“Pathetic”

New World Home Cooking
Reserve with OpenTable
New World Home Cooking is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 78 Restaurants in Saugerties
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New World has been owned and operated by Chef Ric Orlando and his wife and partner Liz Corrado since 1993. New World is established as a Hudson Valley favorite with 20 years of operation as a beloved café and caterer. We offer a unique concept---Global-Local-Sustainable Cuisine that combines upscale casual service with fun, vibrant but seriously executed "Clean Food" from around the world. New World Home Cooking has won Hudson Valley Magazine's People Choice awards in 2014, 2015 and 2016 for BEST ULSTER COUNTY RESTAURANT... also BEST GLUTEN FREE dining and BEST VEGETARIAN...and Ric won BEST CHEF 2014,2015. And, if you didn't already know, Ric Orlando has won Chopped twice and appeared in the first Chopped Champions ... and ... he also challenged and BEAT BOBBY FLAY in 2015!
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very unimpressive food. Service was mediocre and the atmosphere was unappealing. Hardly deserves the term Home Cooking!

2  Thank Antknee001

Reviewed February 12, 2013

SPY REPORT: Had the Mudbugs(10) and Thai Italian Bolognese.

Service: Was spot on. Paige was my server and she was attentive and wonderful. Paige had great rapport with the other patrons as well. Any request was taken care of immediately. Rest of staff was great as well and weren't afraid to answer any questions I had.

Mudbugs were: Amazing, I regretted not ordering the gumbo after eating the mudbugs. I wish I had a 2nd stomach, because I suspect the gumbo was interstellar. If work sends me up to Albany soon I'll be back to order the Gumbo before its gone.

The Thai Italian Bolognese: Awesome. Very hot and spiced, but I haven't had heat and spice in a while like that, so I would take a break for a couple seconds, clear my palate and be amazed all over again. Wonderfully intense - I put lemon on it to cut it a little and the acid hit the spot. I would tell myself "ok enough" and then find myself eating it again. Dangerously good (and I think I can see in the dark now.)

Long drive home but worth the drive up as always. Let's hope for a car that runs on water soon so I can become a regular again. You can't go wrong here.

3  Thank Ross C
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The food here was original and amazing. Each dish was so unique. The banana crisp dessert with red pepper flakes was so original and delicious

4  Thank bwnyc1987
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We love this place, there is no other like it. The casual, funky atmosphere gives you a great chill kinda vibe from the minute you enter. We have been going for many years and loved their original location in the old stone house on Zena Rd. We followed them to this newer location which was just recently renovated inside and made more comfie, cozy and better all the way around. Our daughter is vegan and she swears this is her fave restaurant in the world, I don't eat meat but always enjoy their very fresh fish dishes, loving there sides which always impressed me, not to be found anywhere else. Just fresh beans, brown rice and lots of kale made perfectly, oh and a little addition of some sweet potatoes, yummy combination. My husband eats everything and loves their porkier entrees but he ALWAYS gets the mushroom risotto (with brown rice). I love it too, so much flavor, delicious. My fave dish here has always been the seafood bouilabaisse. Their salads are good, especially the vietnamese. The service is always friendly and fantastic, as are the bartenders and drinks are nice and STRONG. Great string beans, if you love spicy, you'll love this place, but if you're like me and can't handle all that spice, you'll still love this place. The chef is one of the most creative around and is always coming up with new menu items. But, first and foremost his food is clean, and farm fresh, and even his chickens come from a local farmer. This is important to me, because this is how I eat at home. You must go and experience Rick's place and the new cozy love seats, to sit while waiting for a table with some drinks and appetizers.

4  Thank lutece
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I hate to write negative reviews so I waited till now when I have made my third visit. The Hudson Valley is not like NYC we don't have millions of world class restaurants to choose from. So we visit this place with a chopped champion chef and an adventurous interesting menu with high expectations and it's fair to say that the food here does not meet my expectations.

The Blackened string bean app is harsh and the spice ruins your palate for the rest of the night. The oysters were more butchered than shucked. My meat loaf was just OK, my sons Latino steak frites was very good - he didn't like it but I think that was the seasoning it was a gorgeous piece of meat and cooked perfectly. Desert again good not great.

You don't go here for home cooking it's not any ones comfort food. You go to New World Home Cooking for adventurous foods and ingredients. I just wish they delivered a little more consistency. I will be back but it might be a while!