with some nice touches like packets of shampoo and coffee for the coffee maker. Dad even had a view of the park next door. We had some problems with the lighting at first, but someone from the desk came up and sorted us out in a few minutes.

We were surprised to find a microwave and working mini-fridge in the room. The fridge held no amenities, but it was useful for stashing leftovers that Dad and I gathered in meals out.

Dad was very impressed with the included breakfast, which did not sound fancy or cooked but had unlimited coffee, juice, cereal and so on, enough to stave off a traveler's hunger pangs until lunch.

Due to the price and location, I'd have to recommend this hotel, but don't be freaked out by the shabby exterior.

And don't worry about the $200 potential damage fee charge. They refunded it to my account the moment Dad checked out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park.