“HORRIBLE” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Total Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Total Tennis
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
WhitePlains, NY
“HORRIBLE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

If you like playing in the rain and hitting dead balls, this is the place for you. I left the first day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank TennisCraze

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
huntington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

This is my second time back at total tennis. The first time I was there during a winter session and the tennis was great. We got all the court time we were promised and got a great work out. However, while playing tennis, one of the housekeeping staff had stolen five hundred dollars in cash out of my wallet that I had forgotten in the room. I had confronted the front desk and with much pressure from me and my friends they gave me a credit for two hundred and fifty dollars towards my next stay. I was very unhappy with this solution but had no choice but to accept this sad excuse for an apology. Plus my friend that I was there with had her tennis racquet stolen as well.
The second visit was a bit better, nothing stolen but it did however rain pretty much the whole time we were there. We are guaranteed 8 hours of tennis and 1/2 hr private lesson. Well Total Tennis was totally booked 70 people and so you are expected to share 6 indoor courts with 70 people or you are expected to play outside on damp or wet courts Ed, could have cared less. He has no real plan for rain, just share the courts. So instead of maybe a morning session and afternoon session, you play one hour on and one or two hours off until you get your 4 hours in. You are also expected to then share the courts with 8-12 players at a time. So you spend a bit of your time waiting to hit the ball instead of getting full play.

Our private lessons were given to us on a shared court as well, two players per court with two pros. That part wasn’t too bad but if you wanted to practice cross court shots, forget it. I would not go back to total tennis nor would I want to give the owner, Ed any more of my money. I will drive a bit further next time and get a good tennis weekend in.

Good Luck to all who book at total tennis.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
7 Thank cmoyssiadis
Middletown, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2009

Just returned from a 4 day (Sun - Thurs) Tennis experience at total tennis experience.

I can honestly say that if you are a tennis junkie, and want to improve your game this is the place for your to go to for value. I've been here twice now and this time, I really got my money's worth.

Everything was great except for the owner, who absolutely needs an attitude adjustment. For some reason, he doesn't seem to get the concept of customer service and satisfaction. Basically the problem that I had with Ed, was that as the End of September can be chilly and rainy in upstate NY, he does not encourage his instructors or his guests to utilize the indoor courts when the weather is less than acceptable for tennis (rain and cold). According to Ed and I will quote: "This session is for outdoors and not for indoors".

The facilities are absolutely rustic and I had no problems at all with the accomodations. No TV in rooms, just a clock radio. No problems for me, as I came to play Tennis not to watch TV. One really odd thing is the way the door locks are located on the opposite side than you expect (right side, against the door frame - difficult to insert). I don't know who engineered the doors, but this this person needs to be shot..

The 17 hours of instruction we got was really great. We had a total of 3 different instructors and they were excellent. My 2 friends and I absolutely got our money's worth here, with the quality of instruction and the amount of drills and free play we could do.

The quality of food is in one word. Amazing! The cafeteria style served food is beyond reproach as the chef prepares every breakfast/lunch/dinner with such authenticity and flair that you cannot believe you are in a Tennis Camp! We were looking forward to each meal! This is not only because we were constantly hungry, but the meals were just outstanding!

We didn't have much interaction with the staff, but the rooms were kept neat and the maid service was excellent. No shortage of towels here.

BTW, here's a tip: When you get a room, make sure you pay the extra $25 to get the room with the full divider (not the 3/4 divider - not even sure why they made it this way).

The accomodations are rustic. and the views from the rooms are amazing. The rocking chairs outside the rooms are an excellent touch. If you are looking for luxary, this is not the place for you. The rooms are made for sleeping with the basic amenities. If you are looking for TV's or any other hotel amenities, forget it.

The lodge is where you should hang out. This is where the action is. Bar, TV Room, internet access and Dining Area. In the evenings, people play games, read, watch TV or just hang out to mingle here. My friends and I spend quite a bit of time here, waiting for food service. The Wine and Cheese party on the first day was a nice touch.

The front desk staff was excellent in every aspect. Special Kudos to Ellen for her kindness and her thoughtfulness. Ed could learn a thing or two from her about good customer relations and service.

Overall, I would recommend Total Tennis without any qualms. I recommend you do the 2 day stay. More than 2 days is really stretching your limits (body). I also recommend you either go during the Summer months or plan for a weekend stay during the winter (indoor).

My friends and I have done both now and I would recommend the Summer visit without a doubt. I think the Winter visit, you are going to have a lot of waiting time (2 hours each time), as there are only 5 indoor courts and some might be used for local instruction (double booking).

Due to an injury to me, we had to reschedule our trip on short notice from August to end of September and the staff was very helpful! Kudos to them for this.

I got the feeling from the instructors that they also had issues with Ed, but they of course did not make their feelings known. The quality of instruction/drills were amazing. I personally know that I will benefit in the long term being a club level player. My instructors were very perceptive and very observant to my weaknesses and the 1/2 hour instruction included in my stay was worth it.

So if you are in the Northeast and want a value for your buck with Tennis instruction/Camp, Total tennis is the way to go. For me, my next time, I will be planning for my kids a 2 day session next summer!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank amoghe
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

I've come for a 2 night weekend during the past 3 summer with a friend (for a "singles weekend"). This year was with family, including two teenagers. We had a fantastic time. The accomodations are spare and rundown but clean and adequate. The 3 self-serve meals a day are bountiful with organic (from their new garden this year) and grass-fed options. Tennis is grouped by level (with four to a group) assigned to one pro for the weekend. If you get a good pro - you'll have a great weekend. Most of the pros are terrific - although there were complaints the weekend I was there about one particular pro. Ed (the owner who runs the program) did replace the pro for that group - but not until the second day. Our pro - Jack - was amazing. He gave great feedback, worked us hard and was incredibly patient. And made it all fun. If the weather is inclement, there are indoor facilites - but groups will have to double up to 8 to a court. Bottom line - if the weather and your pro is good - you will have an AMAZING weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Newark, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

Prepared to play excellent tennis with an great group of bi-lateral skilled individuals; the facilities, food, room, and staffing are fantastic. I cannot wait to return in the fall.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
NYC, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

My friend and I went to TT for a girls get away weekend. We were both beginners and placed together in a group that totaled four. Our instructor, Vic, was patient, kind and extremely helpful. He was able to hone in on what we needed extra work on and ran fun drills and games to keep us moving, engaged and having fun. The first day we were videotaped without much practice and we were later shown the tape in slow motion so we could see what we needed to work on. We both came away feeling like we learned a lot and had improved.

The food and accomodations were good. The crowd was mostly women in their 40s - 60s. There is a hot tub and a pool and spa services. We each had a massage which was very good. Before dinner on Saturday, there was a complimentary wine and cheese hour which was really nice. Saturday night they brough in a DJ and had dancing in the barn. We skipped it but heard it was fun.

Overall, a great time, lots of tennis, learned a lot, would definitely return and recommend!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

Just back from a two-day stint at Total Tennis --my first visit. The main attraction here is obviously the tennis. I had a great time. I played with the three friends I traveled with so I did not encounter any pairing problems. We did drills most of the morning and played doubles and games in the afternoons. On Saturday afternoon there was a Round Robin which was slightly disorganized but I was happy to get out there and play. The accommodations are fairly grim -- cabins with only the bare necessities. (Remember to bring your own shampoo!) The food is the absolute highlight. Their chef and kitchen staff are wonderful and the meals were all delicious, relatively healthful, varied, etc. Basically, Total Tennis is summer camp for tennis heads. Go for the tennis but stay for the food!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
Diamond Mills Hotel
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Hotel Vienna
Hotel Vienna
#1 of 6 in Windham

Been to Total Tennis? Share your experiences!