“Outstanding!”

Ranked #164 of 293 Restaurants in Schenectady
Auburn, Maine
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Folks were talking steak sandwiches here, not fila mignon steak. So yes it can and does get 5 Stars. It's the closest thing to a Lanzi's of Amsterdam NY steak sandwich I've had in 20+ years!

Big - Tasty - Inexpensive - Big and did I mention Tasty!

You aren't going to purchase this sandwich to eat and drive, unless someone else is doing the driving.

The only thing that sucks, is it's a 5+ hour drive from my home to them, or I WOULD be there more often.

The fries while hand-cut are to small for me liking, but then again, I was there for the sandwich not the fries.

It's an old, bright and a friendly staff make it a great place for lunch.

• Visited May 2013

Rexford, New York
“One of my favorite lunches!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Morrette's is NOT fine dining. But it IS one of those must visit places. I have to say that they offer one of the absolute best steak sandwiches that I've ever had...anywhere. I simply haven't been able to bring myself to order anything but.

The king steak sandwich smothered with grilled peppers, onions and sauce is just awesome. Throw in an order of bacon cheese fries and it's over-the-top. (My heart just screamed a bit.)

I personally love the atmosphere. Old school diner in desperate need of an update. But if it were updated everyone would complain that it lost its old school charm. Yes, it's greasy. Yes, everything probably has ten times more calories and fat than anyone should eat. But that will not keep me away.

As long as Morrette's is in business, I'll keep ordering the same thing and loving it.

• Visited May 2013
Ballston Lake, New York
“Local Favorite, Nothing Fancy”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband took me to this place for dinner along with my daughter.

They have a few selections on their menu besides the steak sandwiches, which they are famous for. The food are freshly made, simple, tasty & the portions are big. I had their sample plate & was very satisfied with my order. It has 2 meatballs, 2 flat sausages, shaved steaks, cooked onions (which I ordered extra), topped with their sauce & rolls on the side. I also ordered soda which has free refill. The service is excellent & the staff are friendly.

I am guessing that the room decorations & furniture are the original. The place is clean & simple, nothing fancy.

If you want something local, then this is for you.

• Visited April 2013
Key West, Florida
“Meatballs good too...”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Nice quiet place portions are big and priced right. If u leave hungry it wouldn't be their fault. If you're a light eater share with someone or you'll be walking out with to go boxes.

2 Thank Diamond3650
Charlotte, North Carolina
“The Best Steak Sandwich in the USA”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I've been eating Morrette's steak sandwiches since 1950, from when I was going to college in Schnectady. As alll of my five children grew up they were each introduced to the King Steak. I remember Mr. Morrette sitting ehind the bar, and Pat working at the grill. I live in North Carolina now, and my children have arranged to ship the steak, sauce and rolls to me.
I have just taken my youngest child to college in Rochester, and am planning my stop on Eire Blvd, Schnectady.

• Visited September 2011