“Good Experience”
Review of The Red Onion

The Red Onion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Onion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 76 Restaurants in Saugerties
Cross street: Glasco Turnpike
Geneva, Switzerland
“Good Experience”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We ate here on a recent trip to the area. Everything was high quality, including the service. I would recommend it if you are in the area. I would give The Red Onion five stars, but the food didn't blow us away. It could be perfect if they tightened it up a bit.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank HerestoLife

brooklyn, ny
“Delicious and romantic!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I made a reservation at Red Onion after booking a stay at Harmony House (B&B across the road). We didn't realize it was such a short walk from where we were staying which was a pleasant surprise after a long drive up. The host greeted us with a refreshing glass of prosecco courtesy of them and our hosts at Harmony House, it was lovely. The brick wall and sexy photos on the wall created a warm and romantic setting for the 2 of us. The red onion caesar salad and potato pierogies were delicious! I had the goat cheese ravioli, really tasty and my boyfriend had the duck. Best part was the dessert..orange panna cotta...soo goood!! Definitely recommend a dinner here if in the area.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank victori48
Hudson River Valley, New York
“Solid year after year after year”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I have eaten at the Red Onion about 8 times in 10+ Years and I have to say the food has always been great. To do high end food that good for that long deserves some praise. The menu is eclectic and anyone will be able to find something they like. They use the best quality ingredients combined with a chef who clearly knows how to pair food items, make wonderful sauces to accompany the fresh ingredients and does this consistently year after year is a true accomplishment in the restaurant business. My only suggestion is a larger wines by the glass menu for those of use who like to pair different wine with different courses. A bit pricey, but worth it if you what a great meal.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank taddoloco
New York
“Will not return”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We started eating here not long after it opened, used to eat a here often. Over the years, the manager position seemed to turn over a number of times. The last several times it appeared there was no one in charge. On our final visit, there were six of us. Two of us ordered vanilla martinis, which my friend and I used to love having here. It took a long time for the drinks to come, but finally we could see them sitting on the bar, and sitting on the bar. Although our waiter passed by the bar several times, he made no attempt to deliver the drinks. We finally had to ask him to bring the drinks to our table. When he did, we each noticed that the color was not the same as usual and when we tried them, they were nothing like the ones we had enjoyed many times before and they were pretty awful (new bartender? which we could understand). When we finally got the waiter's attention and told him, he made it clear he was very annoyed at us and in a rather nasty tone said "well that's how they have made them as long as I have worked here" (and how long is that?). We could hear him talking negatively about us to other staff in the restaurant and the rest of the service he provided during our meal was, at best, unpleasant, which just ruined our dinner. When the check arrived, there was an imposed service charge for parties of six or more, so we were not able to show our displeasure with his behavior by leaving a smaller tip. It's a shame, because there was a time that we really liked this restaurant, but I guess their standards for wait staff have gone down. All six of us live in the area and none have gone back since.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank NYSbeachgirl
Marietta, Georgia
“Worth the drive from wherever you are”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

In Woodstock on business, and we needed a restaurant for Monday night dinner. Several places in Woodstock itself were closed (off season, I guess) but we got recommendations for Red Onion and we were not steered wrong. Very good service, attentive without being smothered. Excellent food, including the calamari in marinara that our group shared. Sauce was de-spiced at our request for one of our members of our party, with no problems. Can't go wrong dining here!

• Visited April 2014