“Interesting menu choices, always high standards”
Review of The Red Onion

The Red Onion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Onion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 79 Restaurants in Saugerties
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Glasco Turnpike
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I've visited the Red Onion at least 10 times over the past 5 years. It's always worth a trip when I'm in the Woodstock area. Kevin Katz (chef & owner) really does an amazing job keeping the menu choices interesting: staples (like liver & onions) to the esoteric (duck confit salad; middle eastern appetizers; marinated trout; etc.). Don't sniff at the hamburger choice on the menu, either! Probably the finest I've had anywhere, and I SO rarely choose a burger when there's so many other great selections.

Bar drinks are up to the high standards of the food, and this place buzzes on a weekend evening - for good reason. The atmosphere is rustic upscale. No linen tablecloths, but instead exposed wood and bricks. Reminds me of a bistro setting, with a lively Woodstock crowd as backdrop.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Wonderful restaurant in the Catskill mountains. Great menu. The ceviche is amongst the best I have had. Seafood risotto was light and tasty. The homemade ravioli were delicious.

Reviewed October 24, 2010

We came here on the advice of our B&B hosts and were a little wary of the menu, as it seemed the chef was trying to pull off a few different kinds of cuisine (and by the way, this is absolutely NOT a BBQ restaurant despite the TripAdvisor tag). In particular, as one who lived in Thailand for 5 years, I was concerned about a couple of dishes that were SE Asian, a Thai beef salad and some mussels in coconut milk and lime juice. Well, we tried the mussels and they were amazing. For main course, we had duck confit that was delicious. We liked that there was a choice of 1 duck leg or 2 ($17/$28). Also, liked the attention that was placed on the sides. Each enhanced the entree and showed a great deal of thought. 2 negatives--When we go back, we will ask to be seated in the left or right rooms. We were in the middle one, which also had the bar and several very loud imbibers. And pass on the desserts--we ordered 2 and both were disappointing. But don't let that stop you from going. The food is well worth the trip!

1  Thank onthefork
Reviewed August 30, 2010

The wine made the dinner experience for us. I could not figure out which to choose, so our hosts recommended one for us. Wow, smooth. He took care of us with our appetizers beverage and suggested our wine for our main course. Server was attentive and our food fantastic. Tuesday promotion is 30% off all wines. Desserts did not have the variety or flair as the main courses. Will come back again soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2010

When I came to Woodstock to stay a weekend I was told that I just had to go to three places to eat: Bear Cafe, Red Onion, and Garden Cafe. Out of all three this one was my favorite! The food was just excellent (I had the chopped salad and the roasted chicken). The service was great. Our waiter was personable but did not hover too much, let us eat and enjoy our time there. Though it is a couple miles outside of Woodstock it is well worth the drive. Will most definitely come again!