“Movie set for The Shining?”
Review of The Gideon Putnam

The Gideon Putnam
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 8, 2014

As we drove up the long drive a stange sense of deja vu overwhelmed us. As we walked into the lobby and then through the long halls of this cavernous relic of the past, we realized that we had entered a time machine and were back in the 1930's. We enjoyed drinks and dinner on the patio and a long walk through the grounds, suspiciously similiar to the Western Oregon State Mental Hospital, the movie set of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Then it struck us. We were destined to survive a night in an upstate New York version of the Shining Hotel, from the set of another Jack Nickelson movie.

We fortified ourselves with another visit to the bar, bolted the door of our 1930's decorated room, pushed a chair up against the door and pulled the covers up over our heads. No fire axes bashed through our door during the night and nobody stuck his head through the door yelling, "Here's Jonnneeeeee".

When we awoke the next morning, all was well and we enjoyed a delicious breakfast. We walked around the grounds again and finding no frozen bodies, we hopped in our car and drove safely away.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim B
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We have, on occasion, heard people say that they sense something, but given our 1935 age, it is not out of the realm of possibility. We are so glad we were able to play a part in your adventure! We hope to see you again.... "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining.

There are newer reviews for The Gideon Putnam

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

All I can say is Wow !!! I have traveled for over 40 years and this hotel is now one on the top of my list. My fiance and I stayed the night of April 26th and all I can say is that from the time we entered the grounds till the time we left I could not stop talking about the surroundings and the hotel itself. The staff at the front desk were wonderful both on arrival and departure. The room was spotless and very well appointed. Cannot get over the working telephone booths and all the original work that went into the architecture of this wonderful building. Don't ever modernize ... This a place of yesteryear living well in the 21st century. We will definitely be back .... don't change a thing.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for calling and telling me about your TripAdvisor post. I was thrilled to hear how much you and your fiance loved everything about our hotel, and that you would have given us 6 Stars if you could have! It was a pleasure speaking with you, and with any luck, we will see you again soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

The Gideon Putnman, while staffed by lovely, friendly people, is in need of serious updating. Our room was a large double room, but the features all seemed out of an old apartment, not a hotel, and certainly not a "resort." The doorknob on the closet door repeatedly stuck, the radiator was incredibly hot, the windows were old style pull-up without screens or guards which was scary considering we were on the fourth floor and we have a young child. The carpet was icky, the ice maching room was old and dirty, the bed was a full (so tiny!), and the worst part was probably that we could hear everything the next room over was saying. Our two rooms were each separated from the other rooms by thin doors - the kind you might have on your bedroom at home. We were woken up at 2am by a seemingly drunk couple arguing - it sounded like they were 5 feet away from us. The other neighbors we heard in the morning - we could hear everythign they said.

Oh, and the shower was gross. The tub was old, and on the floor of the tub was a plastic mat - how gross!!!

I would never go back to the Gideon Putnam unless it went a major renovation. The facilities are just delapidated and icky.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. You are correct - care for a historic, 1935 property such as the Gideon Putnam is eternal. There are always projects, major and minor, in process. Screens were removed from the windows in preparation for painters and window repair. New screens have to be custom built, and so hopefully, we will have them back up soon. I am sorry we let you down. Should you decide to visit us again, you will continue to see improvements to the property.

Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Passing through the Saratoga Springs area and decided to stay overnight at the Gideon Putnam Resort. Although winter had barely left, could see how nice it is to be in the middle of Saratoga Spa State Park and only a quick shuttle ride to town.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Travlinfamily4

Thank you for your impromptu visit. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay - hopefully we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I decided to take my wife someplace nice for her birthday. Being from Albany, I've been to Saratoga many, many times, and I absolutely love it up there. I'd heard a lot of "good" things about The Gideon Putnam, so I decided it would be a nice change from staying at a Quality Inn, or Best Western, but boy, was I WRONG!

This place is an absolute travesty, and a joke! When we got into our room it was damp, musty, and filthy. Not to mention it was so small you, literally, had to walk over the bed to get to the other side of the room. How anyone has the balls to charge you, what they do for these rooms should be strung up. The bathroom is right on top of you, water pressure was horrible, and the door didn't close, or open all the way.

The walls were paper thin, as you could hear EVERYTHING in the hallway as if the people were in your room with you. All night we heard the sound of running water which was not coming from our room. We both got a horrible nights sleep, as we seemed to be awaken every 30 minutes to an hour by noises in the hallway, which is disgusting, and filthy by the way.

The staff was rude, and ignorant. They almost acted as if they were above us, LMAO! HELLO, YOU'RE A HOTEL CLERK! When we checked out the next morning, all we wanted to do was get the hell out of this place, and yet, with nobody in line but ourselves, the clerk decided to talk on the phone for 10 minutes before checking us out. How hard is it to say to the person on the phone "Can you please hold for a minute?" or, at the very least, acknowledge that my wife and I were standing there by saying "I'll be right with you folks."

The best thing about this place was getting out of it. This is, by far, the WORST hotel stay I have ever had in my life, and as a guy that has traveled to many places, I've stayed in some dives, but at least I wasn't paying the absurd amount this place charges. I should've demanded a full refund!

My bedroom, at home, is bigger, cleaner, and nicer than the rooms in this place. Maybe I should charge people $300 to stay in my room. At least I have a QUEEN sized mattress.
STAY AWAY!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to a Quality Inn, Best Western, Holiday Inn, pay 1/3 of the price and get much better accommodati...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 172Kevin76
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

We always appreciate honest feedback, but I am taken aback by the tone of your review. Our front desk agents are very good at their jobs. They are often pulled in ten directions at once, and they take pride in providing the best customer service for each and every guest. If you were not immediately acknowledged, I do apologize. With regard to your room, we are a historic, 1935 hotel, and unfortunately, some of our rooms are smaller than others. If you were not satisfied, and there was another room available, we would have been happy to accommodate you. Care for a property such as this is eternal, and should you return, you will continue to see improvements to the hotel. We hope to have another opportunity to better serve you.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

The Gideon Putnam is simply a classic. Nothing quite beats Saratoga and its location is literally perfect. Surrounded by the park, with the Saratoga Performing Arts Center a short walk away, and a great spa, the Gideon Putnam is the perfect place to be. Rooms are as you would expect for the price point. Breakfast buffet is terrific, with an outside patio in the warmer months surrounded by tall trees. It is such a peaceful spot to be within the lively town of Saratoga. My pick every time. Sometimes they have groupons for rooms so keep your eye out for those as they are a steal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for your great review. We are thrilled to hear that you found us to be classic. For many people, the Gideon Putnam IS Saratoga. Hopefully we will see you for a show at Saratoga Performing Arts Center - you can't beat the Gideon, in the Park, in Saratoga in the Summer!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed there for a weekend getaway. We had a great time. It is located in Saratoga Park so there was plenty of walking paths. The room was very big and very comfortable. I loved that the staff was genuinely nice and friendly. It didn't feel like they were being fake. Once there, the shuttle took us every where we wanted to go. the bar and restaurant offered a nice selection. Would love to go back for the summer. I also highly recommend going to the spa at The Roosevelt.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking note of our great customer service and friendly staff. We are glad to hear you had a great getaway, and it sounds like we will see you again in the Summer!