“great take on cheesesteak”

Morrette's King Steak House
Ranked #79 of 300 Restaurants in Schenectady
Cuisines: American, Deli, Steakhouse
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Morette's is the kind of place you just can't make anymore. It has been in Schenectady for decades and looks it, but the cheese steak sandwich is wonderful, and a great price. The sandwich is fresh rib-eye sliced thin. The roll is fresh and marinara sauce is a nice change over velveta.

The place is nothing fancy, but the service is prompt and good. The sandwiches are huge. Don't expect fills, there are none.

2  Thank jlessuck

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just amazing that you can find local eatery that is consistently good through the years. I left the area over 30 years ago and come back to visit family every few years and this place is as good as it was in my youth! Still looks the same and the steak sandwich is better than anything I've had in Philly. "Great value and taste"!

1  Thank Chas G
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I grew up outside Schenectady but my family rarely ate out so I only went there once before about 10 years ago. I live in Connecticut now but we were in town for a family reunion and decided to stop in after having seen the place on the food network. The decor looks like it is right out of the 50s (and I don't mean the prettified Happy Days 50s). It has a real working man's feel. The food is substantial and very good. My son and I split a steak sandwich and onion rings and that was plenty for both of us. They will serve pasta sauce with the sandwich but I prefer ketchup. My wife ordered a tuna melt. I tasted it and it was way way too salty. So I would say stick with the steak.
I gave it an excellent for food. It is not excellent the way a fine french restaurant is excellent but for a steak sandwich, it is hard to beat.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Folks were talking steak sandwiches here, not fila mignon steak. So yes it can and does get 5 Stars. It's the closest thing to a Lanzi's of Amsterdam NY steak sandwich I've had in 20+ years!

Big - Tasty - Inexpensive - Big and did I mention Tasty!

You aren't going to purchase this sandwich to eat and drive, unless someone else is doing the driving.

The only thing that sucks, is it's a 5+ hour drive from my home to them, or I WOULD be there more often.

The fries while hand-cut are to small for me liking, but then again, I was there for the sandwich not the fries.

It's an old, bright and a friendly staff make it a great place for lunch.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Morrette's is NOT fine dining. But it IS one of those must visit places. I have to say that they offer one of the absolute best steak sandwiches that I've ever had...anywhere. I simply haven't been able to bring myself to order anything but.

The king steak sandwich smothered with grilled peppers, onions and sauce is just awesome. Throw in an order of bacon cheese fries and it's over-the-top. (My heart just screamed a bit.)

I personally love the atmosphere. Old school diner in desperate need of an update. But if it were updated everyone would complain that it lost its old school charm. Yes, it's greasy. Yes, everything probably has ten times more calories and fat than anyone should eat. But that will not keep me away.

As long as Morrette's is in business, I'll keep ordering the same thing and loving it.