“Lovely room, helpful and gracious innkeeper, comfortable bed, delicious breakfast”

English Garden Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Schenectady B&B and Inns
Verona, New Jersey
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed at the English Garden Bed and Breakfast for one night while visiting family in the Stockade section of Schenectady. The innkeeper, Virginia, welcomed me warmly when I arrived and showed me to my room. The only thing about my room is that I was told, when I reserved, that I would be in the Martha Room. I was checked into the Ellice Room -- a room on the lower level at the front of the house, which does not have a bathroom within the room. Guests staying in the Ellice Room need to walk down the hall to use the bathroom on the lower level. Be sure to confirm that you want a private bath and re-confirm when you are checking in. It was fine overall -- I was the only person using the bathroom and I was staying only one night.

The room had a TV and plenty of light for reading. The bed was comfortable with blankets, pillows and quilts a-plenty.

Breakfast was delicious! Virginia asked ahead of time if I had any food preferences or limitations, so I felt well cared for. She served an au gratin egg dish with fresh melon, juice and coffee. Very satisfying and more than I could finish!

Books and local tourist brochures abound if you arrive wishing for something to read.

Highly recommend that you make reservations well in advance, especially around holidays or local events.

Beautiful B&B -- I do recommend that you give it a try!

Room Tip: Ellice Room is on the first floor, front of house just as you enter the front door. I would not reco...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Renee C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Alaska
Reviewed October 28, 2011

The Hostess is just great. She is there to help. I had a front second floor room. The bed was quite marvelous. Then because I changed my plans I moved downstairs for one night. My knees were quite thankful for the change even though I had to share a bathroom! The building is an old one but very clean. There is always ample hot water for showers. And there is a refrigerator with cold water for guest use.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank knittinggrandma
Rochester, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2011

This big beautiful brick row-house was built around the turn of the 1800's, but still has all of the style and grace it was born with. My room was HUGE and well furnished. The bed was so comfy I just didn't want to get up in the morning. I walked to Union College to see my son. Several restaurants within walking distance.

A nice breakfast and big carafe of coffe was waiting for me even though I came down 15 minutes early. For the price? Cannot be beat.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Trish375
Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Our rooms were very large and equipped with TV, WIFI, and a sitting area. Interesting artwork. Linens were silky soft. Bed was comfortable. Good in town location. Old but clean.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank happytrails91
Basildon
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The rooms were clean and tidy. We had Suite which had a bathroom dividing the 2 rooms. One room had settee and armchair for sitting in which were comfortable but the adjoining room only had the one seat. The downside to this accommodation was the fact that there was no tea or coffee making facilities. There was a microwave on the landing and bottled water was provided and kept in a fridge. Breakfast was sufficient but a little on the sweet side for our 'english' taste.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Britsabroad2013
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 22, 2010

We decided to take a break from chain hotels and stay at a B & B as we visit colleges. Glad we did! Virginia was very welcoming and accommodating. What a great location for restaurants and visiting Union College. Our room was spacious and comfortable. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MRKennedy28
New York
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Kudos all the around and after my experience here, would never stay anywhere else when traveling to Schenectady or the surrounding area. They had all the amenities I could ask for to both work & relax including free wireless Internet. Bravo!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business