“Serviceable hotel for a work trip” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Schenectady

Days Inn Schenectady
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Schenectady
Washington, DC
“Serviceable hotel for a work trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 12 nights. Here are the pros: It was well-located in Schenectady as it was close to the small downtown area, Union College, Vale Park, and Schenectady Museum and Planetarium. The front desk staff was friendly. The breakfast bar had a good number of options and even asked if I wanted creamy or crunchy peanut butter when they ran out one day and they bought my preference that day (though some whole grain bread would have been nice). My bed was fairly comfortable and I was happy my room had good temperature control. I loved that we had a mini-fridge and microwave as I was staying there for so long and often had leftovers and was able to shop at the grocery store and keep some food. The cons: slowest elevator ever, the front desk person didn't put in my Wyndham Rewards number into my reservation, most of the rooms do not have a well-controlled heating system, part of the hotel smells like cigarettes, the one recommendation we got for eating from the front desk was the worst restaurant we ate at, and the area isn't the safest at night. Overall, this was a serviceable hotel that served my needs.

Room Tip: My room, #214, was the best of the 6 rooms our co-workers had. It had a heater with a thermostat so...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rtoblin
navin p, Manager at Days Inn Schenectady, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate all our customers and their comments. We are working hard everyday to make our guests as comfortable as possible. As far as the heaters, they are all being checked and replaced as necessary as part of our on-going rennovation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ferndale, MI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

booked hotel online which indicated pets stay free- upon arrival was told there was a pet fee- cleared pet fee with desk clerk (there would be no fee) got to the room and it was not up to the quality we expect from a Days Inn; stains all over couch, chairs, carpet, bedding and a malodorous smell in room I hesitated sitting and sleeping in room- when checking out the following day we were charged a pet fee- o.k. so we accept that- - - - My husband tried to clear pet fee with customer service and indicated the room was not up to standard- to which the CSR replied, "You don't have to be rude about it". asked to see manager was told he would be in on Sunday- waited to contact manager upon returning home to no avail. called customer service which took 3 calls of being on hold for over 10 minutes finally got cust. serv - intook info and was told I would receive call from manager- still waiting.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Kathy A
This hotel is under new management and customer service was an issue that was addressed as soon as the new owner was on board. We are working harder everyday to improve on that aspect of our business. Our customers our most important to us. The furniture, bedding, etc., is being replaced as part of our on-going rennovation project.

Travelers are raving about these Schenectady hotels

Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

This Days Inn seems to be in need of a renovation. Many of the mechanical featuers, such as the elevator and toilet, sounded as though they were working reluctantly. And in many areas the place did have odd odours and the room itself, while spacious, looked like it was decorated in the 1970s. That being said, it was, overall, an OK stay. Definately nothing flashy or special. No frills - no workout room, pool, etc. Just a place to close your eyes.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
The hotel is in the middle of a complete renovation. All these issues have been addressed. Thanks for the review.
Arkville, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed here to attend a wedding nearby. The property accepted dogs. The room smelled of dog urine and smoke. I don't think the rug was ever cleaned thoroughly. The breakfast nook staff was having breakfast while we were so there was no one to attend to the guests for a while. If ever in this area again, I will not return to this property.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank albiev
We appreciate the feedback. We now have only 3 rooms that we have designated as 'pet friendly' and all the carpeting in the rooms as well as the hallways is being replaced.
haarlem
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

Old stuff, dirty, ugly and much too expensive for what you get. Staff helpfull though. Pay a bit more and go to the Holiday Inn across the street, way better.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Complete renovation in progress. All older furniture is being replaced.
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

So... I work at a hotel and have been with that hotel through 30-year-old rooms to newly renovated rooms (becoming a Holiday Inn Resort) , I know how the hotel business works, I've been through the thick and thin. This hotel was completely disgusting. I was scared to get under the covers. They are in need of a new elevator cab and system, kinda "ehh" & iffy.

As soon as recieving keys to the room after a long day attending a Labor Day wedding ceremony and reception, I checked everywhere. The inside top of the microwave was FILTHY. The inside of the toilet was stained with brown splatters, I do not know if it was human or insect excrements. When pulling back the shower curtain to check the tub and faucet I found a dead baby cockaroach. The carpet was destroyed by the mini refrigerator. I was dead tired, I wanted to go straight to bed so I tucked my pajama pants into my socks and put my hoodie on. I did not move an inch by the time I had woken up the next morning at 7am.

I did not book or pay for the room myself, if I did, I would have stayed at the Holiday Inn across the street. Although we heard from family members who stayed there that all the cars got broken into during the night, and everyone's GPS systems were taken along with any cell phones and wallets left in the cars. Thank goodness they did not take the Wedding Gifts in the back of the car! So I am not sure if the neighborhood is a good one.

The ONLY upside to the VERY SHORT stay was the front desk staff. They were friendly, working the front desk myself, I know how hard it is on them when the rooms are not up to par like they should be. So I definitely noticed that!

Seeing as there have only been two other reviews for the 2010 year, I would probably pay close attention to the few! Again, friendly front desk staff, the only positive about this place! I know it's nice to be appreciated!

The housekeeping staff that cleaned our room did a TERRIBLE job, maybe they should be re-trained, the job market is tough out there, you'd think they would be showing how bad they want their job!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lakai1588
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

If you are looking for a cheap place to stay in Schenectady and are a male traveler then this place is OK, Other than thay .... stay away. Not recommended for families or married couples. I lot of the clientele are obviously welfare recipients who are staged through this hotel until permanent quarters can be arranged. Lots of scary people with their clothes packed in garbage bags. The rooms are OK. The whole building has kind of a funky smell. The wireless internet did not work ... but they did move me to a room with hardwired internet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo