All reviewsturn down servicecomplimentary wine and cheeseradiant heatbeautiful venueclassical music playinglovely roomhudson valleygreat showerview from the balconymonday nightheated floorscoffee and pastriesfolded nicelydeluxe kinghandwritten notetake turnsearly april
Reviewed May 7, 2017

We went to hang out for a weekend in Saugerties and this hotel called out to us. There are many fabulous reasons to stay here. Yet, there were also some shortcomings (some of which have already been written about here) that made it short of amazing.

The pros:
1. The view of the waterfall is fabulous -- they pretty much own the entire view and it is beautiful.
2.The balcony. Simply lovely to sit out on your private balcony to have your morning coffee or evening wine. During our stay, the building blocked the wind, so we were able to spend a fair amount of time out there -- even on rainy May days. We went for the King Supreme -- the other King has a smaller balcony. I wish we went for the smaller balcony -- not really worth the extra money for the larger one.
3. The bed and pillows are amazingly comfortable.
4. The card from the manager wishing us happy birthday with some lovely chocolates.
5. Turn-down service. Each night turn-down, chocolate and a fresh flower. What's not to love?
6. Beautifully appointed, nice-sized room.
7. Beautiful and comfortable common areas to relax -- and in the lobby cold water with lemons and fruit all day.
8. Very friendly staff (except for the guy at the front desk who had us sign some sort of waivers while we were checking in -- more on that below).
9. Centrally located. We were able to walk to restaurants, bars, book stores, antiques stores, etc.
10. Heated floors in the bathroom.
11. Very clean.
12. Keurig coffee with fresh cream daily.

The cons:
1. Saugerties is a very laid-back village and this hotel has an uptight vibe to it. It started with the guy who came over when we checked in. He told us all the things we couldn't do and had me sign waivers or something while I was giving the check-in woman my credit card and ID. It was disconcerting and not a good start (I have to sign to say that I agree to close the balcony door????).
2. The vanity in the bathroom is far too small. I saw an earlier post about having to take turns when getting ready. I couldn't even fit all my cosmetics on the vanity!
3. Showerhead was very disappointing. For this kind of hotel, I fully expected rainfall showerheads or something comparable. This was standard with an optional handheld. Not my cup of tea when paying to stay in this type of hotel.
4. Toiletries were not refreshed.
5. WiFi was not very good at all and we could only get 3G. Not good for our phone batteries. Please note, they are looking to remedy this shortcoming.
6. No convenient outlet access. While we could charge a phone from the dock, we could only do one at a time. Not too convenient if you have more than one device -- especially with the battery drain from the internet issues.
7. Our room was rather dark -- even with all the lights on. Perhaps they could try higher wattage bulbs?
8. Minibar prices are comparable to those in NYC. This is Saugerties NY. A convenience charge is one thing -- this so far exceeds that I found it offensive (and I will admit to paying such prices in NYC, London and the like).
9. So much stuff in the mini-bar fridge, it was hard to fit our dinner left-overs.

Overall, the pros significantly outweigh the cons and I will definitely consider staying at this property again. It's beautiful and, for the most part, relaxing (unless you're worrying about that balcony door!).

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kmunkwitz
Reviewed May 4, 2017

BEWARE! If you care about customer service, do not go here. This hotel charged us for an entire stay that we were unable to make due to a blizzard shutting down all area airports (we could get out of our city but not into theirs) and refused to refund us. Sidenote... our non refundable car reservations and non refundable airline tickets were both refunded due to the extenuating circumstances. We were presented the option to move our stay to a later date and pay a rate that was inflated by $50/night (25% inflation-a HUGE courtesy as they explained it)... which was then charged to our credit card months in advance without warning or permission even though I specifically asked "Can you please advise what the unpaid balance for the reservation will be? Can you confirm that the unpaid amount will again be withdrawn the morning of our check in? Also may I confirm the last four digits of the credit card you have on file?" (no response) The days before we were due to arrive I looked at the online booking and saw that they were offering rooms $30/night less then what they were charging us. I called to see if they would match the price and were told because we had to move the reservation due to the blizzard our reservation was unchangeable. Found out at that time we were charged for an extra day as well. It was near impossible to speak with the hotel manager. It took several attempts to reach her, she was always "out of the office"... never could get a call back from her. When I finally did talk with her she was unimaginably rude, raising her voice and talking over me. Followed up our conversation with email stating my concerns and never got any response back addressing the issues. Simply stated the extra day was a "miscommunication" and backhandedly blamed me for booking it. She never even met with us when we arrived for our stay. I could see her ducking around the corner when we would come to the lobby. This entire experience was unacceptable customer service to any standard. I have never been treated so poorly after spending so much money with a facility.

I will say though that everything about the restaurant "The Tavern" was phenomenal. The food, staff and manager were wonderful. I would highly recommend visiting the Tavern. Unfortunately though we will NEVER stay here again based on the way we were treated by the hotel management.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled with family
11  Thank robinjcastaneda
Reviewed May 1, 2017

My wife and I planned to visit the vineyards in Northern New York and wanted to stay over night. We arrived at Diamond Mills on April 29 and we were greeted with such hospitality from the moment we walked through the door. Check in was a breeze and our room, the deluxe king, was on the first floor and ready for us when we arrived. Upon entering the room, we needed ice and the concierge informed us the ice machine was on the second floor and he offered to get it for us. The room was immaculate and welcoming. We immediately felt relaxed and fell in love with the breathtaking views of the waterfall. Since it was also our anniversary weekend, the staff left us a handwritten note with chocolates. Shortly after, housekeeping arrived to deliver more chocolate bites.

That night we at the Tavern. The service was slow, but the food was amazing and very well priced. The staff was very professional and accommodating and even gave us (party of 4) a complimentary glass of wine for the long wait.

The night's sleep was amazing as well. There is nothing I can really say other than this is by far one of the top 5 hotels we stayed and we are looking forward to returning for another stay. I will add that we ate a Lucy's and the food there was impeccable. They have a huge selection of options for vegetarians and meat eaters. If you stay at the Diamond Mill Hotel, make sure you visit Lucy's for brunch the next day.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the second floor. Our room was on the first floor and we were able to hear the traffic as people checked out.
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2017 via mobile

Lovely weekend getaway at Diamond Mills and Saugerties. The hotel is a beautiful historic brick building right on the waterfall. From our large terrace with couch and chairs, we could enjoy the views of the waterfall and bridge for hours. It's a bit mesmerizing. Clean upscale room and bathroom (although sandpaper towels). Loved the radiant heat floors. If you peaceful, relaxing need a night away, I'd highly recommend it.

We ate lunch at the Tavern. Delicious salad but slow service. Dinner at Miss Lucy's in town was great. Enjoyed the shops which were a quick walk. There is an amazing antique light fixture store with thousands of lights. I've never seen anything like it. We also played golf at Lazy Swan which was fun and has a very nice upscale outdoor bar and restaurant. (Didn't eat there but great atmosphere).

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2017 via mobile

Diamond Mills exceeded our expectations with its gorgeous view, lovely room and welcoming staff. Every detail had our comfort in mind. Whule I was disappointed that their restaurant was closed on Tuesdays in early April, the staff gave us many other area dining options. We ended up at the Red Onion that had a great vibe, fresh and unique foods and a warm wait staff. The town was small but had enough shops to keep us going. It is a short ride to Woodstock for more adventures. All in all Saugerties is a town that is going to make its mark in the near future. It is certainly doing all it can to bring back the charm (with a definitely modern feel) of a small town.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple