“Authentic Italian”

Cornells in Little Italy
Reserve with OpenTable
Cornells in Little Italy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 300 Restaurants in Schenectady
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Union Street
Description: "Timeless Classic Italian Food" interspersed with "New World" Italian Regional Cuisine. Analogy~Sophia Loren & Frank Sinatra meet Lidia Bastanich & Mario Batali. Since 1943,generations of loyal patrons, friends and their families have enjoyed the traditional dishes of Cornells Restaurant. The robust aroma of food cooking on the stove would draw them in to sit down and enjoy old world Italian food. Today this tradition continues. Modeled after the simple restaurants in Italy,this neighborhood establishment is warm, inviting, comfortable and unpretentious.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

If I could give Cornell's more then a 5 star rating, I would. We had a wonderful dinner there last night. My husband and I shared an appetizer of Calamari in Marinara Sauce. It was a generous portion of calamari (not fried) in a very subtle marinara sauce which had been baked. It was amazing and could have been dinner with a salad. For the entree, we both chose the Veal Francias. The veal was nicely cooked with an extremely flavorful sauce. As a side, I had the homemade cavatelli which was very rich with a lovely marinara sauce. It is $3 extra, but well worth it. My husband had the penne with marinara which was very good, but side-by-side the cavatelli wins. We did not sample any of the desserts, but I'm sure they would have all been equally as good. The owner and the wait staff is always very welcoming and friendly. Joann, the owner of Cornell's, always welcomes you and checks back to make sure everything is to your satisfaction. We had a very good and attentive waitress, Liz, last night. Overall, we had a very enjoyable, relaxed evening and always bring friends there to sample the best of the best in Italian restaurants. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had dinner with 2 friends at Cornell`s last night.
I was sadly disappointed. I ordered side-dishes of oven roasted potatoes and SAUTEED spinach.i should have asked more questions! The potatoes were cold and tasteless and the spinach was FROZEN CHOPPED SPINACH and it never saw a saute pan. Simply warmed through.
One of my dinner friends also ordered these sides and was also surprised that a restaurant of Cornell`s reputation served such poor quality food. The waitress was sweet and insisted that we all share a dessert to make up for the disappointing meal. It didn`t.
I won`t be dining at Cornell`s restaurant again.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

They have been in Schenectady for decades, at this location maybe 10 or 15 years. Very, very good food, and a well trained waitstaff. You will feel fussed over and important, and you will enjoy your meal.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I walked in a stranger and walked out on a first name basis. This place is a treasure. The Zuppe di Pesci (pardon my spelling) was great! This place is a treasure. I go back as often as I can.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

What a pretty space and what a nice staff! The Saturday after Thanksgiving, the "Banguet Room"
was the only place we could get a 6:00 reservation - fine. Two big parties already seated but the
noise level was NOT bad. Our party of four ordered drinks and perused the enticing and appetite
producing menu. Hard decisions IF you enjoy Italian (Southern) cuisine. The artichoke heart
appetizer caught two of us - the Italian bean soup another. All entrees come with house salad
and choice of dressings - plus choice of pasta or potato and vegetable.

Here's the issue we had. And we all ordinarily LIKE garlic - used sparingly. Cornell must own a
garlic farm. Blue Cheese dressing with garlic stronger than the cheese? Inedible soup. The
artichoke appetizer was the best thing we were served - and it's sauce was Korean more than
Italian. A few days later and we are still wondering: is someone afraid of TWILIGHT in Schenectady?