“Very Nice”
Review of The Stockade Inn

The Stockade Inn
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Schenectady
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Stayed here on Friday night, 10/21 as I was going to do some genealogy research at the Historical Society Library on Saturday. When we arrived the bar area was quiet active and moderately loud. The gentleman that checked my husband and I in, told us that it was jazz night but assured us we would not be disturbed. I was quite concerned as our room was just up the stairs from the bar. Well, surprisingly he was right! we were not distrubed by the music or the crowd. The room was large, two queen beds, and a very nice size bathroom.The continental breakfast in the morning was simple, cold cereal, yogurts, fruit, granola bars, and assortment of muffins, bagels and sweet rolls.
We ate dinner in the restaurant, which had great reviews. Sadly this was a disappointment. Had one of the 5 for $15 specials, the chicken marsala. Unfortunately my chicken was not cooked so I had to send it back. The waitress was polite apologized profusely and took my dish back. It took sometime before a fresh dish was brought out but at least the chicken was cook thoroughly. When she returned with the new dish she said that we would be given a free dessert...despite all the gracious gestures the meal was just average. I don't feel my experience matched my expectations.
The Inn is in the historical section of Schenectady and was in walking distance to the Historical Society library. It was perfect for us and I would stay there again

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jlouise254

Reviewed October 3, 2011

We have family in the area and want a separate place to stay and rest when we visit from out of town. We've stayed at The Stockade Inn twice, and both times have been positive overall. It's location is convenient to the rest of the city while also being in a nice area along the Mohawk River. Parking is very convenient. If you are not there for a special event, I think the service is probably less attentive (I had to grab my own bottle of water from the bar one evening) but that's fine for us. The Inn itself has a lovely historic atmosphere and the room was spacious for 2, quiet and comfortable, with a large bathroom. Agree with other reviewers that the water pressure in the shower can be low, but it was certainly adequate. We have not eaten there, but hear very good things about the food from the locals.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marob11
Reviewed September 5, 2011

One year ago on September 4, my husband and I were married at the Stockade Inn. We decided to go back and spend the night of our Anniversary there since it was such a beautiful occasion. We booked the same room and when we showed up the girl at the front told us she had something for us. Much to our surprise, the Inn's manager recognized our names on the reservation list and gave us a bottle of champagne with a hearty "Happy Anniversary!" Now what chain hotel would do that!

Once again, the charm, hospitality and gracious service of the Stockade Inn have impressed my husband and I. Do yourself a favor and look no further for any event or overnight stay. The Stockade Inn is the REAL deal. Much thanks to Jeff and his staff for making our first anniversary a memorable one.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CrowsFeat
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My positive impression of the Stockade Inn began months before I actually stayed there. Due to work and schedule complications, I probably called to change my reservations no less than six times. It actually got to be embarassing after while, but each time the person who answered the phone joked with me and handled the changes easily.

As I arrived at the Inn, a small jazz band was also arriving to set up to play in the small lounge. I wondered how this would work in such a small room, I was afraid that it would be way too loud and intrusive but no need to worry - the group obviously knew the room and played at a volume that was absolultely perfect.

Entering the front door, I was immediately struck by the beautiful old style elegance of the entry way and immediate spaces. Lots of dark old wood, and plush couches in that lounge/sitting room area. Really, it is a grand old home rather than a "hotel".

I was greeted warmly and given an actual KEY to my room. (When's the last time you got an actual key and not a piece of plastic??) And i was thrilled to find that there was a small elevator to the sleeping rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors since my suitcase was pretty heavy. (The elevator is a piece of history itself - one of those old scissor gate deals that looks to be about as old as the house itself. Very cool!!)

There is a small bar off the front sitting room and i noticed that the bar's surface was actually hammered copper. The seating area in the bar is full of low, comfortable "club chairs" - probably a nod to the building's history as an exclusive men's club.

My sleeping room was absolutely darling! I had one of the smaller rooms (no need for a suite or anything like that, i was just sleeping there while attending a conference) and it truly felt like sleeping in my grandmother's guest room - if my grandmother's guest room had air conditioning, a TV and a private bathroom, that is"!). The bed spread was not one of those generic hotel types - it had the look and feel of a family heirloom. The bed was amazingly comfortable. And the air conditioner was very quiet and effective - a definite plus during the recent heat wave that rolled through our area!

The continental breakfast each morning was a definite plus. Fruit, yougurt, bagels, cereal. breakfast bars, pastry, juices and coffee.

I explored the rest of the house and found medium and large banquet rooms and of course that amazing billiard room. All were definitely servicable as occassion rooms but did not have that institutional feel that you find in your basic Holiday Inn banquet room.

The only negative i would have to mention is the shower in my room. The pressure was pretty low and it was a bit difficult to adjust the temperature. Had i been staying there any longer i probably would have asked if there was something they could do. But really, it was perfectily servicable for what i needed.

I ate one meal in the dining room with a friend from the conference and we were both impressed with our meals. The menu is not huge, but the selections are diverse and everything looked tempting. The service was a bit "liesurely" given the fact that there were few tables filled on a Thursday night. But we were not in a hurry and i am sure if we'd requested it the pace would have been sped up. As it was, we were really more there to talk and catch up than rushing through a meal. So it was a fine pace for our needs. Others attending the same conference ate at the Stockade Inn on various occassions and everyone had great things to say about the food.

I am planning a conference in Schenectady in 2013 and am disappointed that this wonderful old house only has 35 rooms. We need many more than that. I will certainly recommend this as an alternate to our host hotel and hope that a few of our attendees are able to enjoy the ambiance and charm of the Stockade Inn!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank KarenGeneva
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Our stay at the Stockade Inn was perfect...From the warm welcome (we arrived after 11 PM), the historic majesty of the building and a flawless wedding experience to a delicious Sunday Brunch, our experience was great ! Everyone at the Stockade Inn was very helpful and knowledgeable and above all, treated us very well. Our room was nicely decorated in a period style, was clean and comfortable...What more could you ask for ?
Even though it was a multi-wedding weekend, we felt as if the one we attended was the only one !

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kalola02
Reviewed October 29, 2010

My wife and I recently had the great pleasure and honor of attending both a wedding ceremony and reception at the beautiful Stockade Inn - and can honestly say that it was one of the most beautiful wedding events we can ever remember attending...

The Inn itself is gorgeous and can best be described as 400 years of history, wrapped in a bow of celebration. In a world filled with pre-fabrication - the old world feel and detail of the Inn is refreshing to say the least...

The Ceremony itself was beautifully decorated - and the food and drink that followed was well worth the wait.... the buffet alone would have satisfied the pallets of all invited guests...but then I would've missed out on one fo the most brilliantly cooked pieces of meat I've ever had the pleasure of eating...

And the staff was fantastic... courteous, attentive and accomodating... especially to my 11 year old who applauded when a personal pizza was delivered to the table fresh from the oven.

And as you might expect from a building steeped in history, the bartender not only
poured you the drinks, but also entertained you with tall tales and a joke or two.

The entertainment and wedding cupcakes accented the event perfectly - maing for a perfect evening...

If you're looking to throw a special event - or need a romantic night out with a loved one... then the Stockade Inn is the palce for you.

Christopher Conto

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chrisconto
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I recently attended a formal event at the Stockade Inn and was very impressed with the entire experience. The Stockade is a beautiful neighborhood located on the Mohawk River in Schenectady that is full of 100-200 year old houses. Being the owner of a 100 year old home I was immediately impressed with the elegant look of the building. There were so much detail to the building that you just don't see in modern structures. You truly felt as though you'd stepped back in time. The event itself was perfect. The entire wait staff was friendly and very atttentive during our visit. The food was delicious from appetizers to dessert. with a selection that could please just about anyone. The room we stayed in fit in perfectly with the rest of the building, the details of old with the comforts of today. I would definitely reccomend to friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple