“A disappointment”
Review of The Red Onion

The Red Onion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Onion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 79 Restaurants in Saugerties
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Glasco Turnpike
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We spent two nights in Saugerties/Woodstock and carefully planned our special evenings. After reading reviews we chose The Red Onion for our Saturday night dinner. 8pm reservations and lots of anticipation. I'm sorry to say it was average - at best. Really nothing special or creative about the meal. Thai mussels were tasty but small, tough mussels. I adore lamb chops and these were tasteless. Thick, well cooked but completely unseasoned - as were the sides that came with it. Pasta with clam sauce tasted like it came from a jar. Our specialty drink was watered down and the service could not coordinate with the bar - plates were flying on and off the table with no time to relax and enjoy our cocktail.
If you are just dropping in for a quick meal, this was fine but not fine dining.

1  Thank Liz B

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is an upscale restaurant nestled in the woods outside of Woodstock. They're not pompous or pretentious, but they're definitely serving high-end dishes with character and imagination. We really enjoyed the Red Onion.

The winning appetizer was the "Asian street style" calamari. The winning entree was the seafood risotto. The most surprising dish was the Thai mussels. The sauce had a real bite to it (well of course ... it's Thai, not mock-Thai!) The much-maligned-by-one-reviewer bread was terrific and ... sturdy enough to sop up the *amazing* sauces. No, I couldn't finish off the entire bowl of Thai mussels sauce, but I definitely used that bread to clean my other plates of Every. Last. Drop. The sauces really made the meal on so many plates! We loved the appetizers, but there was no way I could finish a 3/4 pound ribeye. So my sister and I shared. Wow, what a great choice.

Wonderful service and the menu was terrific. The four of us had an extremely pleasant dinner.

On a special note: One Tripadvisor review made it sound like this place would be inappropriate for children. I didn't see that at all. This was a nice, first class restaurant. We loved it. And we'd absolutely love to go back.

Hope this helps!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

all around excellent restaurant. management sees to every detail helping to create a very comfortable atmosphere and ambiance. The chef and crew present consistently superb food dining experience after dining experience. One of the best Woodstock has to offer.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Wines by the glass are excellent-- we tried the cab and Pinot. I favor vegetables and fish and loved the veg w curry and shrimp; they prepared it "mild" so it was spiced just right for me. Coconut milk perfect too--didn't overwhelm. Steak and mussels great. Nice ambiance with the white tables clothes.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Whenever we are in the area my husband and I make a point of coming here. Great service, a robust wine list and a chef that loves to play with food, The grilled mussels are a must try,