“Hard to describe. This place just makes you happy!”

Catskill Animal Sanctuary
Ranked #3 of 29 things to do in Saugerties
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: No trip to the Hudson Valley is complete without visiting Catskill Animal Sanctuary. We’re open to the public for weekend tours from April-October and year-round for guests of The Homestead. • Meet cows, pigs, chickens, goats, ducks, sheep, and horses on a walking tour • Hear the stories of their lives and why they were rescued • Learn how you can help farm animals, your health, and the planet starting today Stay at The Homestead! Be our guest in one of three beautiful rooms, or a private suite, complete with your own kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bath. You’ll enjoy a delicious breakfast and can explore the grounds at your leisure.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is so far my favorite of animal rescue sanctuaries... and I love them all. The down-to-earth attitude of the staff, friendliness and the genuine love for their animals immediately wins one's heart. We loved the tour and the stories of all animals we have met. One thing that we really have to do in the nearest future is to stay at the Inn, which we hear is amazing and is dog-friendly. But again, the best part of it all is the animals - make sure to check out the pictures.

5  Thank JarvNY

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I first stumbled upon Catskill Animal Sanctuary after reading a book by the organization's director, Kathy Stevens. At the time, I drove all the way from North Carolina to the sanctuary- I just had to see this place in person. It was everything that I had imagined. Not only are the animals and their stories amazing, but the people working here are absolutely wonderful. If you are an animal-lover, you will really appreciate and notice the love and sincerity that the employees and volunteers have for these animals. The tours are great and very informative- you will be able to meet many of the animals and hear about their individual journeys to the sanctuary. This place really is heaven on earth for animals- I cannot say enough about how amazing this place is. I know I will continue to go back here for many, many years to come.

5  Thank carolina2008
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

My family visited CAS after many months of wistfully gazing at their website and I am so thankful for this experience. Our tour guide Rebecca was kind, knowledgeable, and passionate without being the least bit "preachy" towards those who share a different belief system. That being said, on a very personal level (and as a fairly new vegetarian) I felt welcome and at home being amongst wonderful people who dedicate their lives to animal rescue, animal rights, human health and responsible land use. My favorite part of the tour was standing in the barn while the pigs took a blissful afternoon nap. Catskill Animal Sanctuary is a blessing for all living creatures who walk beneath the peaceful weeping willows. In our cruel and violent world there is a very real need for animal sanctuaries and I am thankful for the chance to witness, and in some tiny way, support the efforts of CAS!

2  Thank Kathleen E
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I liked all the animals right there for you to see. It's great that they are all rescues and kids get to pet almost all of them. They are very focused on being vegetarian and have some sad stories about how animals are kept, used and killed for food. That was a bit overwhelming.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Most people have gone to zoos or petting zoos, & the like. Perhaps some of us have even interacted briefly w/ farm animals @ county fairs, but the truth is that there is a seemingly arbitrary categorization of animals by humans who stand to gain from it: this animal is "pet" - take it home, & treat it like family. This animal is "food:" take it home & eat it. This animal is "coat:" wear it. This animal is a handbag, or a pair of shoes, or.gloves, or. well, you get the idea.
Most of us do not get the chance to interact w/ farm animals - the ones designataed as food. What is it like to pet a pig belly? How do you interact w/ a horse, when it's standing next to & towering over you? Do they like to be petted too like dogs & cats? Are goats & sheep friendly? Do chickens emjoy human companionship?
Oh, do they! I can say a lot about this - & I would rave about it - but in order to keep this review shorter, I'll say this: this is a most enriching experience! Enjoyable? You bet, but seeing these animals up close - when no human is harassing or exploiting them, & they interact w/ people who take good care of them - allows you to see what cows, pigs, horses, sheep, goats, chickens, & other species are really like.
Sure, they're more intelligent than we think they are. but they're also sentient, emotional creatures capable of deep emotional bonds w/ their own & other species, & if you want to learn more about this, you can walk away w/ any 1 of the 3 books authored by the sanctuary's director - Kathy Stevens - or all 3! Wonderful stories that you'd never thought were possible - yes, even farm animals can do things that will move you from a smile to laughter, to tears, & back. Read the books, hear the stories directly from the humans that witness them daily, & spend time that will leave you feeling great! There's something deeply moving & enriching from interacting w/ creatures that - when they're not struggling for survival - are capable of gentle affection w/ strangers. Animals do not pretend - they don't have requirements of "good manners," & they don't pretend to be something they are not in order to get something. When they come to you, & express friendship & affection, it's about as real & genuine as anything on this planet. When a goat follows you around, it's because it wants to be w/ you. When a cow dives you a slobering kiss, it's because it's fond of you. When a blind horse runs over to greet you, it's because it remembers you from the last time you met. If this sounds even remotely inticing to you, do yourself a favor, & go experience it.
There is much that is going on in industrial farming that is simply sinister & evil. & harmful to animals & humans alike, but remains largely unknown. You can learn about that too - one of CAS's missions is to educate on such matters. But the animals alone are worth the trip, as well as the humans who run the place, people who follow their heart into doing such meaningful work. There is joy in interacting w/ them too!
CAS operates its own B&B on premises - called "The Homestead" - & I will submit a separate review on that. But a trip up there is a uniquely enjoyable & educational experience, especially if you have kids. My wife & I have been up there twice, & we can't wait to go back again. 5 long days left. Let the countdown continue!

4  Thank Charis A