“A step back in time”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Amawalk, NY
“A step back in time”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife and I were visiting the area and I wanted to find a place with character. This definitely fit the bill. I arrived in Saratoga Springs first and decided to visit the hotel prior to making a reservation. I was greeted by a woman that was tending to the gift shop and she was outstanding, providing some history of the hotel and relating very positive experiences from past guests. She suggested that I view a room. The front desk staff was equally friendly and accommodating. The room was very nice and clean, I was sold! My wife arrived shortly after and was very happy with the choice. I visited the lounge, again the staff was friendly and prompt. We also had the Sunday breakfast and found the prices reasonable and the food excellent. I would definitely stay at this property when in the area again and next time will treat my wife to the spa! Note, advance reservations are recommended for the spa.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank markj508
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding the great service you received from our staff. I am thrilled to hear that curiosity about our beautiful, historic hotel led to a wonderful stay, and it sounds like we will definitely see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Dover Plains, New York
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful, lovely hotel. Old world charm and class. Upon entering the lobby, you are greeted with friendly and helpful staff, & a beautiful sitting area with overstuffed chairs and 2 fireplaces. We stayed in a king deluxe room. Our bed was comfortable, the room was immaculately clean and well appointed with in-room amenities. We had breakfast each morning in the on-premise restaurant. It was delicious and the service, again, was impeccable. We love this place! We were treated so well, we cannot wait to go back. Incidentally, there is so much to do in the area that two days was not enough.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are so glad to hear we left a positive and lasting impression. It is so true, there really is so much to do in Saratoga, and right here in the Saratoga Spa State Park. Hopefully we will see you again soon!
New York
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Overall, nice stay - clean and comfortable room, two fireplaces in the lobby, restaurant on site. A couple of major issues that are not clear/easy for first time guests:

1. When making online reservation and spa services are selected, know that those are not guaranteed, must be booked directly with spa, and pricing is for 1 person even though multiple people on reservation. Don't worry about the day selected, it means nothing - call the spa directly. It's very confusing, and we almost missed out on spa services, which was the point of the trip.

2. The hotel is dog friendly, but when I called to confirm that we could bring a dog I was told we were in a dog-friendly room, but a request had to be noted, and was not guaranteed. Not wanting to risk it, we put our dog in a kennel and when we checked in the woman was surprised we didn't have our dog. She was very apologetic, but this was a major error by person confirming reservation and providing info (Linda, you REALLY screwed that up).

Hope these tips make it easier for new guests to plan and enjoy their stay.

• Stayed March 2014
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback. I am glad that overall you had a pleasant stay, but surely, it would have been better if your dog was with you. I'm so sorry. Delaware North Companies has properties all over the country, and so we use a central reservations center - I have shared your review with the reservations team so this mis-communication does not happen again. For Spa treatments, we do ask that you call the Spa to book a time, choose a male or female therapist, and to share any special needs or requests. Please accept our apologies for causing so much confusion. Should your future plans lead you back to Saratoga, we hope to have another opportunity to better serve you.
boston, ma
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Having gone to Saratoga Springs for an even we chose the Gideon Putnam. It sits on or around a state park. Pulling in it looked very nice, very common for it's age. We were very happy with the staff and the bed comfort. The linen and furnitures were very nice. The carpet was just a bit worn, my bigger issues were the peeling glaze off the bathroom wall and shower tiles as well as the bath tub, it's just unsightly and looks dirty although it wasn't. The room was very clean but the bathroom was a big disappointment. Although not so much a problem at this time a year, you could hear a lot of noise from up above or in the hallways. The hotel wasn't at capacity but I'd worry about peak seasons. All in all it was a nice stay, I'd go back just for the comfort and staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
We are thrilled to hear you had a comfortable stay, and that our staff treated you well. However, please accept our apologies regarding your bathroom. We are a National Historic Landmark Hotel, and so it is important that certain features and fixtures remain. We have had the tubs refinished twice in as many years, and now we are looking at a second company to fix what the first company was unable to do. Thank you for your patience - care for a property such is this is eternal. Please come see us again soon.
Massachusetts
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight after an afternoon of visiting relatives who live nearby. The grounds were beautiful. Our room was clean and quiet, and the food was good. We did not take advantage of any of the other services, so I can't comment. I would like to return in warmer weather when the grounds weren't ice-covered.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Even though your visit was short, we are glad to hear we left a positive and lasting impression. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Spring is only a few days away... hopefully that means we will see you again soon!
New Jersey
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I can't say enough complimentary things about the staff at the Gideon Putnam...they were all genuinely friendly and so accommodating! The staff is the reason I gave this review 5 stars, they were wonderful. The shuttle service was like having a private taxi at your beck and call.
The rooms were ok but I don't feel like the furnishings were on par with how beautiful the lobby area and buffet area were. The beds were hard. We had adjourning rooms and the set up was very cool- like being suitemates back in college! Privacy but the ability to be together- was awesome for 4 of us!
The spa definitely needs some improvements. The employees were all very nice but the services lacked "polish". The building was so beautiful and historic but it has been "updated" in a way that is not keeping with the elegance and refinement of the 1930's. The Relaxation Room was so obviously incongruous that it was annoying to me (Zen-like Japanese? really??). Having said all that, the mineral baths were something that should not be missed on a trip to Saratoga Springs! I would absolutely return to the Gideon Putnam!

Green Features: I love that the Gideon Putnam is environmentally friendly!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Our staff really is wonderful, and we take pride in providing great customer service - thank you for taking the time to say so!. We look forward to your return.
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my husband and two teenage sons in a suite and it was the perfect setup. The rooms were clean and roomy. For a historic property it was well maintained but still had all the charm of a historic hotel. It had very much of a boutique hotel feel.

Winter in the park offers much to do. Wish I had brought appropriate shoes so I could have snow shoed in the park. The hotel provides the snow shoes. Next visit we will stay longer and plan to take part in Sunday brunch. It smelled delicious

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Kerry H
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback and outlook! There really is so much to do in the Park year-round, even in the Winter, as long as you enjoy being outdoors. We hope you come see us again soon.