“VERY DISAPPOINTING!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Saugerties/Woodstock KOA Campground
Port Washington, New York
“VERY DISAPPOINTING!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

NEVER in my many years of camping have I ever experienced such INHOSPITABLE camp owners. After driving 3 hrs, our family arrived at around 12:30pm. We knew check in was not until 2pm but usually, if the site is not occupied, places usually allow you to go to your site so you can set up. At the general store there was a sign saying that if no one was there, to buzz the call button on the walkie talkie they had hanging and someone would come out. So I buzzed it once and waited with my 2 kids anxiously waiting to start their first camping trip of the season.

The woman, I am assuming she was the owner came out looking annoyed and asked me what I wanted. I explained to her that we had reservations and was wondering if we could check in. She told me check in was at 2pm, so I asked if there was something we could do in the meantime. She sounded annoyed and hastily told us we could play on the playground. When I asked her if there was a map she could give us, she asked me if I wanted one of the campground or the area. It was our first time so I asked for both if she had them. She huffed and puffed because she had to unlock the door to the camp store to get the maps.

Then she started to mutter under her breath that if she had to go in, she might as well check me in and that she was TRYING to have lunch and this was the second time she was interrupted. She continued to fret that her lunch was interrupted and then after giving us the keys she told me "Next time, DON'T come before 2pm!!!!!" and then stomped off back to her house next to the store. I wanted to tell her not to worry that there would not be a next time.

Seriously?! Even if 5 start hotels, if your room is ready and you arrive early, you'll get your room. If lunch is so sacred, then post a sign telling people to come back later!

The pictures are very deceiving! The playground was very dirty, the bounce house was not inflated at all during our stay and was covered in pine needles and did not look like it had been used in quite some time. Guess how disappointed the kids were when I told them there would be one! We stayed in a cabin which was full of carpenter ants especially on the bunk beds and in the bathroom! We had to go out and buy ant traps there were so many! Their camp flyer said that a truck would come by to pick up garbage if we left it in front of our site, but no one ever came.

If you are going to visit this area, I am sure there are other friendlier camp sites. I would definitely NOT recommend this place!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank SooLouis

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Stony Brook, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

We went to go Zip-lining at Hunter Mountain and this is one place to camp that was close by. It's definitely a family and dog friendly place. On Memorial Day weekend, every campsite was taken so there were families, kids and pets all over the place. Their competition, Rip Van Winkle Campsite, is only up the road and it looked a bit more upscale than the KOA and I hope to stay there at some other time so that I can compare the two.

Pros:
- Family and pet friendly (they even have dog poop bags to clean up on the pet walk)
- Lots of activities to keep children busy (big wheel-type bike rentals, wooden playhouse, swimming pool, arcade, small pond for fishing, miniature golf course)
- Laundry room, nice store and bathrooms were rather clean.

Cons:
- Noisy at night (The owners try to keep it quiet at night but it's an uphill battle...)
- Not roomy, the campsites are very close together and it seems that they tried to fit too many sites into one area.
- I saw the owners scolding kids and campers quite a bit over the weekend. They are nice if you obey all of the rules but they have a nasty side too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Victor P
Westfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

I read some of these reviews and I'm amazed. This IS a campground, OMG, it may be dusty, really? We haul a 30' 5th wheel from MA to this location purposely 3-4 times a season that takes us 2 hrs each way, because it is one of the best sites that we've been to. We've been to plenty of KOA's all over the NE and this is hands down the best, hence why we keep returning. We have a 2010 camper and a 2011 truck and I'm very anal on how clean I like to have our equipment and I have no complaints at all. Never had an issue with the cleanliness of the facilities. Don't know the owners all that well, but the staff has always been great and we'll continue to haul our camper 2 hrs each way to stay here, while driving by dozens of other campsites. I don't know where some of these other campers stay at, but holy cow, get a grip!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rich Y
Western New York State
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed there overnight in our small Class A RV and were extremely disappointed. We have stayed at many other KOA's and other campgrounds and have never encountered such a poorly kept facility. The road into the facility isn't even gravel, it's just a dirt road that is so dusty you can hardly see where you're driving. Everything throughout the grounds are covered in dust. By the time we left, our clean RV was too. I cannot imagine what the place is like when it rains! The campsites are very close together, the trees and grounds are poorly maintained. Yes the sites are level, but they could use gravel on the roads and sites. The bathrooms were old and not very clean and several stalls were missing toilet paper. Because we were there as simply a place to get off the road for 1 night, we didn't use the pool, shower, or any other amenities, but honestly, we could hardly wait to leave the next morning! This campground does not live up to the KOA standards that we've encountered for the past 3 years of traveling. We will not return and will warn others away. There are better places not too far away!

Room Tip: Find another campground!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank FussyTraveler2008

Travelers are raving about these Saugerties hotels

Shelton, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

Traveled in 5th Wheel. Pulled in on friday and should have known by how the sites were not full. Sites were very close together. Our fire pit was right next to our neighbors sewer and far too close to both trailers. We were not able to use fire pit or awning. The pool was not clear and bathrooms hadn't been cleaned in a while. When we booked reception was very friendly. When we got there it was different. The man was very unfriendly. Not a way to run a business. I will NOT EVER stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank VacationWarriors
Riverview, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed here in September 2010 for two nights. The first thing we noticed when we drove in was the overflowing garbage dumpsters at the front entrance. The smell was overwhelming. When we went to use the bathrooms that evening after the office was closed (after 8pm) two toilets were filthy and the third didn't work. They only one one bathroom with three toilets for the whole campground. The road in the campground is very dusty ie no pavement and everything is covered in dust. This is a very dumpy campground and we couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank Maritimer62
Riverview, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

We spent a couple of nights at this campground as part of our vacation trip, I would say that it was mediocre at best. In my opinion it is in dire need of maintenance upgrades to be brought up to date.
There were several trees around the sites that were either dead or near dead. washrooms were quite old and only checked/cleaned once a day (A friend had to go tell them that all 3 toilets in the woman's washrooms were plugged)
There were only 1 men's and 1 women's washroom for the entire entire campground.
Wireless internet and cable tv were included in the price so that was a plus.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank c0verdale
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Howard Johnson Inn Saugerties
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Saugerties/Woodstock KOA Campground? Share your experiences!