“outstanding pan-american food”

New World Home Cooking
Reserve with OpenTable
New World Home Cooking is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 73 Restaurants in Saugerties
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New World has been owned and operated by Chef Ric Orlando and his wife and partner Liz Corrado since 1993. New World is established as a Hudson Valley favorite with 20 years of operation as a beloved café and caterer. We offer a unique concept---Global-Local-Sustainable Cuisine that combines upscale casual service with fun, vibrant but seriously executed "Clean Food" from around the world. New World Home Cooking has won Hudson Valley Magazine's People Choice awards in 2014, 2015 and 2016 for BEST ULSTER COUNTY RESTAURANT... also BEST GLUTEN FREE dining and BEST VEGETARIAN...and Ric won BEST CHEF 2014,2015. And, if you didn't already know, Ric Orlando has won Chopped twice and appeared in the first Chopped Champions ... and ... he also challenged and BEAT BOBBY FLAY in 2015!
Clinton Corners, New York
“outstanding pan-american food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The blackened string beans are succulent, the jerk chicken is amazing (try it *7 on the Ric-ter scale...spicy), the desserts are to die for!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank tfitzpatric

Albany, New York
“Average”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The doctor is in: My spouse and I recently dined at NWHC. This was our first visit since the menu has changed. We found the new menu very difficult to navigate. It seems that Rick has tweaked the menu to become even more eccentric. I ordered the black bean burger and requested a simple green salad as none of the sides on the menu, in my opinion, complemented a black bean burger. Of course fries were offered, but I was looking for a healthier option. I was told that I needed to order either kale or broccoli rabe if I wanted a green vegetable; neither, in my opinion went with a black bean burger. I ended up ordering the broccoli rabe and gave it to my spouse as my hypothesis was correct, br didn't go well with the burger. The menu stated that the black bean burger also came with "pickles;" it came with three dime size pickles. When I asked if I could have a few more, I was told that I'd be charged for a side of pickles and they never arrived until after I had eaten the burger. With a bill of $100.00, 3-5 more pickles couldn't have been complementary; really? My spouse ordered the fried chicken thighs and she said it was very good. We found the new menu a bit of a disappointment as it seems more limited; it doesn't seem to offer the flexibility offered in most restaurants. However, with that being said, NWHC remains delicious and everything tastes as fresh as ever. Looking for a unique dining experience, check out NWHC in Saugerties, NY, doctor's orders.

• Visited November 2012
Burlington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not my favorite”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We ate here with my 3 year old & 1 year old with our friends upon their recommendation, but apparently even they were surprised by the change in menu and lack of selection. This restaurant was chosen because my kids have severe food allergies and we were told they would be accommodating to that, and our friends are vegan. There were some options that were "safe" on the menu, but they were few and far between, and they were less than desirable to my children.

My children are allergic to diary & eggs, so when eating out we tend to stick with vegan menus because that automatically eliminates those ingredients. Usually we lean towards some form of pasta or seitan or tempeh nuggets/strips for the kids. While there was pasta available, when I asked the server if there was egg in it (a common ingredient in fresh pasta) he couldn't give me a straight answer. He said, "Probably not." In my experience, if unsure avoid it because we don't want a trip to the ER. Seitan or tempeh? Nowhere to be found on this menu. Many of the items on the menu contained some form of nut which my children can't have, and unfortunately they could not be removed from the dish so that eliminated a number of options as well.

We ended up getting my kids burgers - odd since we don't normally eat red meat, and we were looking forward to a vegetarian restaurant, but it's about all that was on the menu that they could eat and not die. They also couldn't have the bun since it had dairy in it. It didn't help that the prices of these items were astronomical. $15 for a bunless hamburger that my kid didn't even eat. Even I had a hard time finding something to eat here, and the only thing I can't eat is shellfish.

If you have zero diet restrictions then this might be a great place to eat. The atmosphere & look of the place was very nice & I would have loved to have enjoyed myself. I wanted so badly to like this place but it did not live up to our expectations, the servers are not well informed about the ingredients in the menu items (and can't be bothered to find out either, even when asked), and obviously the dishes are not as freshly made as they boast because the nuts and other ingredients could not be removed from the dishes - a sign that it is pre-made.

• Visited November 2012
Latham, NY
“amazing food”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Make the stop and enjoy the many delicious food options. There is nothing on the menu that you should stay away from. The vibe of the place is cool as well. The staff are prompts and knowledgeable. The menu changes often though as they use fresh and local ingredients.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank wormer82
Woodstock, New York
“Discover the New World”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

You want Thai? Mediterranean? Caribbean? Something to awaken your tastebuds? Spice? Heat? You've come to the right place. Drive down 212 and head on in to the funky place with happy staff. Even the drinks are fresh & unique. The special last night was suckling pig and not waste anything, pork chicarones were on the menu as an appetizer. Spicy & crunchy, perfect with my chilled wine. But for the vegetarians, there are ALOT of options...seitan wings, thai salads, and the signature blackened string beans (my favorite!!)

• Visited October 2012