“The best Hampton Inn we've stayed at”

Hampton Inn Schenectady
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Schenectady
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The comfort and cleanliness of the hotel, in addition to the excellent staff, made this the best Hampton Inn we've ever stayed in. In addition, even though the hotel is downtown, the rooms are incredibly quiet. This will always be our hotel of choice when visiting Schenectady.

3  Thank Lauren S

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Frankly, I wasn't expecting anything more than bare-bones accommodations, but I was in for a delightful surprise.

The Hampton Inn, Schenectady, is located right in the middle of town and has a large parking lot for guests, making it extremely convenient. It is a new hotel, so it is very clean and attractive. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance.

We were greeted by friendly desk staff and check-in was easy. The biggest surprise was the lovely room itself. Spacious, bright, nicely decorated and very, very clean. I happen to detest those dreadful dark, printed bedspreads found in so many of the less expensive hotels, so I was thrilled to see fresh, clean white duvet covers on the two queen-size beds. (While fresh bed linens were available every day, I simply made my bed and told the maid I only needed fresh towels.)

The bathroom was, likewise, spacious and clean. Even the shower curtain was very fresh and clean (not a hint of mildew). The towels were thick, and the sink counter had lots of space to accommodate the toiletries of two people. Excellent lighting and a large mirror. A little coffee-maker was there, too, although we never used it.

We requested a small refrigerator be placed in our room, which they promptly did.

So, you've gotten the message that this hotel is new, clean, spacious, and we were very happy there. Now let me tell you about the free breakfast.

Usually, free breakfasts are fairly grim. Not at this Hampton Inn. It is served in a large, high-ceilinged, bright, well-appointed room. The chairs are upholstered (no stiff plastic chairs), and the room has a spacious, gracious feel to it.

The coffee/tea area offers a lovely selection of hot beverages, and the regular coffee was hot and very good. The juice/fruit area had a variety of juices (orange and cranberry...probably apple, too), as well as fresh chopped fruit mix and a bowl of whole apples and bananas. (Side note: I am usually a stickler for drinking only bottled water, but Schenectady water is really, really good.)

They had hot oatmeal (somedays a little too congealed for my taste), hot eggs (sometimes scrambled, sometimes an omelet) and breakfast sausage or bacon. You could make your own waffle, too, although I never did. There were little boxes of various cold cereals, peeled hard-boiled eggs, and a large assortment of pastries.

There was always an attendant in the room making sure tables were clean and the serving areas were well supplied and tidy. We enjoyed our breakfasts there very much.

Apparently, the Hampton Inn has the tradition of serving fresh, warm chocolate chip cookies late in the day. In this particular hotel, they were served around 7pm. I am not much of a chocolate chip cookie fan, but these were delicious, and it was such a pleasant way to end the day (actually, we'd take them up to our room for consumption later in the evening).

The entire staff...at the front desk, in the breakfast room, as well as the maids...were all very helpful and pleasant.

There is an indoor pool and hot tub, although we never used it.

One word of warning: it is difficult to see the hotel's driveway entrance, and you can only enter from one side of the street (you cannot make a left-turn into it). Otherwise, everything is a breeze and a delight. One of the nicest hotel stays I've had in a very, very long time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sai I
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The property is on the average side of the Hamptons. But its location, downtown and next to the Proctor, is its most attractive feature. The rooms are clean, no special features. The morning breakfast features both hot and cold items. I think the hot items are packaged and heat as needed variety. Main entry gate to parking lot left open the whole time we were there, only the side street gate required key card swipe for entry.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at this Hampton , right on the main strip by little shops and small restaurants. a CVS a few doors down. The hotel is clean and quiet. My only down was the parking. They do have a small lot but you better not leave and come back late because you will park in a different lot down the street. We came down to go to SPAC and the trip was really quick maybe 20 minutes at the most! Thank you for everything Keep up the great work!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Once again we ended our summer vacation with a stay at the Hampton Inn Schenectady. After a long day driving it is always a pleasure to end the day there. The staff are top notch and the premises are clean and modern. The breakfast buffet is second to none and maintained well. This year I forgot some clothing and the staff went over and beyond to make sure my belongings were sent to me north of the border. Special thanks to AGM Arti S. and front desk staff Ryan for helping me out with this situation. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending a stay at the Hampton Inn in Schenectady. We ate at Van Dykes in the Stockade District which is also worth a visit.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

All was well except I wish they would provide a light blanket. Who could sleep with that heavy duvet in the summer? In Hampton's defense, it seems every hotel does the same so maybe I'm the only one who doesn't like to sleep with just the sheet. Otherwise the hotel was fine with a decent breakfast, nice hot tub and workout room. I think $200/night is a little pricey for the location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Even with construction going on next to hotel it was very clean. The staff is very friendly from the front desk to the housekeeping staff. Any questions about the area they were very knowledgeable and able to get you directions to where you needed to go. Weather it was to your work site, dinner, or a local entertainment place. The staff did everything they could to make my stay enjoyable and entertaining.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business