“Never Again”
Review of Total Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Total Tennis
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
New York City
“Never Again”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

As has been said here many times, Ed the owner is unpleasant and has an attitude. As a paying customer, I don't expect to be yelled at when I ask a question.

The tennis is hit or miss depending on the instructor. I was told that only 3 of the pros were certified tennis instructors. You play with the same instructor and same 4 person group for 2 days so if you get a bad instructor or a group, you're out of luck. There was little variety in the drills we did - it was actually more games - king/queen of the court, etc. than actual drills. We played on not well kept red clay courts half day and hard courts half day which was awkward. The hard courts have cracks with grass and weeds growing out. The nets on the hard courts had holes and everyone in my group commented on it.

I wish I had stayed home and spent the money on private lessons instead.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helen S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Signed up for 3 days of Tennis. Had an excellent instructor for the first two days and learned a lot. Physical demanding.
3rd day, two different instructors. I have never seen lazier tennis instructors than those two!
No tips to improve my skills, just standing around, hugging their racket and running drills.
The Tennis Director never showed up during any of the days on the courts to check our progress or help the instructors.
Accomodations are OLD but clean. Food is excellent. The massage was good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Richard B
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We have been to TT several times over the last couple of years and every time we love it.
Firstly, it is a tennis camp, so don't expect luxury. Having said that, the rooms are adequate and clean. There are several buildings to stay in, we stayed in Chura Rose and the main Lodge. It was fine -- you are so tired after the day of tennis that all you really need is a shower and a bed to crash in.
The tennis is usually very good -- most of the pros are excellent, and the groups usually work out well, especially for the intermediate 3.0 to 4.0 levels. For the 4.5+ it is sometimes tricky, really depends on the given weekend. The outdoor courts are mostly clay, but be prepared to go to hard courts if the place is filled up.
The only complaint that we have is the timing of the second session -- it is too soon after lunch, an extra half hour or hour would be so much better to digest and feel more energetic.
The pool is clean and refreshing, the hot-tub is very nice.
The food is excellent! Chef Dan is a genius at making truly wholesome, healthy and delicious offerings at every meal. Really, I'll say it again -- the food is great!
Overall, a fun trip every time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Irvington, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Good things: food, cleanliness of the rooms, overall casualness of the place, hours on the court
Not so good: pros can be lazy, private lesson arrangements and times, variability of pro competence

So, would I return? Answer is that it depends on my husband who absolutely loves the place. I have a regular weekly lesson plus a tennis drill class so what Total Tennis provides isn't that novel for me anymore. Three years ago, our first time there, it was fantastic because I didn't have that kind of structure in my tennis life. My husband plays a lot but doesn't get regular instruction or drills so his experience is different than mine. I would definitely return with a group of four or eight to customize the experience -- request a specific pro and control the level of player in the group. I think people who come together in a group have a great time.

In a nutshell, your experience here depends on who you get for an instructor and who is in your group. Year 1 I had a good instructor who was flirting with a single woman in the group. Year 2 I had an OK instructor but a husband and wife duo in my group who rated their tennis ability lower than it really was and complained about the heat so I struggled to play well against them AND the instructor ratcheted down the intensity since all they did was moan. This year I thought I had figured it all out (different instructor, check, equally matched group of ladies, check) but was wrong.

This year they decided to combine classes so my group of 4 was really a group of 8 shared with two instructors, one of whom I had last year. To me, this meant I didn't have one person becoming familiar with my weaknesses and helping me correct them. Instead we received much more generalized pointers leaving you to ask the instructor after every drill what you needed to focus on. I would much have preferred each group of four stuck with its own instructor, for better or worse. I still don't understand why this became a "team" approach. Where was the benefit to us? I saw what it was for the pros -- a chance to relax a bit, since the 8 of us could rotate through queen of the court, etc., fairly unsupervised, and receive double tips.

The private lesson was also a disappointment. Without someone really tuned in to your on-the-court flaws it is up to you to figure out what to work on. Ok. Fine but then how about pushing me the next day to follow up on the things we worked on in the lesson? Come on! That is just sleeping through your job. I also thought that I received less than the full 30 minutes which I think was due to the pros restricting the lessons to the first day or the morning of the second day because it was going to be "too hot" in the afternoon. This meant that my pro had stacked up a lesson behind mine. I definitely felt rushed and I saw that my husband received a lot more time with his pro during his lesson.

Did I learn things? Somehow I still managed to but I don't feel that it was as rewarding an experience as it should have been or had been before.

Recommendation: definitely give it a try once since it is good tennis for the money and the food is really delicious. 100% give it a try if you have a group of similar level players coming together.

The accommodations are basic but after that much tennis in a single day you are just going to crash anyway so who really cares? Proximity to NY makes getting there a breeze. Pool is amazingly refreshing after a day on the courts. People are nice for the most part although you do get a couple of tennis snobs but if you play you've run across them before. Engage them in tennis chatter if you want or just move on to a different table next meal.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Soccermomirv
Hastings on Hudson, New York
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Had a wonderful weekend. It's all about tennis and fun. Lovely setting, looking at the mountains when forgetting to look at the ball. Ed's instructions/demonstrations each day were brilliant in their simplicity. The food was surprisingly good - was kinda worried when it was listed as 'buffet style' but each meal was really great. Fantastic atmosphere, lovely staff and an all-round good time. Some pro's are obviously better than other's so research and request. Accommodation is rustic (it is a 'camp') but you're really not spending a lot of time in your room. Really good value for money. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Allentown PA
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Total Tennis is about tennis and fun. That criteria is met most often. The super casual camp like atmosphere is not for the stuffy or puffy type. When we travel there, (this is second time) we go for a good work out on the courts, good food at all three meals, and meeting new friends or laughing with our group. When booking I would suggest you prepare for clean but cabin-like environments.
No need for fancy clothes or outfits. The Pros have been friendly and helpful. Some even pushy ( yes, new Saiff is too pushy) but we still love the tips and techniques. We are 4.0s and not looking for major game changing advice, just sound hitting and good drills with tips from pros. PRO Tony was a delight and very observant as to what we needed.

The food is organic, and free range. It is familiar, and yet there is something new each time they serve a meal. The SEA BASS was wonderful! Again, great chef, and yet no fancy waiters or tablecloths. Just relaxing camping lodge type environment. All you can eat and drink, ice water on courts Gatorade too.

Thanks To Ellen for getting us great rooms with a view, and hello to Ed who keeps churning out the business side. I hope you smile this year BIG GUY!

Overall, this trip is worth the very fair price, and with the proper expectations, this will be your favorite get away!

Room Tip: Cabins that are free standing are smaller, but cozy. Rooms overlooking pool have views, porches, and...