New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Horrible Stay!!! Stay at the Howard Johnson's accross the street!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn Saugerties

Comfort Inn Saugerties
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
crazielcutie
“Horrible Stay!!! Stay at the Howard Johnson's accross the street!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed at the Comfort Inn this past weekend. Upon booking, I was not informed that any construction would be going on-instead, I was left to find out upon arrival. The whole parking lot was filled with trucks/construction debris. I walked through sheet-rock dust and concrete floors covered in glue to the front desk. Upon check-in, they attempted to put me on the 1st floor of the hotel where the majority of the construction was taking place. I kindly asked to be moved to the 2nd floor and after an attitude from the man at the front desk, he finally switched me. I lugged my suitcases up the flight of stairs and got settled in my room. After leaving and coming back that evening, I noticed that the side doors of the hotel were left wide open. The key card entry access was disabled, allowing anyone to enter the hotel. This left me feeling extremely uneasy about my personal safety. Overall - paying over $300 for a hotel stay that was unsafe and under construction is absolutely ridiculous!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank crazielcutie
hiphaz7, General Manager at Comfort Inn Saugerties, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
I am truly sorry that you were upset with our renovations that were in process improve our hotel.
We clearly advertised on our web page that we were doing renovations.
I guess you didn't notice it. Please come back and stay with us on your next
visit to the area. You will find a completely brand new hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Woodmere, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

After reading some of the reviews on this inn, I was a little concerned about staying there, although the more recent reviews seem to have gotten better.

We had nice clean room with two queen beds and flat screen TV. We were very satisfied with the cleanliness of the room. No significant smells. Bathroom was fine. Reasonably up to date and clean. Everything worked. It was everything I would have expected from a motel of this type and much better than what I had read in some reviews. Forgot my toothbrush and they gave one to me.

There is construction and renovation going on. It did not impact us. You may want to ask for a room away from the renovation to be on the safe side. All rooms are non-smoking.

Negatives? Fan in the bathroom was noisy and in need of replacement. Water could be heard running through pipes in the walls.

Breakfast - I would describe it as adequate. Certainly nothing I would look forward to. Coffee was always available and was fine. Choice of cream, milk or 2%. Take-out cups. Eggs were pre-cooked round things. Blah but edible. OJ tasted funny. Waffles were fine (you make them yourself, so they were fresher than everything else). I had enough that I can say breakfast was OK but nothing to write home about.

Overall, the experience was as expected in this price range and category of motel. Given the descriptions of nearby motels, such as Howard Johnson's next door, I had very low expectations and was almost inclined to give it 4 stars. But when all is said and done, it was a perfectly average stay (which is as it should be).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hiphaz7, General Manager at Comfort Inn Saugerties, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our Hotel.
We are all so pleased that we met your expectations and delivered
an overall good stay. Please tell your friends and come stay with us any
time you visit Saugerties,NY. Again...Many Thanks!
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

We never got a chance to stay in this hotel, but I will tell you they have a lousy cancellation policy. We had booked a room because we thought we might need to leave early for our ski trip to Vermont because there was a possibility of snow in our area. But the weather forecast changed and we didn't need to leave early. I called the day of our reservation in the morning to cancel our room and was told that the hotel has a 24-hour cancellation policy and they would not refund our money. I have never had a hotel not let you cancel the day of your reservation. Needless to say, we were very disappointed at this hotel's policy and this put a damper on our vacation. We will not be staying at a choice hotels property any time in the near future.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Robin Z
hiphaz7, General Manager at Comfort Inn Saugerties, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
I am so sorry that you do not agree with our Cancellation policy.
Your reservation was booked on line and you were advised that we had this policy in place.
Again we are sorry but there is nothing else that can be done.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We had stayed at this establishment many years ago & it was nice.....NOT ANY MORE!
Our first room had a toilet that would not flush, shower curtain was filthy (mold and soap scum) the mini frig freezer section was covered in ice - no room to store anything. The night manager changed our room. In the second room the toilet worked but the shower curtain had same issues - filthy and the frig in this room had a freezer that had its door frozen shut & when we finally got it open it was full of food from a previous guest - again it was obvious no one even attempted to clean it. We once again informed the manager & asked to have someone clean it while we went to dinner. Apparently there was no housekeeping staff working in the evening so the manager changed our room for a third time. Unfortunately this room was no different. Filthy shower curtain (mold & soap scum) & dirty shower walls. Also bathroom wallpaper was badly peeling which would not be a deal breaker by itself. Freezer section of refrigerator in this third room was also full of frost & ice - couldn't use. Lamps in this room were quite dusty as well. At this point we were quite tired of changing rooms. I have to use a cane & all this going up & down the stairs was a bit much. We just needed to sleep (thankfully the beds were clean) so we stayed in this room. We used 2 different stairwells during our stay to get to our various rooms - carpeting in both were filthy - not only stained but visible removable dirt - had not been vacuumed in some time.
We did not eat the free breakfast - we didn't want to take a chance. We could only imagine how filthy their kitchen might be.
Upon checkout I once again expressed our disappointment, this time to the daytime manager, as I felt we should have been compensated somehow. He said he would talk to housekeeping, but was otherwise indifferent to our situation. We had to pay $130 plus tax for this horrible experience. It's just not right!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
hiphaz7, General Manager at Comfort Inn Saugerties, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
After reading your review I was confused that THREE rooms could all have the same problems.
But that was what you stated. I am truly sorry that you had so much go wrong with your last stay.
We are in the process of remodeling the entire hotel and hope you will give us one more chance
and stay with us when you return to Saugerties, ny
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed at this Comfort Inn in saugerties ny about a year ago. It was quite pleasant the first time, The second time, I couldnt have asked for a better experience. The desk clerk Corey was more than helpful, he went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable! My room was immaculate, the beds are the best beds ive encountered in my travels! Breakfast was great! We had sausage and eggs along with a cinnamon waffle. (so good!) The housekeeping staff was incredible, I spilled coffee on my bed in the morning, i called down to the front desk and housekeeping showed up promptly. Had everything changed and bed remade in 10 minutes. I will stay at this location every time i pass threw Saugerties ny.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank john s
hiphaz7, General Manager at Comfort Inn Saugerties, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank You...Thank You.....For all your wonderful comments!

I am happy that our staff was so efficient to meet your every needs.
It is always a pleasure to greet a returning guest and
make sure that they have a great stay once again.

Again....Thank You......
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Obviously, the hotel was very short staffed. We tried to check-in at 3:30pm and were told our room wasn't ready yet, so we had to wait in the lobby. The next morning, I went to the front desk to get more towels (we only had 2 bath, 2 hand towels, and 2 wash cloths) and they said "I'm sorry but we're out of towels." What?! How does a hotel run out of clean towels??

We also noticed that the first light we turned on in the room had a very dirty lampshade - not sure what was on it. :(

Overall, this was not a good stay at this hotel; we're stayed here before, but this was a bad experience. I called the general manager after we got home to complain and left a voice mail. 3 days later, and he has not called me back yet. NOT happy!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ann B
hiphaz7, General Manager at Comfort Inn Saugerties, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
I am so sorry that your stay was not as good as your last,
I never received your voice mail. Yes it is true that that weekend
half of the housekeeping staff was out sick. I am sorry again that
your room was not ready when you arrived.. It was a big ski weekend and almost all
the rooms in the hotel had asked for extra towels. That is why when
you asked at 6.30 am for towels there were none clean
Again please give us another chance to show you that what
occurred was not the normal.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

I have never been to a Comfort Inn before so I was weary based on the comments but I have to say, my stay was very good. I'd go back if I have work in the area again. The room and bathroom were clean (small stain on the carpet but not a big deal). The shower water was hot and the heat in the room worked great. The front desk person, whom I assumed was the manager was very courteous and helpful. I only stayed the night and was out long before the 11am check in so I didn't encounter the housekeeping staff. The location was great as it was right off the highway, our room was closer to the back so I didn't have problems with the highway noise. I didn't use the wireless internet but the TV was great with lots of channels. I also didn't stop for the free breakfast so I can't speak to that.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hiphaz7, General Manager at Comfort Inn Saugerties, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank You so much for your kind review. I hope you will stay with us many times in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
Howard Johnson Inn Saugerties
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Palenville
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
BEST WESTERN PLUS Kingston Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Comfort Inn Saugerties? Share your experiences!