“Their Catering Is The Finest and Done With Pride”

Gershon's Deli & Caterers
Ranked #12 of 291 Restaurants in Schenectady
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Loudonville, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Their Catering Is The Finest and Done With Pride”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Thanks to all at Gershon's for doing a fine job preparing the families favorites, the stuffed whitefish was beautifully done, all the breads were so fresh and real and the kugel was just as I remembered, very tastey. Also, everything else was amazing! The catering/delivery was done with efficiency. They still have my vote for the BEST Jewish Deli around the capital region.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank luvtoeat113

Niskayuna, New York
“An Okay Deli”
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and I went here for lunch today. We beat the crowd and were immediately seated. The seating is very tight. I had to squeeze into my seat because of a table with people already seated. Our table was sticky but a waiter rectified that upon request. We both ordered the soup (Vegetable Beef and Chicken w/Rice). My wife ordered the potato pancakes and I ordered the Reuben. Everything was okay but nothing was above average. I would eat here again but would not go out of my way to do so. A lot of people love this place but I am never sure why they rave about it the way they do.

• Visited February 2011
New Milford, New Jersey
“Not sure about potato pancakes or knish-- but who wants that anyway?”
Reviewed May 24, 2010

What I can say about Gershon's is that it is indeed, the best deli around the area. The sandwiches (bread as well) are MONSTROUS and they carry meats from Oscar's Smokehouse in Warrensburg, which is a nice touch. Their pickled tomatoes, while not my cup of tea, got good reviews from friends. The potato salad was yummy also. The half sours served with the sandwiches are also quite good. Don't forget to take home a Carnegie Deli cheesecake for dessert. Like the other reviewers wrote, if you want knish or potato pancakes, either buy or make them yourself.

Connecticut
“Food was chewy and tasted as if it had been previously frozen.”
Reviewed February 19, 2010

A friend and I ate at Gerson's a little less than a year ago after hearing from my roommate about how authentic and great the food was. Both of us are originally from the NYC metro area and know quality kosher style food. What we were served was almost inedible. We started with matzo ball soup that was chewy and drowning in celery, it almost made me wonder if they were trying to cover up their subpar mazto balls by adding extra vegetables to the broth.

We then shared a knish and potato pancakes. Both items appeared and tasted as if they had been frozen, defrosted, and then frozen again. I highly doubt they were homemade. I could have gotten the same quality from frozen latkes or knish bought at the supermarket. We couldn't even finish the knish because it tasted so strongly of freezer burn. I noticed on the way out a large freezer area that contained boxes labeled with various food items from the menu. I suspect this is where the problem resulted from.

Overall, the service was friendly and the interior was quaint. They also have quite a large selection of Halvah treats, the best I've seen in the Capital area. I would have liked to try the deli meats however after this past experience, I have no desire to return. This may be the best deli around, however I disagree with calling it "authentic."

1 Thank jls88
Albany, NY
“Good Deli”
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Gershon's has been getting criticism lately compared to Ricciardi's across the street. But they are two different types of lunch establishments. Gershon's is good Jewish Deli food, not the best I've ever had, but the best to be had in Schenectady. BY FAR. Ricciard's is Italian Deli.

Fresh, carved turkey, fantastic Reubens, yummy pickles, good Jewish Rye. Gershon's does wonderful deli trays, consistently reliable and well-done. The restaurant is always clean. Nice expansion and update recently. I never hesitate to grab lunch here.