“Clean and quiet, but light on the amenities as expected from the low room rate.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Stardust Motor Inn

Stardust Motor Inn
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Schenectady
Rome, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

My husband and I chose this hotel on a business trip to save our organization a little money (we work for a small nonprofit). Our conference was in Schenectady, and the motel was easy to get to from the highway, only about a 8-minute drive. We stayed two nights. The hotel was built in the 1960s, and still had much of its vintage signage with little exterior updating.

The rates were very reasonable, but as expected the amenities were not substantial. The motel provided soap, clean towels, and washcloths, but little else. I was hoping for an iron, and my husband found he had forgotten his razor, but we made other arrangements and it worked out fine. The shower left a little to be desired, as the water pressure was nil, but we dealt with it. Our room key didn't work the first time, but the front desk clerk came out to our room to let us in himself and the problem was fixed by the time we left for the evening and returned. Also, our phone was not working, which didn't really bother us as we used our cell phones and the front desk was only a short walk away. The only real issue I had is that the bedspread smelled just slightly like smoke (we were in a non-smoking room) and vaguely of not being laundered. Fortunately, the sheets underneath were clean, so I avoided the bedspread as much as possible. You may also want to bring additional pillows, as we only had 3 for our king-sized bed.

That said, the staff that we dealt with were friendly, and our room was clean. They did offer coffee and danishes/honey buns for light continental fare in the morning, but be sure to get there early for the best selection :}, as I think that many of the guests were construction workers and get an early start. The wireless internet works best when near a window, but it does work. And it was pretty quiet, despite being right off the highway. On the whole, a reasonable room for a reasonable rate.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Western MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2009

I almost passed on this place because of the reviews. But, The weekend was going to be expensive enough already, I figured why not? I haven't stayed in a dive in a long time. I was pleasantly surprised!! Comfortable bed and a clean room. Easy to get on and off I-90 and I-890. Bring your own shampoo, soap and conditioner. You may need to remind them that a king is the really, big bed. But, like I said, whataya want for $50?

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Schenectady NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

I conduct my consulting business from here and host business associates as guests regularly. My guests have never complained..
The place is clean: I daily watch the proficient housekeeping staff scour vacated rooms.
So I say again: NICE PLACE, NICE PRICE!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
long island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

This is a very run down motel. It is a motel for transients or welfare residents, as we witnessed. We ate the charge of $134.00 rather than stay there. We drove 4 hours home instead.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank dc1228

Travelers are raving about these Schenectady hotels

blahblah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

Probally the best priced in the area. Not spic and span clean but certainly not dirty. Has chairs to sit on porch but no pool. Housekeeping staff very nice but seem to be bothered by ungrateful new owners. If you want luxary not the place to go, however if you want something centrally located, inexpensive and comfortable is a good choice.

Stayed July 2007
Detroit
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

I have never bothered to rate a hotel before. I came online just to do it so nobody ever has to go through what we went through. Our room was so filthy, there was not even a square inch of something clean. I had to clean the sink, tub, and toilet before being able to step foot in the room. We had to wear flip flops at all times in the room, since the rug was sticky. I brought in our sleeping bags and pillows from our road trip to sleep, since everything was so dirty.

I am a camper. So, I don't mind sleeping in a tent on the ground and using shared bathing facilities. I'm not that picky. But, this was absolutely terrible. When I went to open the shower curtain, my hand was covered with slime from the reverse side. Yuck.

It was too late at night to make arrangements elsewhere. I would have slept in my car, but I didn't know how safe it would have been (given the way that the hotel presented itself).

We hope that our pleas to the management improve the condition for others in the future. In the meanwhile, I hope this helps you better make your travel arrangements.

• Disliked — It was filthy
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TravelFamilyDetroit
connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

I have stayed at the Stardust many times from 2006 though 2008 and found the proprietors to be very friendly and helpful. The rooms were always very clean and the hotel staff very accommodating. It was quiet, especially since I like to get to bed early. Great cable TV and high speed wireless internet access is available as well!

I fully recommend this hotel for visitors, with families, couples or singles, for a stay at the motel.

• Liked — friendliness and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schenectady
Mallozzi's Belvedere Inn
#9 of 14 in Schenectady
DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady
Hampton Inn Albany-Western Ave/University Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown

Been to Stardust Motor Inn? Share your experiences!