“My favorite place to eat in Schenectady” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Stockade Inn

The Stockade Inn
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Schenectady
Ballston Spa, New York
“My favorite place to eat in Schenectady”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had dinner at the Stockade after a seeing the Thursday afternoon play at Proctor's. It was Valentine's Day but we were early. We had an excellent meal and excellent service. I enjoyed the French Onion soup. My companions ordered the Antipasto which was delicious also.
I had the free range Chicken for dinner which was excellent, topped with pesto and mozzarella
cheese. My companions had veal and the Sea Bass which they both thought were very good. The portion size was very good on everything, with enough left over to bring home. Service was excellent. The ambiance is cozy and there is a fire place.
There are 3 areas to eat. I like the main dining room and the lounge area is very nice, but I wouldn't want to eat in the over flow dining room, as it seems rather cold looking and not as cozy as the other two rooms.
I highly recommend the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Voorheesville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had a gift certificate & went to dinner on a Sat. I was glad that we had a reservation. By the time we left most tables were filled. There was a wedding reception that night as well. I had scallops and my meal was mouth watering. The salad was good, service, atmosphere-all exceptional. So glad we went.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Canandaigua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I heard about this inn from a friend and ended up staying here on business the following week. It's in a historic building, in a historic district. The rooms was spacious, every thing I wanted and a heck of a lot better than the chains. The ceilings are 10' high, my room had a chandelier and a nice view overlooking the street. There's even a billiard room here. My only issue was that the restaurant wasn't opened Sunday or Monday (at least during winter), but that was okay. Oh, there is a bar and that was open. I took the opportunity to try out a restaurant in the Italian district, very nice. The price was $100 per night and while it might have been a higher than a Red Roof, it was worth the minor extra for comfort and experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jazzie F
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in the Stockade Inn and found the room to be adequate. The room was clean, the hallway quiet, and the wifi worked. The food was excellent. The Inn is conveinently located accross the river from Schenectady.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pittsford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Coming from over 2 hours away,we were looking for a place to spend the night after seeing a show at the Proctors Theater in order to avoid the late drive home. This one ranked tops on tripadvisor and did not disappoint. It perfectly met our need.
It is a historic building, recently renovated into an inn (2003, I believe) primarily serving as a popular restaurant (we would also recommend- we had Thanksgiving dinner there) with the guest rooms upstairs.
As another reviewer commented, the reception area was a small space to one side of the stairs.

We spent an hour pre-theater in the lounge having a very nice (and reasonably priced) cocktail and listening to an entertaining trio. We walked to the theater (10-15 minutes) and at no time felt concerned about our safety. Many people were out walking about.
In the morning we had a very enjoyable walk to the river and around the historic Stockade district.
Breakfast was very basic... yogurt, cereal, packaged pastries. But as I mentioned, we were planning to have our Thanksgiving dinner there at noon and were not interested in much that morning.
If there was one thing in particular that was a bit disappointing to us, it was that the lounge and entertainment closed down between 10 and 11, so we did not enjoy any post theater outing. The Inn itself was locked at the point we returned (about 11pm) and we buzzed to be let in. We were aware of this in advance however.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PittsfordMonie
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Charming, quirky hotel with lots of winding hallways and old-fashioned charm. We didn't have an advanced reservation but they were able to get us quickly settled in a nice room and offered us a break on the rack rate without needing to ask! The walls are a little thin, however - our neighbor was rather ill after spending too much time at the bar and we could hear his unfortunate stomach pangs quite clearly... not the hotel's fault, but if you're a light sleeper, perhaps ask for a room that's a bit more remote from the other guests! The nearby historic streets made for a lovely pre-dinner walk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Yokneam, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

the good - reception was good and helpfull, the room was spacious enough, it is not a suite just a hotel room.
It was very clean, comfortable beds, cosy bar with internet access (important right?)
Nice bathroom,
The hotel had a restaurant and If I were traveling with my wife would have definitely eaten there.
the not so good - it is an old hotel which was not fully turned into a modern hotel.
There is no reception desk, they sit under the stairs (really!).
Breakfast area is located in the same place where dinner is served which is essentially a bar.
No elevator so we had to carry our heavy suitcases up the narrow stairs.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schenectady
DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady
Quality Inn Schenectady
#7 of 13 in Schenectady
3.5 of 5 stars 26 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport

Been to The Stockade Inn? Share your experiences!